Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, I've only owned 4 vehicles in my life, a XJ, Toyota Pickup (22RE), a JK, and now a JL. I have had a Bronco reservation since June 2021, and right now sitting on a Badlands, 2.3L, 7 spd, Non-SAS, MIC order. So, unlike a lot of inquiries here, I don't really mind the Jeep on-road, and I have a JL Rubicon 7 spd (I do prefer the manual in the Bronco from the little bit I've driven it). So.........I'm still debating what I'm going to do, and my criteria is more usage/trip related, so here goes:

Everyday Usage: 250 or so days a year at the beach with gear, sand, salt, etc. That's the primary use, it is my daily driver, but I work from home so that's basically the only place I go. So MGV is a huge deal for me.

Trips/Off-Roading: I'm going on more of those trips now, mostly hiking/trail riding on easy moderates - NC/TN mountains, etc. Locally, I hit some forest roads which are mostly mud/ruts.

JL Pros:
-Already bought and paid for at 8% below invoice - '21 Rubicon - $42,500 out the door. My semi-local dealer on the Bronco is doing invoice pricing, so my Badlands (depending on if it bumps to '23 and I have no price protection) will be around $45k. Some money in aftermarket - DeepSleep mattress, Armorlite flooring (for the sand), Bartact seat covers, tailgate table (door covers), probably $1500 in aftermarket (Some of which I could sell.

-Reliability - yeah, I've never had any real issues with my JK until towards the end with 188k miles. I know the Jeep, etc.

-Hard Top (Winter)/Bikini Top (Summer): I run 6 months on/6 months off between hard top and running just a bikini for rain cover. The bikini works great, Bronco doesn't have a full bikini yet, and yes, the JL hard top is definitely superior to the Bronco (ironically my neighbor has one with a MIC 2.0 - JL is still better).

-Camping - I have the deepsleep mattress, I know Bronco just got one, so somewhat a mute point.

-Width - The Bronco in the time I've been in it is definitely wide and you feel it, a lot of the trails I'm on are tight.

Bronco Pros:
MGV/Vinyl - huge selling point, I've kinda done the same with Armorlite in my JL, but any opinions on rinsing sand out pretty often, let me know. Seems perfect for sand/wetsuits, etc.

Different - it is something different, it definitely has a newness to it.

Long trips - I don't mind the wandering in the JL, but I do fairly certain the Bronco would be more comfortable in longer trips from a seat standpoint.

GOAT Modes/Off Road - I kinda like being able to shift to what I need in a given situation. Crawler gear is interesting, but 1st gear is pretty low on my manual 4.55 JLUR.

That's it I think, I don't really care about adding more packages, etc. I like the Jeep's simple interior, I like the Bronco's blockiness for lack of a better term in it's interior. Anyone that's had both feel free to chime in.
Sponsored

Last edited:

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you had a reservation sense June of 2020 then you should be in the front of the line because I thought Ford did not start taking reservations tell July 14 2020 but if you like your Jeep then keep it if not then dont.

long_road

Big Bend
First Name
TR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
202? 4dr CG Big Bend 2.3 7MT (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Having spent two years obsessing over the Bronco and trying to rationalize my own "need" for it, what I've settled on is that the Bronco is ideal for "beach" people. I'm more of a mountain person. I have a JKU and it's honestly pretty much perfect. I just want the Bronco because it's new and exciting. I was all about a Badlands for the first year and half. Now I've switched down to a Big Bend. Realistically, for me the Bronco will just be a family road-tripper, for the occasions we go to the beach or visit relatives in other states (Florida, Iowa).

For camping, off-roading, trail-running, etc, I've decided to keep my JK.

I don't know if that helps you make a choice, but I would think being a beach-goer 250 days a year would make the Bronco an ideal vehicle for you.

OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you had a reservation sense June of 2020 then you should be in the front of the line because I thought Ford did not start taking reservations tell July 14 2020 but if you like your Jeep then keep it if not then dont.
Whoops, typo, June 2021.

OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll add that with either vehicle, I'm not planning on lifting or probably a winch, most of my off roading will be with other people and a snatch/recovery strap and basic recovery gear is pretty much my limit - again, mostly forest roads with mud, beaches with sand (OBX, Florida), and moderate mountain trails (Pisgah National Forest, Uwharrie, etc.)

Sponsored

Chelsgirl21

Black Diamond
First Name
Chelsea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No reservation or order, we were a week late to put one in.

Iā€™ve been looking at a 2022 JL since dealerships are insane with market adjustments Iā€™m not willing to pay, and with orders being closed. I want a Bronco, but the more time I spend reading stuff here and watching comparison videosā€¦wrangler seems to still take the cake.
I currently have a 2009 JK and itā€™s been awesome, I just want an upgrade and the eco diesel motor. I love the Bronco because of the ā€œnewness.ā€ Jeeps are EVERYWHERE, I feel like I need to just tape my hand to my windows when I drive so Iā€™m not an ā€œasshole who doesnā€™t wave.ā€
Iā€™m not help just wanted to chime in because Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™m going to go test drive an eco diesel soon.

OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No reservation or order, we were a week late to put one in.

Iā€™ve been looking at a 2022 JL since dealerships are insane with market adjustments Iā€™m not willing to pay, and with orders being closed. I want a Bronco, but the more time I spend reading stuff here and watching comparison videosā€¦wrangler seems to still take the cake.
I currently have a 2009 JK and itā€™s been awesome, I just want an upgrade and the eco diesel motor. I love the Bronco because of the ā€œnewness.ā€ Jeeps are EVERYWHERE, I feel like I need to just tape my hand to my windows when I drive so Iā€™m not an ā€œasshole who doesnā€™t wave.ā€
Iā€™m not help just wanted to chime in because Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™m going to go test drive an eco diesel soon.
Yeah, so.....orders for '22 JL's are about to close, but don't buy off a lot, go to a large volume dealer and order exactly what you want for 6/7% below invoice, that's what I did. That's the other issue I may have with going Bronco is the differential between my JLUR price ($43k) and whatever the Bronco invoice price ends up when I get it.

Chelsgirl21

Black Diamond
First Name
Chelsea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, so.....orders for '22 JL's are about to close, but don't buy off a lot, go to a large volume dealer and order exactly what you want for 6/7% below invoice, that's what I did. That's the other issue I may have with going Bronco is the differential between my JLUR price ($43k) and whatever the Bronco invoice price ends up when I get it.
I just donā€™t know what I want to do. I found it a bit reassuring Ford is opening 2023 ordering up for the Mach E in augustā€¦maybe thatā€™s a sign of better times coming!? Plus Ive seen so many deliveries taken this monthā€¦

I just donā€™t know. I think I need to just go test drive a new Jeep this weekend. šŸ˜¬
Sponsored