Sponsored

Just Can't Do MIC Top

Deleted member 2346

2 Question to those who have seen the MIC top up close and felt it:
1. Does it have the bumps/texture/pimples that wranglers have on their black tops or is the MIC completely smooth?
2. Does anyone know if the wranglers bumps/texture are a result of the top’s material or due to a textured paint? (Point is maybe the MIC will be easier to paint)

What I’m trying to figure out is how easy the MIC top will be to paint (in gloss). The wrangler black top takes a lot of sanding to get it smooth enough for gloss paint because of the texture/pimples. If I’m paying to paint the darn thing, I want it gloss color-matched lol.
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1. Does it have the bumps/texture/pimples that wranglers have on their black tops or is the MIC completely smooth?
2. Does anyone know if the wranglers bumps/texture are a result of the top’s material or due to a textured paint? (Point is maybe the MIC will be easier to paint)

What I’m trying to figure out is how easy the MIC top will be to paint (in gloss). The wrangler black top takes a lot of sanding to get it smooth enough for gloss paint because of the texture/pimples. If I’m paying to paint the darn thing, I want it gloss color-matched lol.
Close up of MIC

Ford Bronco Just Can't Do MIC Top 1605658371622

OP
OP
dcg2

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MIC is textured and will need sanded for gloss surface.

coolrain

Badlands
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger, 2014 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What do you mean? If you get a BL everything will match? Why is that?
I have since learned it won’t.... not sure we have seen the final version yet. I hope the plastic is is all the same or close

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have since learned it won’t.... not sure we have seen the final version yet. I hope the plastic is is all the same or close
Gotcha. I'm going with CG. I love that color with the orange BL accents. Even with gray mic top I'm thinking it won't look bad. Not as good as black would, but I think the gray won't stand out (negatively) like it would on red, orange, etc.

I guess that's the beauty of saying fuck it if you hate it when it arrives.

Sponsored

dpav02

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I share in your frustration. I wanted the modular hardtop with the slide-out tailgate but I guess they're "late availability" now I have to re-think what I want and if I want to wait.

I'm thinking I'll stick with the soft top until I can purchase the modular top.

If the slide-out tailgate can easily be installed later, fine. But I wouldn't be interested in unbolting the entire back half of the trim pieces to get it in. That sort of depends on how they design it.

And if I'm going to be waiting for that, then I might as well wait for the modular hard-top too *sigh*.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've settled on a 4 door FE in Lightning Blue and I had myself talked into taking it to the paint shop day 1 and getting the MIC top, b pillar, mirror caps, flares, and grill painted.

Mostly because everytime I see the MIC top i throw up a little in my mouth.

So it looks like I'm going to be ordering my FE with the modular painted top.

Anyone have an idea of how that will go down when its time to order? Its not like the modular top is even an option on B&P...

Can I order it with the MIC top and add the modular on to the order so I can melt the MIC one with a flamethrower when it comes in?

And anyone care to speculate on what "late availability might mean?

I tried to like the MIC top but as the basic white girls say: I cant even
I'm thinking you will be able to get a modular top towards Sept of 2021 through parts

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gotcha. I'm going with CG. I love that color with the orange BL accents. Even with gray mic top I'm thinking it won't look bad. Not as good as black would, but I think the gray won't stand out (negatively) like it would on red, orange, etc.

I guess that's the beauty of saying fuck it if you hate it when it arrives.
Badlands has carbonized gray grille and wheels and they look to match the MIC top pretty well

Sponsored

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So it truly is a plastic top? Lol
Yes, the MIC is a polyacetal engineered polymer (plastic), and not a composite/fiberglass top like on the jeeps.

::quick edit::
If you're going the Line-X route make sure you mention to the shop that it's a polymer (plastic) top and not composite/fiberglass.
The places I've talked to said adhesion would be questionable unless they could gut the top of all hardware and windows then encapsulate the pieces in a cocoon. That way, there won't be any tape line edges to start peeling up if it does lose adhesion.

Last edited:

Mango&Moose

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion xB / Toyota Sienna. RIP my 96 Ranger Splash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hell, at this point I think I'll go soft top on my BL and then buy a used MIC for cheap.

I can't justify $4k for a roof that contains $90 worth of materials. I'd be a buyer later at $2500, I'd probably be out at $3k.

Hopefully aftermarket will step up and make a roof that looks good and doesn't leak.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm getting closer and closer to waiting for the modular hard top and almost hoping it moves me into the 2022 vehicles.

williamoneal

Outer Banks
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F250 - Probably won't make it till the Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I agree. I think the grey top is brutal. A black or white top would be better and given the option would be the overwhelming choice over the grey. Rushing to get it out is why grey is only choice.
Agree

williamoneal

Outer Banks
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F250 - Probably won't make it till the Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hell, at this point I think I'll go soft top on my BL and then buy a used MIC for cheap.

I can't justify $4k for a roof that contains $90 worth of materials. I'd be a buyer later at $2500, I'd probably be out at $3k.

Hopefully aftermarket will step up and make a roof that looks good and doesn't leak.
At this point, I have more faith in aftermarket than Ford. I hate making a $60k decision relying on aftermarket rather than Ford.
Sponsored