First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Either you can afford a Bronco or you can't.

From the day I reserved my Bronco, I knew that I could afford it. (we had a signed purchase agreement before I ordered) I waited nearly 2 years, but in those 2 years, I made sure that I was in a better position to purchase my Bronco when it finally came in.

I was driving a paid-off 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 105k miles...I could have traded it in to the dealer or I could have sold it privately. There wasn't a chance in the world a dealership would give me the same amount that I received privately. That is a decision I had to make based on my financial situation. It was a no-brainer for me...purchase the Bronco and sell my Grand Cherokee on my own...for $18,200!

That being said, you should have known the trade-in value and private party value before you even went into the dealership. That info is easy to find online. That way there are no false hopes/surprises when you get to the dealership. You have to be proactive...especially in today's market. Many dealerships prey upon those who don't do their homework...sad, but true.

Really sorry you had a bad experience and that you didn't get the Bronco that you ordered...but it's a lesson learned for you and others who have read your story.
It was a matter of giving them more money than I felt they deserved. I choice to keep mine.
Sponsored

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not sure I understand what you are saying?

If you buy a new vehicle priced at $50,000.00 and they give you $30,000.00 for your trade in then you only pay the taxes on $20,000.00 at whatever you parish take rate is. Versus: New vehicle price $50,000.00 no trade-in and paying taxes on the full $50,000.00. If your parish rate is 10% that would be $2000.00 in taxes versus $5,000.00 in taxes.

If this is what you are referring to???

Thats correct on how the tax credits work. So if you were to sell it outright youd have to get however much they offered you trade plus the tax credit amount. I wanted 23k for my Jeep to sell outright. Dealer gave me 20k. Factor in tax credit that would be about the same as me selling for 22k. It was worth the difference for me to not have to deal with advertising and all the bs that comes with showing to people and tire kickers with no money.

OP
OP
maxey143

maxey143

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So you would have made the deal had the dealer paid you the trade-in value? What exactly is the trade-in value?
yes this is easy information to look up. And yes I would have made the deal. But to me a car is just a car. It is no different than buying a Dishwasher. Are you going to give Lowes $500.00's more for a dishwasher just because Covid hit and they are very few out there? Even though you know it is overpriced? Or are you going to wash dishes by hand for a while and buy it later? The same principle (to me).

OP
OP
maxey143

maxey143

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thats correct on how the tax credits work. So if you were to sell it outright youd have to get however much they offered you trade plus the tax credit amount. I wanted 23k for my Jeep to sell outright. Dealer gave me 20k. Factor in tax credit that would be about the same as me selling for 22k. It was worth the difference for me to not have to deal with advertising and all the bs that comes with showing to people and tire kickers with no money.
I completely get this. That's why I was wanting a fair trade. But I am ok with driving what I have. With the short notice, with Christmas and all the other life events, I didn't want the hassle of trying to sell it. Plus dealer wanting it done ASAP. Would have been a much different story if I would have been produced and delivered in a timely manner.

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
yes this is easy information to look up. And yes I would have made the deal. But to me a car is just a car. It is no different than buying a Dishwasher. Are you going to give Lowes $500.00's more for a dishwasher just because Covid hit and they are very few out there? Even though you know it is overpriced? Or are you going to wash dishes by hand for a while and buy it later? The same principle (to me).
So with that being said, you do realize that you could have gotten thousands more selling privately than trading in? In my situation, I could have traded my Grand Cherokee in for around $14k...I ended up selling it for $18,200.... I came out way ahead, even when losing the tax credit when trading in.

Sponsored

tritonx100

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford explore
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I agree with the other posters, why not just keep your car, buy the Bronco and then sell the car yourself later on? No law that says you need to trade in at the dealer unless you needed the money to but the Bronco. If that was the case, I would have told the dealer that I would be back to finalize the sale of the Bronco and sold the car somewhere else.

I am going to be in a similar situation when it comes time to pick up my new truck. I plan on selling my current pickup, either privately or as a trade in. If the dealer can't come close to what I can get elsewhere I'll just forgo the trade in.
Well clearly he didn't want the bronco after test driving it. Like you said carmax or carvana would have bought his car or he could have private sold it for what he thought was the value. He probably just lazy

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The dealership I delt with tried low balling me for my Infiniti QX, i just laughed at the offer and drove away both in my Bronco and Infiniti QX. I will sell the QX on my own, if I want, I don't need to sell since it is paid off. You should have just bought the Bronco and sold the Acura, since it sounds like you were set to get rid of that car, or the Bronco wasn't everything you thought it would be and you were ok to walk away. Either way, it was your call... Enjoy that Acura 🍻

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Doesn't make sense, you state plenty of money in the area so buy Bronco and sell Acura separately. Dealer was honoring price as well is the rarity here not them low balling a trade. I think you might be the one wasting Ford's time, not the other way around. What did you expect by posting the story?

Sasquatch_SOF

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After having read this thread:

1. I can't find reason to fault the dealer. They called OP to inform OP the vehicle came in. They honored MSRP. It's not the dealer's responsibility to make sure the buyer has the financial wherewithal the acquire the vehicle. Nor is it the dealer's responsibility to offer a fair trade in value in the eyes of the buyer. It also seems like OP never spoke to the dealer prior to or after acquiring the holdover vehicle to get an idea of what kind of trade in value they would offer.

2. I may have missed amongst all of the rambling why OP sold the Camry in the first place to acquire a holdover Acura. My family has gone 1.5 years with 1 vehicle and not only have I resisted buying a holdover vehicle, but I certainly wouldn't go buy a luxury vehicle I knowing I may need to dump it within 12 months. So I'll dial that up to poor decision making by OP.

3. I'm glad OP is not my financial advisor. Too emotional, poor decision making and quick to place blame.

4. It wouldn't surprise me if OP drives a Wrangler irl.

OP
OP
maxey143

maxey143

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Maybe??? Possibly??? but my family is truly cursed by "Murphy's Law"! If it could or can happen it will happen! NOT the headache I wanted. I have enough of my own.

Sponsored

Letagoavs710

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just as an FYI. In some states, such as Colorado, the state government has almost forced you into trading with the dealership you are buying from. If you don't trade with the dealer you are buying from you lose your entire sales tax credit for the trade in.......... and on a $50,000 new vehicle tax can amount to almost $5,.000, which you would receive no credit against. I would guess that the area car dealers got together and PRESSURED the state government to pass such a law?
Yeah, Colorado is a sham in this way.

72F262

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BB 2D, '18 GT350, '72 F250 2wd, '72 Mach 1 CJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Maxey,

Thanks for posting your story. I also want to say I hope your life outside of car buying calms down. I know how fast life can come at you for sure. I think you made the best decision for your particular case, period. Don't worry about what others say, don't understand or frankly just type on a car forum. I can't stand dealerships!!! I have a good relationship with one here locally, but I don't trust them for one minute. As you know in the investment business, it is always about the money....

I hope your family has a great holiday season.

Visitor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Midwest
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It stinks to wait so long and walk away, but I still don't know if I would completely fault the dealership.

When my dealer called and said mine was being built (very unexpectedly) and would be arriving in a few weeks, the first thing I did was start getting quotes on my old vehicle from places like Carmax, Carvana, Vroom, and local dealerships that pay cash. I didn't need to sell it, but I also didn't really have room for another vehicle. The dealership wouldn't make a trade-in offer until the Bronco arrived, and when it did they offered me about $7k less than Carvana.

Maybe it's different because I didn't need to sell or trade in the car to make the deal happen, but I've never really faulted the dealership. It felt like I had prepared well enough that their trade-in offer didn't matter - I had other options. I knew my "worst case" scenario was to sell elsewhere as long as they didn't mark it up the purchase price when I arrived.

But hey, if it isn't the right time anyway, why worry? You'll have another opportunity down the line for sure. (y)

OP
OP
maxey143

maxey143

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After having read this thread:

1. I can't find reason to fault the dealer. They called OP to inform OP the vehicle came in. They honored MSRP. It's not the dealer's responsibility to make sure the buyer has the financial wherewithal the acquire the vehicle. Nor is it the dealer's responsibility to offer a fair trade in value in the eyes of the buyer. It also seems like OP never spoke to the dealer prior to or after acquiring the holdover vehicle to get an idea of what kind of trade in value they would offer.

2. I may have missed amongst all of the rambling why OP sold the Camry in the first place to acquire a holdover Acura. My family has gone 1.5 years with 1 vehicle and not only have I resisted buying a holdover vehicle, but I certainly wouldn't go buy a luxury vehicle I knowing I may need to dump it within 12 months. So I'll dial that up to poor decision making by OP.

3. I'm glad OP is not my financial advisor. Too emotional, poor decision making and quick to place blame.

4. It wouldn't surprise me if OP drives a Wrangler irl.

I bought the luxury vehicle because I was tired of WAITING ON FORD. AND.... I was quite satisfied to drive it since FORD was having SO MANY issues with delivering what they promised!

AND.... I am glad I am not your advisor either, especially with the mentality that a vehicle (depreciate) is more important to you than preserving money that can appreciate.

For your information since you chose not to read all the other posts that did explain the situation. Oh BTW: I did talk to the salespeople prior to buying the luxury vehicle that I was quite happy with keeping pending the decision to buy or NOT buy the Bronco! (WHEN AND IF, it EVER came IN). I explained that my Camry had over 250K miles on it and was starting to have mechanical issues with it. Their comment was: "Use vehicles are at a premium, they are scares"

And none of this has any relevance.... the point was, the dealership was trying to take advantage and I felt when I chose to work with them based on my prior experiences, they would be reasonable. I didn't feel like they were!

AND if you don't want to READ THE RAMBLING WHY are you on the FORUM? Geez can a person NOT SHARE THEIR experience without AZZholes being AZZholes? GRINCH!

OP
OP
maxey143

maxey143

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It stinks to wait so long and walk away, but I still don't know if I would completely fault the dealership.

When my dealer called and said mine was being built (very unexpectedly) and would be arriving in a few weeks, the first thing I did was start getting quotes on my old vehicle from places like Carmax, Carvana, Vroom, and local dealerships that pay cash. I didn't need to sell it, but I also didn't really have room for another vehicle. The dealership wouldn't make a trade-in offer until the Bronco arrived, and when it did they offered me about $7k less than Carvana.

Maybe it's different because I didn't need to sell or trade in the car to make the deal happen, but I've never really faulted the dealership. It felt like I had prepared well enough that their trade-in offer didn't matter - I had other options. I knew my "worst case" scenario was to sell elsewhere as long as they didn't mark it up the purchase price when I arrived.

But hey, if it isn't the right time anyway, why worry? You'll have another opportunity down the line for sure. (y)
I agree, I didn't have to have it. I was quite ok with what I have. I just felt they were WAY off on trade value!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.