First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
WOW...other than learning that the portals will eventually be adapted to D60, I learned exactly dick from that whole deal. Have any of you guys considered a career in politics? (o wait...I learned Lonestar's rig has radius rods!)

Well Im sorry to hear that. What information were we lacking Ill be glad to fill in the blanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tmason10

tmason10

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Who said they were still trying to figure it out? Pretty sure they have, and the only reason they’re not available is because they’re testing them. I’d be willing to bet there will be some fancy YouTube content out there with them on Broncos pretty soon.
I am glad to hear they are testing. There is no doubt that as they test they will work out the bugs and eventually get to market. The fact is they make great race portals but still have a ways to go to catch up on the daily driver experience.

Exodus4x4

Big Bend
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am glad to hear they are testing. There is no doubt that as they test they will work out the bugs and eventually get to market. The fact is they make great race portals but still have a ways to go to catch up on the daily driver experience.
They’ve been working fine on the Jeeps as a daily driver, and now Toyotas. Can’t see any reason why they won’t work just as well on the Broncos or anything else that comes to market.

OP
OP
tmason10

tmason10

Badlands
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How do you plan to warranty and service the Tibus Portals? In house, mail them to the manufacturer or bang on them with hammer?

On to the import stuff, when are you going to make a video of you driving on Tibus Portals? I can hate watch the crap out of that.

Awesome question!

1st off as the North American distributor for all things Portals we will oversee the training of new installers. With that they will come with a 3 year warranty. As far as service depending on the issue we will have parts on hand to be able to take care of whatever part we need to service or warranty. The first stop will be the certified install shop. We plan to be able to quickly address any needs.

Our first set of six are in route and we will be installing and showing the capabilities very soon.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tmason10

tmason10

Badlands
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
tmason10

tmason10

Badlands
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with a lot of what you pointed out but I think the "missing bearing" is just to the left of where your right most red arrow is pointing. So that would leave a hefty "wheel bearing style" dual race bearing outboard the gear, and a normal single race bearing inboard, which would satisfy the definition of "full float".

I also am one of those who would be willing to take a hit on efficiency to have the robustness of 4 gears, but regardless of 3 or 4 gears. These guys are right that a helical gear is superior to the spur gear, assuming you use perfect meshing and adequate bearings to handle the thrust loading.

I don't think its all propaganda, but you are right to bring up some of these red flags. Big one for me is the snapring as you pointed out.

Also, if they are going to force me to ditch my production 6 bolt pattern, why not go all the way to a proper 1 ton 8 bolt? Going to a 5 seems like a big miss. Hopefully that's just CAD mockup.
The drive shafts are full float and the vehicle's load is on the large wheel bearings with the flanges and not on the lower shaft.

The gears are guided so well that there are no problems with mesh.

For 20 years Tibus has equipped more than 500 vehicles with portal axles, which together have driven over 5 million miles. That should be enough proof of durability.
Tibus portals passed also the very hard TÜV tests in Germany which is a mandatory to get them legal on the road.

Right from the start Tibus has designed and tested various portal systems, whether with 2 gears, with 3 gears, 4 gears or with a chain.

At the end of a long test, (20 years) they decided on the best variant, namely 3 gears with helical cut gears. Three gears is stronger than 4 gear.

The portals have been used and tested in all parts of the world. Be it in the desert of Africa, the glaciers of Iceland and siberia, the forests of the Carpathians, the German autobahns, in the snow of Norway,
in the outback of Australia and the backlands of Mongolia.

The Tibus idea and development of the portals was not the use in competition but a reasonable elevation for the average off-roader to be able to move the vehicle in all areas.
Of course there are more stable axles, but they are pointless for everyday use and traveling through the wilderness.

As far as 8 bolt this is totally unnecessary. Even Quin at 74 Weld has been quoted saying the very same thing. All manufactures can agree on this.

OP
OP
tmason10

tmason10

Badlands
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They’ve been working fine on the Jeeps as a daily driver, and now Toyotas. Can’t see any reason why they won’t work just as well on the Broncos or anything else that comes to market.

Work yes. But no doubt there are issues to still answer. They are tried and tested in Racing but the average Bronco owner wants increased capabilities while maintaining the daily driver. I believe over time as the others evolve and catch up with Tibus they will continue to adopt designs that have been tested and proven for on road.

see the comparisons I have outlined in this Blog post.

https://broncbustertx.com/blogs/bronc-blog/comparing-tibus-top-us-axle-portals-explained

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As far as 8 bolt this is totally unnecessary. Even Quin at 74 Weld has been quoted saying the very same thing. All manufactures can agree on this.
I agree 8 bolts is unnecessary, I am glad that they are (according to their site) retaining the 6 bolt pattern. My point was that if you were going to change the bolt pattern, 5 bolt would make little sense, and at least with an 8 bolt you have a huge selection of HD offroad wheels to choose from, not that the 8 bolts are necessary.

Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Shhhh!
Personally for me the "whine" would not bother me. Back in the 90's I bought a supercharger for my Fox body, but not just any supercharger, I bought a Procharger, back when Procharger was just starting out, 93 maybe '94???? You want to talk about "whine". A P600B will "whine" like no other. Sounded like a top fuel car "whine". No one had to ask if it was supercharged. ;)
My first car was a 78 Mustang II (I know, Pinto with a V8). I replaced the timing chain with gears just for the "whine". I was the coolest kid in the high school parking lot until one of the rich kids got a brand new 5.0. :cool:

Exodus4x4

Big Bend
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Absolutely but will have a few other problems to still address. Here are some examples to help explain.

https://broncbustertx.com/blogbronc-blog/comparing-tibus-top-us-axle-portals-explained
I
Work yes. But no doubt there are issues to still answer. They are tried and tested in Racing but the average Bronco owner wants increased capabilities while maintaining the daily driver. I believe over time as the others evolve and catch up with Tibus they will continue to adopt designs that have been tested and proven for on road.

see the comparisons I have outlined in this Blog post.

https://broncbustertx.com/blogs/bronc-blog/comparing-tibus-top-us-axle-portals-explained
Reading through your write up it seems the only thing you’re eluding to is gear whine, but have you actually heard it on a set of 74Weld portals or is it just speculation? Honest question.

Also, I’d venture to say any portal that can handle an Ultra4 race, repeatedly, is probably going to meet the off-road needs of even the most aggressive Bronco driver.

I’m not trying to discount any claims Tibus has or even say they’re not a decent option, but I want to be clear and honest about what exactly the pros and cons are rather than throw claims around that may or may not be a accurate. That’s what the consumer needs.

OP
OP
tmason10

tmason10

Badlands
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I

Reading through your write up it seems the only thing you’re eluding to is gear whine, but have you actually heard it on a set of 74Weld portals or is it just speculation? Honest question.

Also, I’d venture to say any portal that can handle an Ultra4 race, repeatedly, is probably going to meet the off-road needs of even the most aggressive Bronco driver.

I’m not trying to discount any claims Tibus has or even say they’re not a decent option, but I want to be clear and honest about what exactly the pros and cons are rather than throw claims around that may or may not be a accurate. That’s what the consumer needs.
Very good questions. Once we actually see on the road with 74 weld we will see. Yes speculation based on Knowledge and education of what happens with straight cut gears. There is a reason all modern transmissions use Helical gears and not straight cut. I have never sated any claims about 74. If they have somehow figured that out that is awesome. My research is only to educate on the differences.

Also I agree 74 weld has tried and true Race application. This is not our customer base. We strive to give the best of both worlds. Clearance, Gearing while maintaining ride quality and geometry. To date its been my research nobody has been able to accomplish all of this expect TIBUS.

PS your 30 minutes from my house Id love to come meet you in person I have heard very good things about you and your shop.
Sponsored