Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I prefer Grizzly, but I think I got mine when they were much cheaper than other brands and I got blaze orange! Maybe 7-8 years of hunting with them and no problems.

The thing about the ice-holding contests is that they, usually, don't account for getting in and out of the cooler multiple times. In the real world, all of the environmental factors are going to make more of a difference than the ice challenges between quality coolers.
Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for the constructive thoughts, I did not even consider an electric cooler. Let the research begin.
No problem. The websites for ARB and Dometic have a lot of good info, plus you may find a few good YouTube videos. I own a Dometic CFX35 which is small, but plenty for a weekend trip and isn't too big and it doesn't weigh a ton; plus, no ice.

For a battery, I have a Jackery 1000, but Goal Zero are good too. You don't need a 1000 series to power your fridge overnight, a 500 will do and saves some money.

That said, a portable battery isn't necessary and definitely not up front.

Other thing about that cooler, it can be your emergency fridge or garage deep freezer at home. They are very efficient and don't use much power as they are very well insulated.

DETT

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

John Bronco_ I am here

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnbronco.com
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '08 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for the constructive thoughts, I did not even consider an electric cooler. Let the research begin.
I would also suggest you check into the world of cooler/fridge/freezer 12 volt units that are available today. Many different units out there at all price points. There is even a nice looking ARB unit in the Bronco catalog.

Once you get used to the cold storage, it is one of those things you ask yourself how you ever got along without. For instance, keeping your frozen items between the grocery store and the house. Having to not mess with ice or soggy items. Cold drinks on long road trips.

They take up about the same or even less room than the Yeti style (extremely thick walled) ice chests. Ford has even placed a 12 volt outlet on the passenger side of the cargo bay with its primary use being to power a fridge.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I work at a company with road techs who keep coolers on their work trucks and we had "cooler wars" last year to see if spending the extra money was worth the result. The Yeti out preformed, Rtic, Shiti, Igloo, Lifetime and Ozark. I don't mind spending a few extra dollars.
Ford Bronco Let's talk coolers #NeverYeti

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, 1971 Z28 R/S
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So I don't know about you guy's but my wife and I are finally jumping on the boat and buying a Yeti cooler for the Bronco. I was against the Roof rack for a MIC top due to the extra steps to remove the top, but I think the roof is the best mounting location. So has anyone had any cool idea's on where they plan to mount one or store one?
I would suggest you find another location for that heavy cooler other than the MIC top. In talking with employees at Webasto even they were surprised with the amount of flex in the MIC top before windows are installed. Not saying anything is going to happen right off the bat but I wouldnā€™t want to put that much stress on a removable top over a long period of time of use. Early preproduction MIC tops had lots of rattling that most likely will be fixed in production units but there is also the weatherstripping to take into account. Keep in mind that a cooler with its ice, food & beverage items inside, and eventually water creates a lot of movement, something that gets amplified on an off-road vehicle! I know it would drive me crazy if later on my MIC top began to rattle and leak . Also you would be placing a brick on top of a larger brick šŸ˜†. That will probably mean a 1 to 2 miles per gallon loss in fuel economy. And lastly as somebody who has camped a couple hundred times and dealt with the placement of large coolers usually the best place I have found is either inside the vehicle or on a hitch mounted rack. The convenience of being able to stop and grab something out of the cooler and not having to crawl up on top of the vehicle and the ease of loading and unloading plus vehicle dynamics will be better without having all that weight so high off the ground.

GOODVBZ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford escape, LR4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just bought a king crab orange tundra 45 because Iā€™ve been off for too long and I do bad things when that happens.

Love it but please donā€™t put it on the roof

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For real the fridges are way more sustainable.

t_bucket

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This is just a thought, but @Beach_Bum is right that a dynamic load of a cooler full of stuff and ice will suck on the highway and even light trails. Strapping down that cooler properly will be a hassle.

Have you thought about a plug in cooler/freezer? If you're going to spring for a Yeti, keep in mind they don't hold much unless you buy the really expensive and big ones that cost $500+, then you have to source ice and any food in there can get soggy.

You can plug in an ARB or Dometic and be good for your trip. If inclined, you can buy a battery to power the cooler overnight and remember, there is no ice to buy.

Once you do the math, a powered cooler isn't much more expensive.

As far as where to put anything like this, put it in the back and strap it down back there. Put water, gear box (not recovery gear) and tent on the roof with your shovel and axe.

Others, please chime in.
Totally agree here, I have a couple yeti's (thanks mostly to them sponsoring the CCA and having great deals at the annual banquets). But once I built out an off road tear drop I went with a National Luna weekender fridge, and I won't be looking back. I move it back and forth from the tear drop to my Jeep now, and it is great to have. It just so much more convenient and effective.

1) If I was going on a longer trip and had more beer than I could fit in the cooler I knew I would need to get ice when I refilled the cooler, with the fridge I put 2 in the fridge side, 2 in the freezer side and the rest outside, and just rotate them as I consume.
2) No more soggy food. I can pack the fridge and when I get home I know it is all good and it goes right into the home fridge. Also if we cook and have leftovers I can put them in the fridge and not worry about them melting the ice or sinking in the water.
3) With the one with a freezer compartment, I can keep Ice for whiskey, and things like Ice Cream that you just can't do easily otherwise.

But you do need to be power conscience, eg have solar or dual batteries, or start the car every day or so to recharge the battery. Most fridges do have a low voltage cut off that turns them off before the battery is fully drained.
When I got the National Luna there were not a lot on the market, now there are tons to pick from, and my Yeti's nearly never leave storage.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yeah, I work at a company with road techs who keep coolers on their work trucks and we had "cooler wars" last year to see if spending the extra money was worth the result. The Yeti out preformed, Rtic, Shiti, Igloo, Lifetime and Ozark. I don't mind spending a few extra dollars.
This testing you refer to is interesting, i'd be interested to know more about the testing parameters!

We have a rather extreme camping trip to the middle of a dry lake bed in late August every year for 2 weeks and we've had these "cooler battles" every year for about 5 years as different brands come and go, the two mainstays are, of course, Rtic and Yeti.

These coolers have been tested over a few years out in full sun and a few years under 80% aluminet. Daytime temps average about 105-115 and nighttime temps the past few years have averaged between 87-92 degrees, with the first few years being near freezing.

Yeti, Rtic and Maluna all performed nearly identically in terms of ice consumption and content temperatures. I find the form factor of Maluna to be it's biggest negative, pun intended, and the price of Yeti to be jaw dropping for what you get. Rtic hits that sweet spot of size, capacity, function and price for me.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35ā€™s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cooler goes in the back, Iā€™d discourage the roof rack idea for COG & sun exposure.

Some personal perspective... Iā€™ve come full circle from regular coolers > rotomolded > full blown dual battery system + Engel Platinum fridge. They all have pros & cons.

Ultimately Iā€™ve decided to return to a rotomolded cooler using frozen bottles of water for ice. Why?

The fridge was awesome but very expensive, $1000 fridge + $1000 dual battery system + two AGM batteries. Donā€™t get me wrong it was great having a fridge but with a smaller vehicle like a Bronco I donā€™t want a dedicated solution. Iā€™m looking to go back to basics. Less is more.

A good cooler can easily support a five day trip on the desert, Iā€™ve done it many times. Be smart about how you plan your food, pre-chill your cooler before departure, more whiskey & less beer, and donā€™t use loose / bagged ice. Instead of normal ice I recommend finding some reusable plastic bottles that fit well in your cooler and then fill with H2O and freeze. This keeps the cooler dry and provides a cool drink of water now and then.
I have a 2D on order and will 100% be using my Bronco as a wheel > camp > wheel machine. If I can fit everything I need in a 65 liter backpacking pack then I can live like a king out of a 2D.

I guess my parting advice is keepit simple. good luck!

PEACE.

reidski29

Wildtrak
First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Expedition, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I still think the ROI on the breakeven point between the cost of a YETI cooler and a couple bags of ice is pointless. Also, have fun trying to get that sucker on top of your roof! Just get a roof basket or put it in the back.

Alright I read so more of the posts, and edited my response. Geez you people are really into coolers! I just have a classic Coleman. I still don't see the need to buy a Yeti and pretty much protest it. But to each their own!

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Cooler goes in the back, Iā€™d discourage the roof rack idea for COG & sun exposure.

Some personal perspective... Iā€™ve come full circle from regular coolers > rotomolded > full blown dual battery system + Engel Platinum fridge. They all have pros & cons.

Ultimately Iā€™ve decided to return to a rotomolded cooler using frozen bottles of water for ice. Why?

The fridge was awesome but very expensive, $1000 fridge + $1000 dual battery system + two AGM batteries. Donā€™t get me wrong it was great having a fridge but with a smaller vehicle like a Bronco I donā€™t want a dedicated solution. Iā€™m looking to go back to basics. Less is more.

A good cooler can easily support a five day trip on the desert, Iā€™ve done it many times. Be smart about how you plan your food, pre-chill your cooler before departure, more whiskey & less beer, and donā€™t use loose / bagged ice. Instead of normal ice I recommend finding some reusable plastic bottles that fit well in your cooler and then fill with H2O and freeze. This keeps the cooler dry and provides a cool drink of water now and then.
I have a 2D on order and will 100% be using my Bronco as a wheel > camp > wheel machine. If I can fit everything I need in a 65 liter backpacking pack then I can live like a king out of a 2D.

I guess my parting advice is keepit simple. good luck!

PEACE.
$4 worth of dry ice is also a great way to keep your cooler in great shape for a week! If you plan your packing and keep the frozen meats for your last few days near the dry ice you've got a fantastic setup.

By far and away the winner of our cooler battles was a guy with a Yeti Tundra 350 (This is a $1,300 commercial cooler, but he's also a sports fisherman, so he already had the unit) and less than $10 worth of dry ice. He had fresh meats and veggies for the entire 2 weeks just by keeping the dry ice on the ends and rotating around the items to thaw inside the cooler as needed.

I have excluded his setup from the cooler comparison above as the others hadn't used dry ice, and I prefer not to use dry ice as I like the ice for cocktails so that method doesn't work for me.
Sponsored