First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well yes and no. There is a reason you cant buy these yet. The fact is they are still trying to figure out how to make the Bronco electronics happy. Other issues Im sure include the inherent problems with their design on a street vehicle. This design will wine like crazy. No doubt they will someday figure it out but to date Tibus has the only working portals in the US market.
Who said they were still trying to figure it out? Pretty sure they have, and the only reason they’re not available is because they’re testing them. I’d be willing to bet there will be some fancy YouTube content out there with them on Broncos pretty soon.
Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Absolutely Dana 60 is a greta option. In fact we are a warehouse distributor for Dana and we sell upgrades for Bronco on a daily basis. The question definitely isn't weather or not Portals are better than a D60. The question is what is the best way to gear, add suspension, and maintain ride quality and proper geometry!

In regards to one bad experience with Tibus this doesn't scare me. The question is how has design changed and evolved? Tibus is constantly making changes to make a better product and the competition is still working off from a second generation design. Tibus hs led this industry for twenty years.
Whilst we are on the topic of D60...is there going to be a bolt on portal for the "ulitmate" D60 bronco semi-float housing? Not 100% sure what all would have to change, but for sure the float axles. If you are selling these, you probably know better than me

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some red flags, biggest issue is how you don't end up with to much play in the system as that makes gear contact shift. Its like setting gear pattern on a ring and pinion. A bad mesh will last 1-5k miles and a good mesh will last 150K miles.

1687886968603.png

Icing on the cake
I agree with a lot of what you pointed out but I think the "missing bearing" is just to the left of where your right most red arrow is pointing. So that would leave a hefty "wheel bearing style" dual race bearing outboard the gear, and a normal single race bearing inboard, which would satisfy the definition of "full float".

I also am one of those who would be willing to take a hit on efficiency to have the robustness of 4 gears, but regardless of 3 or 4 gears. These guys are right that a helical gear is superior to the spur gear, assuming you use perfect meshing and adequate bearings to handle the thrust loading.

I don't think its all propaganda, but you are right to bring up some of these red flags. Big one for me is the snapring as you pointed out.

Also, if they are going to force me to ditch my production 6 bolt pattern, why not go all the way to a proper 1 ton 8 bolt? Going to a 5 seems like a big miss. Hopefully that's just CAD mockup.

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well yes and no. There is a reason you cant buy these yet. The fact is they are still trying to figure out how to make the Bronco electronics happy. Other issues Im sure include the inherent problems with their design on a street vehicle. This design will wine like crazy. No doubt they will someday figure it out but to date Tibus has the only working portals in the US market.

I thought I saw Quin reply on IG they were testing the Bronco ones before they start on the Taco ones. :unsure: Maybe I read it wrong. :unsure:

Personally for me the "whine" would not bother me. Back in the 90's I bought a supercharger for my Fox body, but not just any supercharger, I bought a Procharger, back when Procharger was just starting out, 93 maybe '94???? You want to talk about "whine". A P600B will "whine" like no other. Sounded like a top fuel car "whine". No one had to ask if it was supercharged. ;)

So the whine don't bother me. It let's you know I'm coming down the street/trail. If it's whining, it's working. 😁

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Would like to see a side by side comparison of the two. See how they differ

I would too !!!! I have followed 74Weld for awhile now and can say he does test alot before releasing. I think he put his race portals through 1K torture test before "selling" them. I know his shit it built right. ;)

ROCKO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would too !!!! I have followed 74Weld for awhile now and can say he does test alot before releasing. I think he put his race portals through 1K torture test before "selling" them. I know his shit it built right. ;)
Exactly! I know both companies will say they are best in the market. So it be nice to see an unbiased break down in differences and application. As my knowledge about portals is pretty much it raises the bronco at the hub 😂. So to hear more about the two would help a lot.

OP
OP
tmason10

tmason10

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Whilst we are on the topic of D60...is there going to be a bolt on portal for the "ulitmate" D60 bronco semi-float housing? Not 100% sure what all would have to change, but for sure the float axles. If you are selling these, you probably know better than me
There will be this will take different components and we are in developement on this.

OP
OP
tmason10

tmason10

Badlands
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exactly! I know both companies will say they are best in the market. So it be nice to see an unbiased break down in differences and application. As my knowledge about portals is pretty much it raises the bronco at the hub 😂. So to hear more about the two would help a lot.
Yes but a big difference between off road racing and daily driver. Read the Blog post as that is the information drawing the differences you talk about. Tibus has 20 years experience everyone else is just entering the market when it comes to on road and off road capabilities for sure.

Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just checked the Tibus website it shows 6x139.7 for Toyota/Bronco so we're good there. I also think it's worth noting that the biggest difference between these portals and 74's aside from the gear count/design is the fact that 74's are a full knuckle system. The Tibus are bolt on, right to the OEM knuckle.

On the one hand I like the idea of how easy these would be to install, or remove for service. But no doubt the 74's have a strength advantage since they aren't limited to the OEM wheel hub mounting interface. Wheel hubs are very strong but these bolt ons act as a lever and are more than likely being wheeled with bigger tires in addition to that. Would it matter for my level of wheeling? probably not. But its a big difference, nonetheless.

Also, that no doubt increases the wheel offset a bit further from what 74's would be. To some thats a good thing, but I like the idea of minimizing my scrub radius and/or running longer arms for the same given track width. That said, my biggest gripe is still with the aftermarket not offering hardly any high positive offset beadlocks, which would help solve this issue.

I also like that the Tibus units look to come ready for CTIS (central tire inflation system). Thats a no brainer in my opinion. Every portal set up should at least offer the option for CTIS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tmason10

tmason10

Badlands
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Reminder we're live right now if you want to chime in on the IFS vs Solid Axle talk!

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
WOW...other than learning that the portals will eventually be adapted to D60, I learned exactly dick from that whole deal. Have any of you guys considered a career in politics? (o wait...I learned Lonestar's rig has radius rods!)

ROCKO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes but a big difference between off road racing and daily driver. Read the Blog post as that is the information drawing the differences you talk about. Tibus has 20 years experience everyone else is just entering the market when it comes to on road and off road capabilities for sure.
Was not trying to put anyone down, just simply stating my lack of knowledge. I read the blog post great info on Tibus but as I said doesn’t go into detail about 74weld. Not that I’m dismissing 20 year off experience I just want to explore all options. I’d feel like a fool to just jump into anything without being properly informed.

OP
OP
tmason10

tmason10

Badlands
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Personally I feel a solid axle takes away too much from what the Bronco excels at in order to address it's main weakness. There are better platforms if you only need to crawl.
Definitely agree!
I rather you release your rear fuel tank! Or you post up about those Talons Garage Skid Plates.

Instead why are you bothering with Tibus who absolutely have a reputation of being crap? Did Tibus fix it's issues of semi floating design? I watched the Tibus portals burn at the stake on pirate4x4 years ago why relive the pain?

Im sorry could you please give more details on why you call their reputation of being "Crap"?

1st off anytime you have innovators like Tibus designing and doing something that has never been done before that comes with some hiccups along the way. Tibus was the first to ever bolt on Portals. Ill do my best to answer your concerns and BTW I appreciate the comments and discussion, this helps to educate the community on why Tibus is the best in the industry.

PS hopefully you had a chance to read the Blog post because a lot of concerns can be addressed there. Meanwhile just in case here are the links just in case.

https://broncbustertx.com/blogs/bronc-blog/comparing-tibus-top-us-axle-portals-explained

https://broncbustertx.com/blogs/bro...ansforming-the-6th-gen-ford-bronco-experience

Here is some additional information that I believe will answer some of your other concerns that you had as well.

The drive shafts are full float and the vehicle's load is on the large wheel bearings with the flanges and not on the lower shaft.

The gears are guided so well that there is no problems with mesh.

I believe the problems described can only be based on Generations 1 or possibly 2. This old construction has been adopted by other manufacturers. Tibus over 20 years has learned and improved. The others are still trying to catch up.

For 20 years Tibus has equipped more than 500 vehicles with portal axles, which together have driven over 5 million Miles. That should be enough proof of durability.
Tibus portals have passed the very hard TÜV tests in Germany which is a mandatory to get them legal on the road.

Tibus has designed and tested various portal systems, whether with 2 gears, with 3 gears, 4 gears or with a chain.
At the end of a long test, they decided on the best variant, namely 3 gears with helical cut gears.
The portals have been used and tested in all parts of the world. Be it in the desert of Africa, the glaciers of Iceland and Siberia, the forests of the Carpathian's, the German autobahns, in the snow of Norway,
in the outback of Australia and the backlands of Mongolia.

Tibus idea for the development of the portals was not the use in competition but a reasonable elevation for the average off-roader to be able to move his vehicle in all areas.
Of course there are more stable axles, but they are pointless for everyday use and traveling through the wilderness.
Sponsored