Sponsored

Keep me from making a mistake - would these wheels look good on an overlanding rig? Other suggestions?

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2023 Ford Bronco| Vapor D569, 17x9 Wheel with 5 on 4.5 and 5 on 5 Bolt Pattern - Black Machined with Dark Tint | 4wheelparts.com

I feel like in the last week I've been posting on here *way* too much - so apologies to anyone who's sick of seeing my screen name.

With all the changes and constraints I've decided to personalize my Badlands (assuming it ever gets built...I'm an optimist). I'm turning it into an overlanding rig (I live in Colorado and am going to go overlanding/dispersed camping with this but would like to do it in style). For the "look" (plus obviously functionality) I'm going to initially be adding a trailrax w/ pax rack roof rack (getting the light bar cutout version and will eventually add a light bar), possibly some pod lights on the A pillar/pocket lights in the Mod bumper, some kind of bull bar bolted onto the mod bumper, and new wheels (eventually bigger tires when the badlands 33s wear out).

My dealer works directly with 4 Wheel Parts here and warranties the work. Given that I have my price protection, they're honoring x-plan for me, and the $ I'm saving by having removed Tow/Sas/Lux - I can roll that initial savings into aftermarket stuff into my loan. I know it's not a "smart" use of money...but screw it you only live once and I've wanted a vehicle like this since I learned to drive (almost 30 years).

Anyway as soon as my Badlands rolls onto the lot and the deal is done I'm going to have them stick on a leveling kit and new wheels (will likely keep the 33" Badlands tires for a while - I know the 35s look more "aggressive"...but I've heard the 33s that come with the Badlands are actually pretty good tires so I think I'll just roll on those until it's time to replace them).

Anyway I posted a link at the top of my post with some wheels I'm looking at. To *me* they look like they'd be a pretty nice/aggressive looking choice...but I know fuck all about offroad vehicles/overlanding rigs. So I wanted to reach out to the collective wisdom of this site and get some opinions. Are those going to look good? Or are they the vehicle equivalent of truck nuts and jeep angry eye lights?

People always say "who cares what other people think just get what you like!"...but since I have a lot of time to think about this I'd rather put some thought into it. Wheels obviously aren't cheap and it would suck to buy something that I hated almost immediately.

So...help? Any thoughts or suggestions (including for other wheels...like I said I don't know what I'm doing) would be greatly appreciated! Bonus points if you want to share pics (with make/model of wheel) of aftermarket wheels you put on yours.
Sponsored

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We are stoked to hear you want to run our rack set up! It sounds like you're super excited to get the ball rolling on your build! While we obviously love a nice rack, we also love a good looking wheel and tire package! In our opinion, some of the best looking and performing wheels on the market come from Fifteen52 and Method Race Wheels!

If you want to have the most function off-road, go with a small diameter wheel (17") and a 33" or 35" tire. This will give you the most amount of sidewall cushion while driving off-road. The general rule of thumb is bigger sidewall = smoother ride and better traction!

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We are stoked to hear you want to run our rack set up! It sounds like you're super excited to get the ball rolling on your build! While we obviously love a nice rack, we also love a good looking wheel and tire package! In our opinion, some of the best looking and performing wheels on the market come from Fifteen52 and Method Race Wheels!

If you want to have the most function off-road, go with a small diameter wheel (17") and a 33" or 35" tire. This will give you the most amount of sidewall cushion while driving off-road. The general rule of thumb is bigger sidewall = smoother ride and better traction!
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm new to the offroading/overlanding world and am extremely excited to jump in. Love the rack and I'll definitely give those wheels a hard look! I know that my dealership (in conjunction with the local performance shop they work with) carries Method Race Wheels. Not familiar with Fifteen52 but I've got nothing but time today so I'll go give those a hard look.

Thanks again and keep producing fantastic products! I can't wait to (eventually) get my hands on everything and start putting it all together.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They'll look good but at -12 you'll have a good 2-3" of tire poke on non-squatch if that matters to you. Just don't get those 5 lug wheels you linked. ;)

Reactions: Dom
OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They'll look good but at -12 you'll have a good 2-3" of tire poke on non-squatch if that matters to you. Just don't get those 5 lug wheels you linked. ;)
Haha ok fair enough - like I said I'm pretty new to this. Appreciate the advice - I looked at both Method and Fifteen52 and really like the looks of both. My dealer/aftermarket shop carries both so I have some hard thinking to do. Leaning towards the Fifteen52 right now...but unfortunately I don't have to make a quick decision. Despite waiting 2 years no VIN yet...

I don't mind the tires poking out - was planning on a more aggressive stance anyway. I'll likely upgrade the fender flares at some point...

Sponsored

A51Asheville

Black Diamond
First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Sas Mid Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I may be in the minority (or not) on Forge Wheels: I don't like 99% of the wheels they offer. Just look wise, they scream "I over paid for these" to me. Again 100% opinion based. They are know to make a quality product but just don't scratch the itch I have for simple and functional.

22MavXLT

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT, 22 Maverick XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Here they are on my wife's Bronco, but these are 20x9...
Ford Bronco Keep me from making a mistake - would these wheels look good on an overlanding rig?  Other suggestions? tempImageAljHkt
Ford Bronco Keep me from making a mistake - would these wheels look good on an overlanding rig?  Other suggestions? tempImage41jrCc

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am not a big fan of bronze but think the spoke pattern looks good. And looking at the specs for the 17x9 wheel in the correct bolt pattern (6x139.7) they are available in either a 20mm or -12mm offset. I would go with the 20mm offset myself as -12 with a 9" wheel is approaching bro-dozer territory. Oh, and at 38lbs they are bit on the heavier side.

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I may be in the minority (or not) on Forge Wheels: I don't like 99% of the wheels they offer. Just look wise, they scream "I over paid for these" to me. Again 100% opinion based. They are know to make a quality product but just don't scratch the itch I have for simple and functional.
Yeah that's what I'm (slowly) coming around to. The more I think about it the more I want something that looks a little more "solid". Posted this above (but reposting anyway) leaning more towards something like this now:

2023 Ford Bronco| Fifteen52 Turbomac HD Classic Wheel, 17x8.5 with 6 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern - Satin Black - THCAB-78569-00 | 4wheelparts.com

Sponsored

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I really like the American Racing Baja's at the bottom of the page/link or the Helo HE904 even.

But that's just me the simpler wheels let the tires do the talking... So To Speak.

And save you hundreds to spend on those quality tires.

Those AMR are 4 for the price of 3 of the ones you picked and almost 2 to 1 on the Helo(s).

Last edited:

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The more I think about it the more I want something that looks a little more "solid"
Check out Black Rhino for a wide variety of the more solid and/or military look. I am also partial to my Warn Jackhammers that are of the same theme.

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really like the American Racing Baja's at the bottom of the page/link or the Helo HE904 even.

But that's just me the simpler wheels let the tires do the talking... So To Speak.

And save you hundreds to spend on those quality tires.
Not bad looking wheels...not exactly what I'm looking for but I'm sure they'd look great

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model