DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I struggle with this but at the end of the day I will probably end up with another 4cyl turbo and get the Bronco 2.3 Manual. I will then mod it and add 100 hp and torque and that should be enough to make me OK with not getting the 2.7 except that modding the 2.7 would make even more power. Damn this hurts.
Sponsored

difficulTT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW Alltrack, 2010 Ford F150, 2006 Mini JCW Checkmate
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I struggle with this but at the end of the day I will probably end up with another 4cyl turbo and get the Bronco 2.3 Manual. I will then mod it and add 100 hp and torque and that should be enough to make me OK with not getting the 2.7 except that modding the 2.7 would make even more power. Damn this hurts.
tenor.png

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
RupertH

RupertH

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rupert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mostly
I'm getting a little tired of all the suggestions that you can mod the engine to make more power. I've got a crazy idea, how about allowing me to buy the power in the warrantied package from the manufacturer that they already offer other less discerning buyers? If I wanted a car without a warrantee, I'd buy a used one... except that that won't be an option either, because there won't be any used manuals- those will be purchased by people who won't give them up easily.

OP
OP
RupertH

RupertH

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rupert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mostly
On a related note, anyone remember Trunk Monkey? I want something similar in an app. Imagine I'm surfing autotrader or ford.com and I select manual transmission as a filter. Then I click a suggested link and when the details show an automatic instead, the service dispatches a nearby monkey to smack the offending poster in the nuts with a lead pipe.

If the details list a manual, so I continue to peruse the pictures and am caught unaware by the sickening horror that is the PRNDL causing me to throw up a little in my mouth, they get two whacks.

Anyone good at coding? I'd pay good money for that app.

Sponsored

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm getting a little tired of all the suggestions that you can mod the engine to make more power. I've got a crazy idea, how about allowing me to buy the power in the warrantied package from the manufacturer that they already offer other less discerning buyers? If I wanted a car without a warrantee, I'd buy a used one... except that that won't be an option either, because there won't be any used manuals- those will be purchased by people who won't give them up easily.
True,

Used manuals will be unicorns. My plan is to have this vehicle for the rest of my life. I am in my 50's.

TXRancher

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Whatever you do, don't wreck it. I owned an FR-S manual and when it got totaled, I could not find an acceptable replacement. Either they were cars with far too many miles, had countless mods put on and taken off or were 2k above what I got from Insurance to replace it and that is when I could find an equivalent at all and was 200 miles from my home.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ya'll know this isn't a Ford transmission right? yea ford should have sourced a HD truck trans because this is a halo vehicle! Or developed their own manual from scratch! sheesh....
The transmission was developed by "Getrag-Ford," which is a joint venture company between Ford and Magna PT based in Cologne, Germany that develops transmissions for Ford and other automakers. This IS a Ford transmission.

You're right about the torque capacity being too close for comfort. Even with the high output version, one simple tune of the 2.7 and it's over the capacity. I was hoping they might pair it with the 2.7 in the later years, but this confirms that it will never happen. It would have to be another manual, that's made for trucks.
https://getrag-ford.com/files/theme/downloads/6MTI550_Storyboard_20191010_wo_contact.pdf

Read about it - the torque capacity is scalable to 480ft-lb for Light Commercial Vehicles or 590ft-lb in passenger vehicles. They could do it if they wanted.

It will never happen not because it can't handle the torque, but because they'd have to cast an all new midplate-bellhousing piece to mate up the 2.7, and then Ford would have to do go through the time and effort of calibrating and emissions testing the engine, all of the drive modes, and everything else. It'd get worse gas mileage than the 10 speed auto and hurt Ford's cafe ratings. It'd have a low take rate.

Manual take rate on the Corvette from 2014 to 2019 dropped from 50% to 20%. Manual take rate on the Tacoma is only 5%. The Wrangler is roughly 10%. Ford is reeeally throwing enthusiasts a bone by offering one at all - I was convinced they wouldn't until the 7MTI550 was revealed. Ford knows how many sales they're losing by not offering it, and they know it's not enough to care.

OP
OP
RupertH

RupertH

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rupert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mostly
Manual take rate on the Corvette from 2014 to 2019 dropped from 50% to 20%. Manual take rate on the Tacoma is only 5%. The Wrangler is roughly 10%. Ford is reeeally throwing enthusiasts a bone by offering one at all - I was convinced they wouldn't until the 7MTI550 was revealed. Ford knows how many sales they're losing by not offering it, and they know it's not enough to care.
I believe that historically, the manual take rate on Vettes is under 30%. On an unrelated note, my experience has been that ~70% of Corvette owners are douchebags... Of course correlation is NOT causation! ;)

Many enthusiasts have been beaten down by the lost offerings, and some are chasing 1/4 mile times and such, so as soon as autos didn't suck at life, they became more interesting to part of the enthusiast crowd.

I'll say it for the 1,000th time, part of the reason for the low take rate on most vehicles is because of how they tie the manual to certain engine/option packages. Buyers that like (but don't demand) manuals will purchase what's available on the lot with an automatic based on other options they are looking for. The Toyota manual is very limited in the Tacoma. I'd be curious to see the take rates adjusted for only packages that allow the stick- I think you'll find they are much, much higher within those constraints.

difficulTT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW Alltrack, 2010 Ford F150, 2006 Mini JCW Checkmate
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The transmission was developed by "Getrag-Ford," which is a joint venture company between Ford and Magna PT based in Cologne, Germany that develops transmissions for Ford and other automakers. This IS a Ford transmission.

https://getrag-ford.com/files/theme/downloads/6MTI550_Storyboard_20191010_wo_contact.pdf

Read about it - the torque capacity is scalable to 480ft-lb for Light Commercial Vehicles or 590ft-lb in passenger vehicles. They could do it if they wanted.

It will never happen not because it can't handle the torque, but because they'd have to cast an all new midplate-bellhousing piece to mate up the 2.7, and then Ford would have to do go through the time and effort of calibrating and emissions testing the engine, all of the drive modes, and everything else. It'd get worse gas mileage than the 10 speed auto and hurt Ford's cafe ratings. It'd have a low take rate.

The take rate will always be lower, sure. But I'd really like to see how the math works out when they dont limit the combination of a manual with the smaller engine, or the base spec, etc...

If the demand and take rate would continue to be so miniscule, then I can't see it hurting CAFE standards all that much.

They had already decided to spend the time and dollars to integrate a manual transmission offering, why not simply engineer it so that one transmission could serve both motor offerings?

Mini is one of a few brands left that offers a manual transmission in their entire lineup. And yes, the take rate is only around 11%, but it is around 45% on the 2-door hardtop, arguably the most iconic car in the lineup.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30208649/mini-manual-transmission-is-back/
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/24/mini-manual-transmission-take-rate/#:~:text=Mini manual transmission take rate is 11% for 2019 | Autoblog

Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yea, and the new 10 speed GM HD trans is an Allison ;) . Ford didn't make this transmission. That said, I don't doubt it COULD work with the 2.7. I do doubt that Ford would want to warranty that combo. Regardless, if I had to choose 1 engine to offer the transmission on for any reason, whether that be CAFE compliance or manufacturing volumes or warranty or additional development (as you pointed out), I would choose the 2.3. It is the better fit. Maybe they will offer it with the 2.7 later, maybe if the take rate is high enough to justify the investment without being too high to hurt CAFE compliance? We'll see.

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
VW sportwagen and alltrack had a fairly high take rate.

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I owned a manual transmission honda civic hybrid. I was able to do 5-6 mpg better than an auto. If you know how to hypermile, a manual will ALWAYS give you better gas mileage than an auto.

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was actually looking at purchasing an alltrack and of course I would never get the auto. Resale values on the TDI manuals are MUCH higher than the autos. I expect the same for the Bronco.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Used manuals will be unicorns. My plan is to have this vehicle for the rest of my life. I am in my 50's.
I'm in the same boat... 50+ Crowd & I'll have this vehicle for the rest of my life.

As I've said in other post..... I've settled for the greater good & others benefit all too often and too may time before. Now that I'm older, I'm not going to settle nearly as often, as it's time for me to put Myself As The Priority in My Life......
Sponsored