Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro ZL1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've heard from a lot of people they're for registering on a jig for initial frame welding, which makes the most sense of all the theories about them, but I haven't found a source for 100% confirmation of that. What I do know is they're not used for any OEM configuration, they're made of thin steel, there's no benefit that I can see for them being there in a crash (especially if you're installing a winch tray in there), and there's nothing I could possibly think of to use them for. What I do know is that when you cut them off, you'll notice a lot of rust underneath the tabs that were welded on (I'm in a desert environment and it was only a year old, there was still a lot of rust hiding in there when I cut into mine). Seems like they welded them on and couldn't get any paint or coating in that area, so that's a spot I could see rusting out first in the years and decades ahead if they're left intact. Only reason to leave them there that I can think of is if you're a car collector and want to keep it 100% original, which is only important if you're not putting any miles on it. My take, Broncos have no use for vestigial nipples...cut them off if they're in the way.
Thanks for the clarification and explanation!
Sponsored

Bcol2012

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro ZL1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So not to be impatient but…….any updates after your scheduled teardown on the 13th?

OP
OP
Lobo Off-Road

Lobo Off-Road

Wildtrak
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lobooffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So not to be impatient but…….any updates after your scheduled teardown on the 13th?
Unfortunately, have a couple time sensitive projects, with one of my other companies and had to push this a couple weeks.

Hatman

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unfortunately, have a couple time sensitive projects, with one of my other companies and had to push this a couple weeks.
I'd be more than happy to install it on my 2.7 for testing purposes.... I'll even document install if it helps getting my winch out of my den any sooner!

OP
OP
Lobo Off-Road

Lobo Off-Road

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lobooffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'd be more than happy to install it on my 2.7 for testing purposes.... I'll even document install if it helps getting my winch out of my den any sooner!
Thank you for the offer. I know the winch skid will fit, and winch. The thing holding everything up is the lack of time currently to design, test fit, and create documentation of the install. I am concerned that the majority will be turned away from the product, when they see the in depth procedure for the install. It will be right there with the rough country install on complexity. A guarantee that:
  • water lines will need to be modified
  • heat exchanger mounting tabs will need to be cut off
  • horns on the front of the A arm cross member will need to be cut off (needs to be done, regardless (2.3/2.7)for winch to be in the location
  • heat exchanger water pump relocated

Sponsored

Hatman

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for the offer. I know the winch skid will fit, and winch. The thing holding everything up is the lack of time currently to design, test fit, and create documentation of the install. I am concerned that the majority will be turned away from the product, when they see the in depth procedure for the install. It will be right there with the rough country install on complexity. A guarantee that:
  • horns on the front of the A arm cross member will need to be cut off (needs to be done, regardless (2.3/2.7)for winch to be in the location
I was fine with the RC modifications but like your design a thousand times more. I will continue to have patience and appreciate your attention to putting out quality products!

OP
OP
Lobo Off-Road

Lobo Off-Road

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lobooffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was fine with the RC modifications but like your design a thousand times more. I will continue to have patience and appreciate your attention to putting out quality products!
Thank you for the patience. Will keep everyone updated

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Coming from the RC side, I would've chosen your mount 10x over if it was available when I was shopping around. The whole idea of a hidden winch is for better clearance, so why wouldn't you choose the one with better clearance? Those that want it for what it is won't care about the complexity of the install, it's a given for this particular application. As long as the documentation and kit is complete, makes sense, and works together, you'll have a winner. RC had a lot of detail in their documentation, but there were a few things missing, and alignment was off in places anywhere from 1/2" to a full 1"...bending those steel plate to get bolts in is no easy task and especially frustrating when it's being bolted to a bumper designed in-house to match up with it.

One thing, since the kit is still in prototype land, you might take a look at Mishimoto's high mount intercooler. There's potential to really clean up the front end and have a standard full size fairlead up in the middle of the bumper. Would probably provide more clearance than the 4600 Bronco winches and get that fairlead up where it's always accessible. I immediately thought of your winch mount when I saw it and how well they might compliment each other.

Here's a thread I ran across today with some pics of it:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/mishimoto-high-mount-ic-installed.70105/

Rogueshark18

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT, 1969 F100 4x4, 1969 Mustang Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Lobo Off-Road I'd be willing to pay a premium if there is an option to ship with pre-modified/custom water lines.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@Lobo Off-Road I'd be willing to pay a premium if there is an option to ship with pre-modified/custom water lines.
I understand where you're coming from. Before I did the RC install, I considered buying another set of lines that I could modify to the right length and have them ready to go, a plug and play install rather than cutting and modifying lines on the vehicle, but it turned out to be a non-issue. The water line mods aren't really difficult to do at all, in fact, it was one of the easier parts of the install. Since you'd be removing the entire line rather than just clamping off existing lines, installing new lines would likely mean draining the coolant system and still making a mess anyway. It would likely end up being less work to modify them yourself on the vehicle, all things considered.

Sponsored

Mario3241

Base
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Base
So, have we established that there’s no free-spooling a Harbor Freight Badlands with this solution? debating on this, Rough Country or the IAG mount right now. This is twice the price, but if I can free-spool, I’d splurge on it. I prefer the aesthetic of this @Lobo Off-Road.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So, have we established that there’s no free-spooling a Harbor Freight Badlands with this solution? debating on this, Rough Country or the IAG mount right now. This is twice the price, but if I can free-spool, I’d splurge on it. I prefer the aesthetic of this @Lobo Off-Road.
If I recall, you can reach in from the side with this mount to flip the lever, but I don't know if that translates to the Apex winch or not. The RC certainly doesn't LOL

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I recall, you can reach in from the side with this mount to flip the lever, but I don't know if that translates to the Apex winch or not. The RC certainly doesn't LOL
Ill try to see what i can do @ lunch on mine if i remember to. Mine is remote clutch (wireless) but ill see where my hand can fit