First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right, so are you not getting a Bronco if they don't offer a 2.7?
As I've stated before.... I have Sentimental (Very Strong and I will not discuss what this is in an open forum)& Nostalgia reasons.....

I will most likely wait till 2022 or 2023 to see if they will offer the MT for the biggest engine offered. (85% chance of doing this / 15% chance of getting the Slushbox)
Sponsored

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yea, and the new 10 speed GM HD trans is an Allison ;) . Ford didn't make this transmission. That said, I don't doubt it COULD work with the 2.7. I do doubt that Ford would want to warranty that combo. Regardless, if I had to choose 1 engine to offer the transmission on for any reason, whether that be CAFE compliance or manufacturing volumes or warranty or additional development (as you pointed out), I would choose the 2.3. It is the better fit. Maybe they will offer it with the 2.7 later, maybe if the take rate is high enough to justify the investment without being too high to hurt CAFE compliance? We'll see.
Ford Bronco Limited Manual Options?! giphy (32)

The fact that there are rarely manuals left at the end of the sales season suggest you're wrong.

What I'm really curious about is how the numbers would shift if everyone ordered what they wanted rather than what the dealers decided the customers want.
That's the point I always try to make. Go ahead and try to find a recent Ram Cummins manual. They made a small handful each year and it became near impossible to find. While I was shopping for my truck, there was 2 in my entire state of Arizona and they were 2wd. I HAD to settle for an automatic.

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As I've stated before.... I have Sentimental (Very Strong and I will not discuss what this is in an open forum)& Nostalgia reasons.....

I will most likely wait till 2022 or 2023 to see if they will offer the MT for the biggest engine offered. (85% chance of doing this / 15% chance of getting the Slushbox)
Sounds good. Sounds like you are more a biggest engine fan vs manual transmission. I certainly would like to drive the MT before I order one because if the MT is a dog, I have some thinking to do.

OP
OP
RupertH

RupertH

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rupert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mostly
That's the point I always try to make. Go ahead and try to find a recent Ram Cummins manual. They made a small handful each year and it became near impossible to find. While I was shopping for my truck, there was 2 in my entire state of Arizona and they were 2wd. I HAD to settle for an automatic.
We need another reaction emoji- I want to like this, but I also want to hate this...

This is what I've been trying to say: Configuration limits plus stupid dealers effectively relegating the manual to the bargain bin kill manual sales, not lack of buyers. One choice is to settle, the other is to not buy. I chose to not have a truck.

DonovanJM

First Name
Donovan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang, 2014 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We need another reaction emoji- I want to like this, but I also want to hate this...

This is what I've been trying to say: Configuration limits plus stupid dealers effectively relegating the manual to the bargain bin kill manual sales, not lack of buyers. One choice is to settle, the other is to not buy. I chose to not have a truck.
Can't you order your truck with the options you want? You don't have to only get what is on the lot. Or am I misunderstanding and you are saying that you can't option your vehicle the way you want even if you order it yourself?

Sponsored
OP
OP
RupertH

RupertH

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rupert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mostly
Can't you order your truck with the options you want? You don't have to only get what is on the lot. Or am I misunderstanding and you are saying that you can't option your vehicle the way you want even if you order it yourself?
Depends on the situation. In the case of the truck, I really didn't want a diesel, and really didn't want to pay the premium for that engine just to get the tranny I wanted. Also, they cancelled it before I was financially able to do it anyway.

On my current car, I missed the order window by about a week, so my only option was to buy from dealer stock. I wanted a sunroof, but that wasn't an option for me.

Also, ordering may require you to buy sight unseen because they often close orders before they start deliveries. Plus, you have to plan for MSRP purchase, because there may be great incentives today, but in 3 months when your car shows up, those deals have passed. Nor have I figured out a way to buy an ordered car through Costco or USAA. If someone knows how to do that, I'd love to know.

DonovanJM

First Name
Donovan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang, 2014 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Depends on the situation. In the case of the truck, I really didn't want a diesel, and really didn't want to pay the premium for that engine just to get the tranny I wanted. Also, they cancelled it before I was financially able to do it anyway.

On my current car, I missed the order window by about a week, so my only option was to buy from dealer stock. I wanted a sunroof, but that wasn't an option for me.

Also, ordering may require you to buy sight unseen because they often close orders before they start deliveries. Plus, you have to plan for MSRP purchase, because there may be great incentives today, but in 3 months when your car shows up, those deals have passed. Nor have I figured out a way to buy an ordered car through Costco or USAA. If someone knows how to do that, I'd love to know.
I wish Costco would do that. As far as I know they just give you a small discount at local dealers.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is actually an excellent comparison, because you can only get a stick on a Wrangler with the base engine. Change to the turbo 4 or the diesel, you're stuck with an 8-speed auto.
Yes, but the enthusiasts don’t consider those engines upgrades over the v6 anyways. Whereas the 2.7 is a clear upgrade over the 2.3

Sponsored

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Yes, but the enthusiasts don’t consider those engines upgrades over the v6 anyways. Whereas the 2.7 is a clear upgrade over the 2.3
The 2.0L turbo has 30 lb.-ft. more torque at the expense of 15 horsepower compared to the 3.6 Pentastar. Horsepower is irrelevant in most off road applications, and especially rock crawling, where Jeep is currently king. Torque, however, is desirable. The 3.0L diesel is a dog for horsepower but a god for torque. By the numbers, either engine is better for the application than the Pentastar.

The 2.3L EcoBoost is, again, by the numbers, better than either of Jeep's gas options. If it's tuned the same as the Ranger's 2.3L, it will have the same HP as the 2.0L turbo, which means the same 15 hp deficit under the 3.6L, but more torque than either of them, and by a significant margin over the 3.6L.

So I would submit the suggestion that the 2.3L EcoBoost is already an upgrade over the 3.6L Pentastar, and that's before taking into account that you're not driving a Fiat.

OP
OP
RupertH

RupertH

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rupert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mostly
So I would submit the suggestion that the 2.3L EcoBoost is already an upgrade over the 3.6L Pentastar, and that's before taking into account that you're not driving a Fiat.
Based on the torque curves I've seen, you're probably right as long as you spend all your time over 2500 RPM...

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.0L turbo has 30 lb.-ft. more torque at the expense of 15 horsepower compared to the 3.6 Pentastar. Horsepower is irrelevant in most off road applications, and especially rock crawling, where Jeep is currently king. Torque, however, is desirable. The 3.0L diesel is a dog for horsepower but a god for torque. By the numbers, either engine is better for the application than the Pentastar.

The 2.3L EcoBoost is, again, by the numbers, better than either of Jeep's gas options. If it's tuned the same as the Ranger's 2.3L, it will have the same HP as the 2.0L turbo, which means the same 15 hp deficit under the 3.6L, but more torque than either of them, and by a significant margin over the 3.6L.

Oh, I agree that the 2.3 is better than the penta star. Jeep bro’s will point out that their turbo4 and diesel are unreliable compared to the penta Star so they prefer the penta Star.

OP
OP
RupertH

RupertH

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rupert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mostly
With a 94.8:1 ratio won't thinking of touching the throttle take you over 2500 RPM? ?
I suppose if you drive around in traffic using the crawler gear, sure.
Sponsored