Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is where the costs may begin to climb on the BEV-is-the-future narrative. Many homes may also require a service upgrade in their homes to handle the power requirements of the car charger. And as more homes draw significantly more power needed for car charging, the distribution lines, tranformers and switchgear also require upgrading. More power generation and transmission will be required, which must be designed to handle peak loads in order to avoid widespread blackouts. The national grid is an extremely complicated beast, and keeping it intact and 99.9% available is a tall order. The need for base power generation (not intermitted power generation from wind and solar) will never go away, meaning your ‘green power’ will likely come from natural gas or preferably nuclear generation. It won’t come for free in whatever form it’s needed.

All the infrastructure upgrades don’t come without a cost, and it takes time to build. Land needs to be acquired for power lines and power plants. Mines for copper, aluminum and other battery metals will need to be opened - and the thing greens hate almost as much as fossil fuel production is mining.

With existing power infrastructure there will be a finite amount of BEVs that it can reliably support.

There are many reasons why rapid development of the electric grid infrastructure needed to support widespread adoption of BEVs is decades away. I’m quite comfortable not being an early adopter. Caveat emptor.

Again, all IMO. At any rate, choice is good and I am not trying to diss anyone’s decisions. Be happy with whatever you decide, but make that choice after careful consideration.
I mean charger a car probably uses less electricity than a dryer cycle per top off, and most everyone has a dryer. Infact, you can technically charge from that outlet as well. I don't see it being a huge issue as most houses are pulling more running AC, microwaves, and it's a short charging time for daily charging.

But for older homes that probably use gas, they will need a panel upgrade if they haven't done any recent work which can easily equate to 8k or more in work.
Sponsored

mrjerry469

Black Diamond
First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK DIAMOND
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I cancelled my Lighting rez bc I was annoyed with the issues with the Bronco. I would def consider a hybrid

HCGxKaLiBeR

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I ordered a Bronco for its looks. If I don't get it by 2023 I'm switching to a Rivian R1S.
75k is not that much compare to a 60k loaded WildTrak.

I watched Doug's video and Rivian's claims. Not bad

" Drive through 3+ feet of water. Rock crawl at a 100% grade. Traverse just about any terrain with 14.9 inches of ground clearance. Tow up to 7,700 lbs. With a 0-60 mph time as quick as 3 seconds, depending on your tire selection, it also delivers the on-road handling of a sports car.Âč

For my use case, a truck/SUV that can handle like a Bronco, then outrun a Ferrari is mind blowing.

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

IMO no comparison between the two unless the doors and top come off and has a manual transmission.
Why would you want a manual transmission in an ev? They don’t even have transmissions, right? It’s just instant torque. That’s why they go 0-60 in under three seconds. Who wants to slow their vehicle down?

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Battery costs have been declining about 16% per year but some claim demand will drive costs back up. I think battery technology has the potential to vastly improve and drop in cost. Plus, you can't argue against the performance of instant torque combined with lots of HP.

Ford's V2G (vehicle to grid) as well as others is where I see potential. Having a 100kwh battery pack that could power my house is a big deal. Combine it with rooftop solar at home and/or parking lot canopy solar and you've got a nice solution on how to store solar panel power.

At first I thought an electric truck was the stupidest idea ever, but on further review I realized that for how I would use a truck it is the perfect solution.

I really love the River Simple hydrogen fuel cell car. Ton's of fun new tech out there... I want to try it all, unfortunately my powerball numbers missed again.

Sponsored

kje22kje

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 4Runner TRD Off Rd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think battery technology has the potential to vastly improve
This is it in a nutshell for me. The current/upcoming class of EV's will be the test group. This push and the clear issues with Lithium batteries will drive development of other options (hydrogen?) that will make your Rivian or similar the Beta Max of our era.

Unless they're outlawed, ICE will have a place.

OP
OP

njcoach24

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would like to see hydrogen EVs pursued more seriously.
This was something that I was excited for and would have been better but the powers pushed towards using batteries.

Make no mistake, I wish most of the vehicles could be EV powered by some form of clean electricity, with batteries that were 100% recyclable, and recharged in ten minutes or less
Also would be amazing. And I'm not totally convinced electric is better, I agree with all the comments on mining. I just know if many ICE were electric using one source of fossil fuel to power all the cars vs that one source of fossil fuel plus all the cars that run on them. Obviously if I'm the only person driving electric and the rest of world is burning gas I'm not making a dent in whatever the problem is. I know this is the wrong comment. However, to your comment, I would definitely like to see the same.

when will the mileage tax be imposed (roads are built and maintained primarily upon tax revenue of fuel at the pump at time of purchase); how much the replacement battery will cost in 8 years’ time, what is the depreciation on a BEV given said battery lifecycle, etc.
These are things I don't know and a tax for sure if coming. Any Tesla people on here have any experience with battery replacement and car depreciation? Older Tesla's seem to hold a lot of there value even through the tech that runs them must be pretty outdated at this point.

Drive through 3+ feet of water. Rock crawl at a 100% grade. Traverse just about any terrain with 14.9 inches of ground clearance. Tow up to 7,700 lbs. With a 0-60 mph time as quick as 3 seconds, depending on your tire selection, it also delivers the on-road handling of a sports car.Âč

For my use case, a truck/SUV that can handle like a Bronco, then outrun a Ferrari is mind blowing.
The Rivian does seem badass.

Theres a lot of great comments, discussion, and opinions in this thread. I appreciate everyones posts!

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The people on the Rivian forums are doing that as well. https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/rivian-r1-endurance-during-winter-emergencies.3265/

I'm in Georgia and there was a huge ice storm here a few years ago that had people abandoning their cars on the highway, and almost all of those were ICE vehicles.There are plenty of people cruising around without enough gas in their tank ( or electrons in their battery) to sit idle in a climate conditioned vehicle for 12+ hours.
The difference is a few gallons of gas and you are golden. An ev is just screwed.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A lot of good in depth discussion in this thread, but people seem to be avoiding the elephant in the room. No matter what you think of the Rivian’s looks, it’s range, it‘s environmental impact, or it’s resale value

It’s still a pickup truck.

Ford Bronco Bronco vs Electric Pickup F0A0D2AC-E282-44DD-AD09-E95C36BCE82D

FastAndLight

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, BMW M5, BMW 325iX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The difference is a few gallons of gas and you are golden. An ev is just screwed.
Math doesn't agree with you. From the thread I linked to, they estimate that the resistive heater takes 2-3kw, meaning it takes about 2-3% of the pack, per hour, depending on exterior temps. That is a long way from being screwed.

There is a huge amount of wasted heat and energy with an idling ICE car that is able to provide heat for you (good thing the energy density of gasoline is high compared to current batteries). For a BEV just sitting still, pretty much the only drain on the battery is the climate control.

It seems to me that a lot of people continue to not fully understand how much power is being hauled around in some of these battery packs. Ford and others aren't joking around with the reverse charging stuff where you could power your house from your car during a blackout. The Rivian 135kw battery pack has a lot of power in it. I'm sure a firefighter or someone trained in safely handling those size of batteries in emergencies could speak to it better, but its not some little RC car or something.

Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Math doesn't agree with you. From the thread I linked to, they estimate that the resistive heater takes 2-3kw, meaning it takes about 2-3% of the pack, per hour, depending on exterior temps. That is a long way from being screwed.

There is a huge amount of wasted heat and energy with an idling ICE car that is able to provide heat for you (good thing the energy density of gasoline is high compared to current batteries). For a BEV just sitting still, pretty much the only drain on the battery is the climate control.

It seems to me that a lot of people continue to not fully understand how much power is being hauled around in some of these battery packs. Ford and others aren't joking around with the reverse charging stuff where you could power your house from your car during a blackout. The Rivian 135kw battery pack has a lot of power in it. I'm sure a firefighter or someone trained in safely handling those size of batteries in emergencies could speak to it better, but its not some little RC car or something.
I’m talking about what you do when you have depleted your energy. Someone can bring you gas. They can’t bring you a charge. At least not easily. And speaking of math you arent calculating the significant energy drop with temperature. There is far less efficiency loss with an ice in freezing temperatures. Case in point if I had my bronco and a Mach e in the garage and went to bed with both having 270 miles of range And woke up to 32 degrees and snow the Mach e magically loses almost 50 percent of its range mean while my Neanderthal bronco can still go roughly the same distance. Electric vehicles are still a generation from being viable. Charging times, infrastructure, and above all cost relegates them to after thought. They are no cleaner than ice and in some cases dirtier when you take into account the environmental toll producing them exacts. Finally when the government has to subsidize them like ethanol you know they are shit. In 2000 they projected electric vehicles to make up 20% of new car sales in 2020 they were less than 5%. Instead of forcing a bullshit half baked idea on people they should be focusing on building an efficient grid to support ev’s first. A robust charging network and figure out how to build them affordably with little or no environmental impact. Cars account for less that 10% of pollution in the US. The power plants that power EV are 74% do the math as to what is more ecological

Reactions: LMB

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Lightning reservation that I may use for my work truck. I’m interested in the technology and performance, but I have no delusions about electric vehicles being better for the environment. As long as they are powered off the mains, which are natural gas in my area, at best the emissions are being converted from a fugitive source to a point source. Several here get it and pointed out mining issues, grid capacity issues, emissions issues, etc. Nuclear power the the answer for abundant carbon free electricity, but it’ll never pass muster with the environmentalists.

I agree that conventional hybrids are a better solution, maybe PHEV to get 10-20 miles without gasoline.

Additional road taxes were proposed in AZ before I moved in 2020 and will spread nationwide as gas tax revenues fall.

rgalvinmi

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2 Door, 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Base
So, I am 100% in love with the Bronco. No idea when mine will ever go into production. I also have a preorder from a Rivian Pickup (R1T) Launch Edition which my delivery window is this June. I think I prefer to have the Bronco and if it were offered in hybrid or full electric it would be a no brainer for me. Electric seems to have many advantages of ICE (and many disadvantages too) that I like (and all of these things are debatable).

Advantages to Electric: better for the environment, never have to visit a gas station or car dealership again unless for maintenance, can charge up to 300 miles for $12 bucks, instant torque, 0-60 in 3 seconds, state of the art. Cost of ownership is less over a longer period of time.

Disadvantages to Electric: Can't fill up anywhere in 5 minutes or less, can't fix what I don't understand, network of dealerships that I can take the car to for service is very limited that is, until the Lighting comes out.

Clearly the infrastructure is not ready for all electric but it seems like buying a gas car TODAY is like buying a VHS when Blu-Rays are out. Especially if some of us aren't going to see a Bronco for another year and at which point Ford may be offering an electric version since they want to be what seems like the new Tesla in terms of electric sales. I hate to think that my new 55K Bronco will be outdated in 2 years with all these new electric cars and trucks.

The other thing I am thinking about is best value for my money. The Rivian (or Lighting) can be had for about $75K (-$7,500 tax credit or hopefully to to $12,000 in rebates at point of sale if the laws pass) and are state-of-the-art and fully loaded. That puts the pricing of them within that of a loaded Bronco.

So i guess here is where my question is....what do you guys do in terms of best value for your money if you are between an electric pickup or a Bronco? Anybody else in this camp? I like both the Rivian and Bronco because they are marketed as adventure ready and thats really want I want. Anybody seen any good pictures of the two cars side by side?
Ummm.....I bought ALL three....sort of..... Already received my 2021 Bronco Sasquatch, my 2022 Hybrid Maverick and Have a VERY early order on the LIGHTNING!
Ford Bronco Bronco vs Electric Pickup AMBbronco
Ford Bronco Bronco vs Electric Pickup maverickcactusgray

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why would you want a manual transmission in an ev? They don’t even have transmissions, right? It’s just instant torque. That’s why they go 0-60 in under three seconds. Who wants to slow their vehicle down?
I was being facetious... point is these are two totally different vehicles, how do you compare the two fairly?

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP I'd ask your question to the EV folks sitting on I95 in VA since yesterday. How many of them still have a battery keeping them warm? How many of those EVs will need towed or moved to get traffic flowing again?

Obviously I'm not all in on the EV train. Nothing wrong with them as commuters in a city, but as a rural guy with no interest in urban life, they don't fit. Until you can you charge them in the field while I hunt/fish, or get me to my family 6-18 hours away without adding tons of time to stop places and charge them. I won't be buying one, they just don't fit a rural landscape.
My family lives in rural Virginia, 20 min from a gas station. Your points are valid, but there is also something to be said for them being able to charge/fuel their vehicle from home.
Sponsored