Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond on 37s
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sorry for sounding a little harsh, but I was really interested more in Lonestar's build, but he didn't seem to wana really talk about it tech wise, and most of what he said sounded either untrue, or at least, needed more explanation. So 1st off he admitted that they don't have a workaround for the missing PSCM...ok, I get that, and I don't think anybody would at this point, but he followed that up w/"complete abs delete"...ok, that got my attention cause the 4600 teams have struggled w/that one, but in his next sentence he says his speedo is accurate? I gotta know how that is possible! Not saying its not true, just wana know how its possible...or is the answer proprietary?

EDIT: Not asking how to recalibrate it...I know how to do that...asking how it can possibly work at all?
I've been poking around considering doing an axle swap and 4 link this winter on the rear and every person I've talked to has thrown out the verbiage "we did an abs delete" in forscan. My guess is some lights are getting turned off, they say everything critical still works but obviously no abs/tc/goat modes etc. and I was told the transmission speed sensor will run the Speedo.

Ive been working on an abs fix, at least for the rear, because I don't think that will be to hard. It's a 44 tooth wheel setup similar to the Jk/jl/jt. The front is a lot more complicated, they use a much higher tooth count tone ring/reluctor with the teeth on the inside. The bronco wants to see % difference between wheels as they turn so you can't run duplicated signals or a wheel on the pinion either.
Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They have sensor in the transmission and the axles are geared to the correct r
I've been poking around considering doing an axle swap and 4 link this winter on the rear and every person I've talked to has thrown out the verbiage "we did an abs delete" in forscan. My guess is some lights are getting turned off, they say everything critical still works but obviously no abs/tc/goat modes etc. and I was told the transmission speed sensor will run the Speedo.

Ive been working on an abs fix, at least for the rear, because I don't think that will be to hard. It's a 44 tooth wheel setup similar to the Jk/jl/jt. The front is a lot more complicated, they use a much higher tooth count tone ring/reluctor with the teeth on the inside. The bronco wants to see % difference between wheels as they turn so you can't run duplicated signals or a wheel on the pinion either.
MT doesn't have one. Was my understanding that OSS on auto trans is only for OBD compliance, but I wouldn't know as I don't own one. On mine no ABS=no speedo...I have tested this. Would be better to hear from the guy who did the build, if the module is still plugged in, but disabled in forscan, then it probably still sends VSS signal over CAN, and it still relies on wheel speed sensors to do that. If he was able to completely eliminate the module and all sensors, then I'm confused!

Last edited:
OP
OP
tmason10

tmason10

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Interesting
Portals on a Bronco is easy! Portals tested and functioning is another story. I understand that eventually they will get the bugs worked out and will be able to release to market. The key is they still have. a lot of testing to do and this I assume is why they haven't released to market yet. It is also my bet that they will soon change design to a Helical gear as they will learn that straight cut on IFS will not give a very good "Daily Driver" experience. They will be load I don't care what they say they have done to work this out. The reality is even Hummer has gone to Helical. They are best suited in racing and leaving the Daily driver experience to the pros.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Portals on a Bronco is easy! Portals tested and functioning is another story. I understand that eventually they will get the bugs worked out and will be able to release to market. The key is they still have. a lot of testing to do and this I assume is why they haven't released to market yet. It is also my bet that they will soon change design to a Helical gear as they will learn that straight cut on IFS will not give a very good "Daily Driver" experience. They will be load I don't care what they say they have done to work this out. The reality is even Hummer has gone to Helical. They are best suited in racing and leaving the Daily driver experience to the pros.
I agree that the helical gear is superior to the spur gear, in basically every way aside from manufacturing cost (which is not irrelevant) and system design/simplicity. Both have to be meshed well regardless. That said, 74 weld has plenty of legitimate experience with their 4 (spur) gear set up, and it's obviously bulletproof under extreme use. Perhaps long term, 150k mileage will be a different story but where's the Tibus unit with over 150k miles on a Bronco? Or any rig that has been wheeled at all seriously?

I'd recommend you focus your marketing on the legitimate and relevant differences between the two designs which have pro's and cons each, Namely the bolt on capability and helical gears. and lay off the claims which seem to be unsubstantiated. Such as "74 Weld is working out the bugs". There is no evidence that there are bugs to work out, and it would be unwise for any company to bring a product to market in a new application with no documentation of its success in that application (road going, daily driver Bronco). Not Race Bronco, Not Jeep, Not Landrover, all that prior experience is great, but nobody should be touting their product without showcasing its performance in the intended application.

74 Weld is beginning to do that now in their videos, and nobody doubts they will be bringing it to market very soon. On that note, the idea that Tibus is the only player in the game right now is misleading. Can I buy their units right now? no. With how close both products will presumably be available to market there is no sense in focusing your marketing there.

Its clear that both units will be available in parallel and people will be choosing one or the other based on the pros and cons. Perhaps people are going a little easy on 74 weld, but between the 2 options they have way more footage of the system in question. Can we get some footage of the Tibus units on a Bronco? That would be pretty helpful to see!

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
0BBxL93qvyfo0cNa (2).jpg

"Robert Kranz aka "Oilworker" oe "Oily" was the first to mount the prototypes of our portals on his Defender 130. He took part in various competitions such as the Breslau Rally, Africa Eco race, Dakar Rallye, Polar circle and many more and had no damage to the portals. When he drove into a stone wall at 50 km/h in Africa, the front axle was bent and the axle guides on the frame were torn off, but the portals were undamaged. He drove 2,500 km back to us with the bent axle, where we then replaced the axle and repaired the frame. Robert has covered 250,000 km with the car with portals without changing the portals. He had posted his experiences in the expedition portal.
As already mentioned, these were the first prototypes of portals. The later changes affect the housing material, the material of the gears, changed bearings, stronger wheel bearings, other shafts and CV's.
The only problems on the prototypes were oil leaks. With the new design, these problems have been fixed.
If "Oily" used the prototype portals for 250,000km, without issues, why did Tibus feel the need to change the housing material, gear material, bearings and shafts? Did Tibus realize they may have overbuilt the prototype and decided to save money? Is there a vehicle on the latest design that has reached 250,000km?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I also think it's worth noting difference between these portals and 74's is that 74's are a full knuckle system. The Tibus are bolt on, right to the OEM knuckle.

On the one hand I like the idea of how easy these would be to install, or remove for service. But no doubt the 74's have a strength advantage since they aren't limited to the OEM wheel hub mounting interface. Wheel hubs are very strong but these bolt ons act as a lever and are more than likely being wheeled with bigger tires in addition to that. Would it matter for my level of wheeling? probably not. But its a big difference, nonetheless.

Also, that no doubt increases the wheel offset a bit further from what 74's would be.
Kinda wondered how big that void was in the knuckle, wow. Glad no one was hurt and kind of surprised we haven't seen others with similar breaks from hard off-roading.
200w.gif

*Glad there's at least two Co's working on portals, even tho I may never be able to afford either option

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

200w.gif

*Glad there's at least two Co's working on portals, even tho I may never be able to afford either option

Should we start keeping track????

Pros:

74Weld >>>>>>> Billet Knuckle

Cons:

Tibus >>>>>>> Hollow knuckle

😁

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

country of origin? Is that still a metric?
US>>>>>>>>>>>>Overseas?
Imagine going full send and the leverage against the factory knuckle upon landing.
why would anyone bolt on stuff and then go full send just to do I….. never ms I started laughing before I even finished

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Imagine going full send and the leverage against the factory knuckle upon landing.

It's the infamous "Raptor jump" from years ago all over again. But with more carnage. ;)

Sponsored

3People1Body

Wildtrak
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, F150 and Taurus.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I see Jeeps frontends breaking all the time, watch any of the Utah YouTube channels.... Keep IFS. At least I am. A stock Bronco can do Pritchett Canyon with the right driver, and not flip over.

I think BroncBuster is trying to solve a problem, but the problem is not with the Bronco it's with him.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see Jeeps frontends breaking all the time, watch any of the Utah YouTube channels.... Keep IFS. At least I am. A stock Bronco can do Pritchett Canyon with the right driver, and not flip over.

I think BroncBuster is trying to solve a problem, but the problem is not with the Bronco it's with him.
Damn.
I thought this was going to be a July 4th update post with a YouTube video about :
1) America
2) Overseas company stealing American jobs (for you geographically challenged folks Germany is not only overseas but we did fight a war with them, once or twice)
3) and us poor veterans getting the shaft again

but the day isn’t over

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

By the way Tyler, who programmed your Hoss 3 rack?

How's the ICON tie rods your using now holding up? do you sell there stuff now too? Did you get your transfer case/bad gears figured out?

IMHO portals or solid axle will NOT help a person with horrible off road driving skills.
Sponsored