Sponsored

Last Call: Manual vs. Auto.. Why? (HELP!!)

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looks like you can’t with BB but you can BD.
Whoa that might be a game changer! I was going to just have seat heaters added aftermarket... not sure what else in the mid package I really need though... what’s everyone’s main feature they want from mid package?
Sponsored

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah I know you have to squeeze the ring on the shifter to go over to R or C, but curious if you can start in C and keep on riding up through the gears. Time will tell! I’m very excited for a crawler gear.

RRaptor

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve owned MTs but never with a crawler gear. Does anyone know if you can shift from crawl to first while moving? Or do you have to come to a complete stop before shifting over and up to 1st?
6C027B78-09BF-49CB-A392-0DB80EB27630.png
The old granny gear in Ford pickups you could shift out of into second while moving. It was pretty clunky and you normally just started in 2nd gear.

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
The old granny gear in Ford pickups you could shift out of into second while moving. It was pretty clunky and you normally just started in 2nd gear.
Yeah exactly. I’m not really thinking it’s necessary more just curious. Thanks

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
2022 with a 7/14 reservation date? That’s crazy. What time of day did you place your order?
Placed it in the morning but the email shows 9 pm central .......... I don't think they know so it's not going to change my course and I'm too lazy to spend the energy of shopping a different dealer

He did say not many have dropped out

Last edited:

Sponsored

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What?? Everything I've read recently is no mid with MT in BB or BD. You have to step to a BL for mid and MT.
It’s kind of ridiculous and that you can’t pair it with those trims. I could understand if it was to lower the complexity for production of the 21MY, I’d hope to see that change it the future model years. What’s the point of having the manual standard and not let you pick the only package option to it.

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

AZSky

Heritage
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heritage, Mach E, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

To be fair the Mustang Mach-E GT will out perform 99% of All Mustangs that ever existed both at the quarter mile and on the track. Performance aided by electric motors will be ridiculous in the next 10 years.
That's my concern that such times will be here sooner than expected ( and with high gas price) and hence I am attracted to the Base to spend less to loose less when I upgrade to el. motors assisted Bronco.

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's my concern that such times will be here sooner than expected ( and with high gas price) and hence I am attracted to the Base to spend less to loose less when I upgrade to el. motors assisted Bronco.
Sad but probably true.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Whoa that might be a game changer! I was going to just have seat heaters added aftermarket... not sure what else in the mid package I really need though... what’s everyone’s main feature they want from mid package?
The heated seats are the main reason for the mid package for me. The reverse sensors are a secondary reason.

Sponsored

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
The heated seats are the main reason for the mid package for me. The reverse sensors are a secondary reason.
Yeah I think I only want the heaters so I’ll skip the package. A good kit is affordable and takes a good upholstery guy a couple hours to install.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I’ve owned MTs but never with a crawler gear. Does anyone know if you can shift from crawl to first while moving? Or do you have to come to a complete stop before shifting over and up to 1st?
I am not sure of the synchronization or lock-out mechanism Ford will be using with Bronco, however, with my 4WD Honda Civic, 6spd manual transmission, the crawler gear (They called it "Super Low" or "SL") had a mechanical lockout. and also synchronization.

Meaning, the vehicle had to be somewhere between 500-800 rpm (idle was ~700 rpm) and at a vehicle speed of between exactly 0-2 mph in order for you to be able to manually enter SL. At any rpm or speed over that, you could simply not synch the engine speed to the SL gear and you were entirely locked out. That was also a mechanical in that SL was in the same location "on the knob" as you see in your image above, however, in reality, SL was about 3" further left from 2nd instead of 1/2" (note: It was a 6-speed, not 7-speed, so "6" in Bronco is where the Civic's Reverse was)

For Bronco, i'm expecting the more modern approach that has become tried and true.

1. Vehicle speed must be between 0-2 mph
  2. RPM must be at or near idle
  3. lift the ring below the shift knob to manually disconnect the pin blocking the gate
  4. Additional pressure leftward or downward (depending on what gear is "above" SL to engage the synchros.
  5. *Guessing at this one* Ford has touted the SL not needing clutch application or some method of smooth roll off from a stop. Could simply be a function of the 95:1 crawl ratio (assuming 4.7 gearing), i'm not sure.

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am not sure of the synchronization or lock-out mechanism Ford will be using with Bronco, however, with my 4WD Honda Civic, 6spd manual transmission, the crawler gear (They called it "Super Low" or "SL") had a mechanical lockout. and also synchronization.

Meaning, the vehicle had to be somewhere between 500-800 rpm (idle was ~700 rpm) and at a vehicle speed of between exactly 0-2 mph in order for you to be able to manually enter SL. At any rpm or speed over that, you could simply not synch the engine speed to the SL gear and you were entirely locked out. That was also a mechanical in that SL was in the same location "on the knob" as you see in your image above, however, in reality, SL was about 3" further left from 2nd instead of 1/2" (note: It was a 6-speed, not 7-speed, so "6" in Bronco is where the Civic's Reverse was)

For Bronco, i'm expecting the more modern approach that has become tried and true.

1. Vehicle speed must be between 0-2 mph
  2. RPM must be at or near idle
  3. lift the ring below the shift knob to manually disconnect the pin blocking the gate
  4. Additional pressure leftward or downward (depending on what gear is "above" SL to engage the synchros.
  5. *Guessing at this one* Ford has touted the SL not needing clutch application or some method of smooth roll off from a stop. Could simply be a function of the 95:1 crawl ratio (assuming 4.7 gearing), i'm not sure.
Good info. That makes sense on the RPM ”lock” - I’m interested in the clutch less application. You don’t mean that the truck will idle in C without the clutch engaged, right? That would be very interesting... do you just mean you can feather it more easily before stalling? Or that you don’t need the clutch to shift to 1 from C?

RiverRat001

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Fusion, 18 Grand Caravan, 78 F250, 81 CB750F
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1. horsepower handicap. For me, it’s about 100hp. I have as much fun in a 200hp manual as I do in a 300hp auto.

2. auto enthusiasts tend to simultaneously complain that manuals are dying while also refusing to buy new. I want to be justified when I moan about #savethemanuals. I love the Bronco, I can afford one, time to nut up or shut up.

3. I’m one of those people that cringes everytime my auto hunts for a gear or has a poorly timed (or poorly executed) shift. I miss that control.

4. My wife tells me I can get it whatever way I want. She also said I can configure the Bronco to my liking.

=manual

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it’s like other transmissions with a granny gear there is no issue shifting from the straight cut first gear to the spiral cut second. It is shifting down into first while moving that is where the problem is. You can rev match but the gear is so steep that it is a pain so it is best to be stopped or at least almost stopped. That said, if you are rock crawling and you need to downshift into first you probably already had to stop anyway.
Sponsored