First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Whenever either GM or JLR or any other auto maker says they’re going to be fully electric by x date, I tend to look at it as wishful thinking or a PR move. Yes I know electric is the future wether we like it or not, they need to focus on the vehicles they are going to either electrify first to even get to that point. In the case of Jaguar, they’re supposed to be bringing back the XJ as an electric where is it? At least GM has more than one vehicle in the pipe right now
Sponsored

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

After seeing how the Windmills and Solar panels froze and failed in Texas, do we really want a "Green Future"?
I see windmills a few times a month on top of hills, but never see the non-recyclable blades moving.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Miami when it gets below 60 degrees:

giphy cold.gif

I'll believe that the companies with the WORST track record for electric anything in their vehicles are going fully electric... yeah...
Currently sitting under a blanket in NC FL. AC is making me cold up in here.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I see windmills a few times a month on top of hills, but never see the non-recyclable blades moving.
Everyone Loves windmills. I was involved in a renewable energy project for a large client who insisted on including a small windmill on top of one of their prominent buildings. When we showed them the DOE wind profile map which clearly showed insufficient wind to power even a small turbine, they suggested including an electric motor to actually make the blades turn.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Everyone Loves windmills. I was involved in a renewable energy project for a large client who insisted on including a small windmill on top of one of their prominent buildings. When we showed them the DOE wind profile map which clearly showed insufficient wind to power even a small turbine, they suggested including an electric motor to actually make the blades turn.
This does not surprise me in the least, virtue signaling at its finest.

Sponsored

grewhi

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maserati MC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No offense but I don't think that Tesla owner cares about the sound of your vehicle. I know a few Tesla owners and what they care about in a vehicle is certainly NOT how it sounds. In fact you don't even know the Tesla is on if relying on sound so they added fake sounds for safety reasons lol
Just like a Prius

OhhhhhhSnap

Black Diamond
First Name
Elan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pathfinder, 04 F150, 14 CRV. 22 BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Lot of ignorance in this thread.

Going to renewable energy is moving in the right direction, and just like traditional fossil fuels they won't be perfect. The technology will advance as we learn.

Not trying to be insensitive here but ya'll in Texas get one/two days of limited power over the last 30 years and everyone freaks out...

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lot of ignorance in this thread.

Going to renewable energy is moving in the right direction, and just like traditional fossil fuels they won't be perfect. The technology will advance as we learn.

Not trying to be insensitive here but ya'll in Texas get one/two days of limited power over the last 30 years and everyone freaks out...
There is really no such thing as "renewable" energy. Windmills are not renewable, I think 68% of a windmill cannot be recycled. Solar Panels wear out (and actually rather easily) cracks me up when they cut down thousands of acres of trees to put in a "solar farm"..nice environmental stewardship. Even a Dyson Sphere sooner or later runs out of "renewable energy"

Well I don't think Texas wants to become California bud

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not trying to start any real debate. And I doubt Im an environmentalist, but I do dabble in looking around and seeing how much we screw up natural systems with out making a proper fix for it. Yeah I'm 100% off grid here in maui, but its easy here. A single hurricane hit can flatten my world any given year. In ohio back in about 2012 or 2013. We had a wind front that passed over ohio for all of about 10 minutes. Knocked down every single power pole in my neighbor hood for a mile in every direction. Took em 2 weeks to get power partially on. It was the middle of summer and a bunch of 90+ degree days. Sure wish I had some solar panels then, but would they have survived? Every generator in town was sold. Sucked but I survived. Had the same thing happen in winter with an ice storm a year later. Kept my house warmish, above freezing atleast with candles for 3 days.

The point is the world is a complicated place and we are not making it any better. Thinking up new ideas and building new power grids to handle the needs of not just the present but the future. A smart solution to electric cars and quick charging could be battery swaps, make a good battery make em interchangable and stackable for your range needs. In the first half of the last century we did alot of work in this country that gave us a serious upgrade. Dams, parks, highways, rails, airports, and grids. Its time to make another big step into the future even if we think we cant afford it or the challenges are too great. I say lets dive in to emerging technologies of all kinds. At the same time lets enjoy the technologies of the past. While we still can that is.

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Yeah, like we did not see the apologists discounting 4 million people without power coming, it was a guaranteed reaction (and it happens way more often then every 30 years).

Already reports of people dying and in critical condition with carbon monoxide poisoning trying to stay warm.

https://poweroutage.us/area/state/texas

Last edited:

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

After seeing how the Windmills and Solar panels froze and failed in Texas, do we really want a "Green Future"?
:rolleyes:

"The main factors: Frozen instruments at natural gas, coal and even nuclear facilities, as well as limited supplies of natural gas, he said. “Natural gas pressure” in particular is one reason power is coming back slower than expected Tuesday, added Woodfin."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/02...rozen-wind-farms-are-just-small-piece-puzzle/

siddious33

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee; 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Back on thread target... I actually think this is a decent move by JLR. Land Rover is making plenty of money. Jaguar has nothing to lose here, and the UK has declared no new gasoline powered cars by 2030, so it's not like JLR is really going out on a limb here.

By all accounts, the Jaguar I-Pace is great, so they have some experience here already. If they get even just a year ahead of everyone else and nail it, then it could really pay off for them. If not, then like everyone else keeps saying, they likely go under anyway, so what's to lose really?

The F-Pace has been a hit in the US not because of its stellar engines (although they're not bad by any means). It's a hit because it is a nice size, it looks fantastic, it's somewhat practical and it's not so expensive as to be unobtainable, especially after 2-3 years of depreciation. None of that goes away with an electric motor.

Now I am curious as to what happens to the F-Type. (For full disclosure, I own a 2017 F-Type R. I dropped my Bronco reservation for 2021 and got the F-Type instead.) That car is a stunner (in my opinion of course) and the soul of it are the motors and the sound and theater they produce with the insane exhaust systems. Performance wise the electric motor won't hurt that car. I imagine even the range will be about the same as my F-Type R, but the character of that car could be ruined by going electric.

Anyway, all manufacturers are going electric relatively soon anyway.
Sponsored