Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On a specific day??? You don't seem to understand extreme temps can last a days or weeks. Some can afford $70,000 toys that can be used when the weather is nice, some use affordable tools that work when needed.
Some people can afford Ferraris for a drive to work. What's the point you're trying to make?
Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

On a specific day??? You don't seem to understand extreme temps can last a days or weeks. Some can afford $70,000 toys that can be used when the weather is nice, some use affordable tools that work when needed.
You are willfully missing the point. You wrote:

Someone post a YouTube video of driving a Tesla in -33 temps from full charge, 2 hours in and 109 miles he was down to 3%. One day the technology might catch up, to make them a viable vehicle in Northern States, but it certainly isn't there yet.
Assuming this is factually true, 109 miles is still 3 times the average daily miles driven (30 miles). So yes, your specific situation might be different, but for many drivers, even in MN, the range still works.

Like a said, a vehicle is just a tool and that tool might not work for your situation, but for your average driver, an EV vehicle might be an effective tool.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

assure, but even with a reduced mileage range do to the weather, it is more than 3 times the average daily driving miles.

A vehicle is a tool and all tools have uses and limitations. Your specific use on a specific day might fall outside the comfortable use of the tool, but that doesn't mean it is a bad tool. That is the mistake people in this thread are making. Identifiable very specific instance the tool doesn't work, then saying the tool it shit.
Good points. I'm actually disappointed Ford didn't announce a hybrid Bronco. I almost dropped my reservation when the 4xe was announced because my commute, when I actually commute, is less than 15 miles.

Folks also bring up the environmental downsides of lithium, which is far from perfect, while ignoring all the downsides of oil.
Mining lithium is messy but generally that mess is localized to the mine. Drilling for oil is also messy but we have pipeline ruptures, tanker spills, and oil platform disasters. Also, many drill sites are environmental messes after the oil has dried up. Then there's fracking and oil sands that have polluted water ways and blah blah blah. The oil industry is far from clean...and then there's the CO2. BEV won't suit everyone's use case today, but looking at the tech coming out in the next few years and there will probably few use cases it doesn't suit

6G_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch 2DR waiting
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am placing an order for a F150 Lightning Pro.

46,500 - AWD, 230mi range, 10k tow capacity, larger interior, swankier interior, more tech.

Well worth it.
Probably 75 miles, probably less when towing 10K. haha

FastAndLight

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, BMW M5, BMW 325iX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good points. I'm actually disappointed Ford didn't announce a hybrid Bronco. I almost dropped my reservation when the 4xe was announced because my commute, when I actually commute, is less than 15 miles.
Completely agree on this. For a vehicle like the Bronco a PHEV could be a good way to close the gap and come closer to having it all. From what I heard, the 4xe's are selling really well. Hopefully Ford's marketing and product teams take note of that. However, given their displayed competence over the last 2 or 3 years, I don't have much confidence.

Reactions: Jdc

Sponsored

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Probably 75 miles, probably less when towing 10K. haha
I was wrong - it's 7,700lbs in Pro mode with the max trailer tow package.

Yes, 100 miles is probably max range when towing. Good thing I don't tow 7,500lbs much and if I do it's locally.

Just like the Bronco is a compromised vehicle - so too will the Lightning Pro be.

230 miles of range means it likely won't leave Ohio for me but that's plenty to be a daily local driver for me.

kje22kje

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 4Runner TRD Off Rd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
and you can keep them longer because they will be updated with a software download.
Same philosophy works with cell phones right? Manufacturers are totally thrilled to continue updating old tech so we can hold onto our devices instead of buying new ones.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Let's not forget that the "tax credits" are our tax dollars being paid to the manufacturers. You are not really saving money you are spending collected tax dollars.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same philosophy works with cell phones right? Manufacturers are totally thrilled to continue updating old tech so we can hold onto our devices instead of buying new ones.
Good point. I’m not anti EV at all, but I would think that when I start buying them, I won’t want to keep long term like I’ve done with my other vehicles. I will want to trade in more frequently like I do a cell phone, so as to stay on top with tech and also battery life.

I had the battery replaced in my Galaxy S10 after two years so I could get some more life out of a phone that’s still working good, but was running out of juice quicker. Can you do that in a car if the rest of the components are still working? I wonder what the cost would be if you can.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good point. I’m not anti EV at all, but I would think that when I start buying them, I won’t want to keep long term like I’ve done with my other vehicles. I will want to trade in more frequently like I do a cell phone, so as to stay on top with tech and also battery life.

I had the battery replaced in my Galaxy S10 after two years so I could get some more life out of a phone that’s still working good, but was running out of juice quicker. Can you do that in a car if the rest of the components are still working? I wonder what the cost would be if you can.
https://electrek.co/2021/12/23/tesla-owner-blows-up-model-s-dynamite-battery-replacement/

Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes you can replace a battery, but they're expensive. On the plus side automotive grade lithium batteries last a lot longer before they drop to 80% of the original capacity. They can usually last about 1500 cycles compared to cell phone batteries at 500 cycles. This typically means you won't have to worry about losing much capacity until you're somewhere in the 200k miles range. Well past the point where most people keep their cars.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Let me say this. Pollution for cars accounts for less than 10% of the pollution the US puts out. Fossil fuel burning for electricity accounts for 74% percent of pollution so the assertion that an electric vehicle is better for pollution is completely untrue since your charge comes most likely from the electric grid. Also battery production and disposal generate a large amount of toxic polluting by products and finally the cost to operate and own a model 3 over 40,000 miles is the same as operating a bmw 3 series so your cost to own argument is moot too. End of the day electric isn’t the magic bullet everyone claims. We really should be working on the grid and related infrastructure if we want to be totally electric. Also factor in the cost of an electric car and it further shows the disadvantages.

I have no problem at all with EV's, but those are the two things that will keep in the ICE camp. Like most this things the Government has it's hands in they always get the cart before the horse. So, I'll stick with the horse that brung me until things are lined up in proper order.

Mike_D

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4D Bronco BD, '23 2D Bronco Base Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve been looking at EVs for quite some time, but I don’t think I can make it work. The “average daily commute” is something I see very often, however our new post-covid reality changes the equation for me quite a bit. My average daily commute is zero. My second property is 320 miles away. Since covid, I have split time between the two locations (20-25 rides per year). There isn’t a lot of charging infrastructure in between, and I believe I’d need chargers at home and at the cabin. I know this an “edge case”, but it has now become my primary use for the vehicle.
Sponsored