Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Looks like the apex might need some kind of tool to actuate the lever, that's not a whole lot of room but it's a lot more than the RC has.
Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If I had some dimensions of what you need I can try to do better
Oh, I was just trying to help Mario with his question earlier. I'm not sure if it would be possible to reach far enough in to move the lever on an Apex, but it looks like a tool might do the trick.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That would kinda suck if you’re stuck in deep mud…
Who knows. Ive only wheeled my whole life in mud.

you can reach it from the top easy enough with the hood open, or at least I can. But I bought a solenoid clutch winch

this sucked, on 38.7” tires. But then again im not winching all day. I never winched myself out, ever, in this, but i guess at least everyone can see it.
Ford Bronco Lobo Off-Road HNT Hidden Winch Skid For  Bronco IMG_6067

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Who knows. Ive only wheeled my whole life in mud.

you can reach it from the top easy enough with the hood open, or at least I can. But I bought a solenoid clutch winch

this sucked, on 38.7” tires. But then again im not winching all day. I never winched myself out, ever, in this, but i guess at least everyone can see it.
Ford Bronco Lobo Off-Road HNT Hidden Winch Skid For  Bronco IMG_6067
This is the truck all Jeeps with beds wish they could be đź‘Ś

OP
OP
Lobo Off-Road

Lobo Off-Road

Wildtrak
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lobooffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
UPDATE: Been really looking into making the winch skid work without disconeccting the heat exchanger from the transmission lines. However, there is not a comfortable package that does not create a concern for a line collapsing when up to temp. It looks like the package will need cutting of the water and oil lines.
Have any of you serviced your transmission yet?

Reactions: Tex

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

UPDATE: Been really looking into making the winch skid work without disconeccting the heat exchanger from the transmission lines. However, there is not a comfortable package that does not create a concern for a line collapsing when up to temp. It looks like the package will need cutting of the water and oil lines.
Have any of you serviced your transmission yet?
Where are you looking at mounting it, somewhere other than where the RC kit relocates it to? I felt pretty confident with the hoses by the time it was done, there weren't any unhealthy kinks or bends, and they've shown no signs of collapsing 10K miles later. It would've been great to relocate the cooler a little higher up to fit the solenoid box of the Apex, and there was actually some wiggle room with the length of hoses to do that, but I was kind of locked into using their cooler mount bracket.

It may also be possible to relocate it to the intercooler area if you had the high mount intercooler, potentially without cutting any hoses, as it really frees up a lot of space down there. Maybe not the most economical route, but it could be an option for some?

OP
OP
Lobo Off-Road

Lobo Off-Road

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lobooffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Where are you looking at mounting it, somewhere other than where the RC kit relocates it to? I felt pretty confident with the hoses by the time it was done, there weren't any unhealthy kinks or bends, and they've shown no signs of collapsing 10K miles later. It would've been great to relocate the cooler a little higher up to fit the solenoid box of the Apex, and there was actually some wiggle room with the length of hoses to do that, but I was kind of locked into using their cooler mount bracket.

It may also be possible to relocate it to the intercooler area if you had the high mount intercooler, potentially without cutting any hoses, as it really frees up a lot of space down there. Maybe not the most economical route, but it could be an option for some?
To the core support crossmember above the winch. The RC mount appears to go straight out from the lower A arm cross member, allowing more room between the winch and the core support cross member. With my winch skid at a angle, the winch is higher, ( and the zeon isnt the smallest winch) that will not allow the heat exchanger to stand up. Standing it straight up, the rotation of the heat exchanger is only rotating about 90DEG, anything past 90DEG is starting to kink one of the lines. I a couple more ideas im going to explore today.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

To the core support crossmember above the winch. The RC mount appears to go straight out from the lower A arm cross member, allowing more room between the winch and the core support cross member. With my winch skid at a angle, the winch is higher, ( and the zeon isnt the smallest winch) that will not allow the heat exchanger to stand up. Standing it straight up, the rotation of the heat exchanger is only rotating about 90DEG, anything past 90DEG is starting to kink one of the lines. I a couple more ideas im going to explore today.
Cool, that should free up some room for sure. The RC is mounted from the lower crossmember, and the bottom of the mount sits a little bit lower than the bottom of the IC. I just went out and measured, there's about 5" of room between that support crossmember and the cooler. If I remember, RC had me flip the cooler around 180deg in order to route the lines better, along with all the trimming and whatnot, to make everything fit in that position. The primary clearance issue going higher with their method is going to be the hoses that are on the top interfering with the support crossmember rather than their length or getting kinks. If you route the hoses behind the crossmember, they start getting real close to the crankshaft pulley. I gave it a try while I was doing the install to see if I could make room for the solenoid box but I ended up just relocating the box and leaving the cooler there. Wish I could've remote mounted the cooler somewhere on the frame by the transmission instead.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lobo Off-Road

Lobo Off-Road

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lobooffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Cool, that should free up some room for sure. The RC is mounted from the lower crossmember, and the bottom of the mount sits a little bit lower than the bottom of the IC. I just went out and measured, there's about 5" of room between that support crossmember and the cooler. If I remember, RC had me flip the cooler around 180deg in order to route the lines better, along with all the trimming and whatnot, to make everything fit in that position. The primary clearance issue going higher with their method is going to be the hoses that are on the top interfering with the support crossmember rather than their length or getting kinks. If you route the hoses behind the crossmember, they start getting real close to the crankshaft pulley. I gave it a try while I was doing the install to see if I could make room for the solenoid box but I ended up just relocating the box and leaving the cooler there. Wish I could've remote mounted the cooler somewhere on the frame by the transmission instead.
Looking further into this, I am pursueing a avenue of replacing the heat exchanger overall, with a aftermarket one. By doing so, instead of attempting to modify existing heat exchanger and cutting crimp collars to reuse fittings etc, just a simpler replacement. It will drive the cost up in parts, but overall quality of the end product will provide a performance increase, a simpler install, and a better package.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Looking further into this, I am pursueing a avenue of replacing the heat exchanger overall, with a aftermarket one. By doing so, instead of attempting to modify existing heat exchanger and cutting crimp collars to reuse fittings etc, just a simpler replacement. It will drive the cost up in parts, but overall quality of the end product will provide a performance increase, a simpler install, and a better package.
Yeah I'd be down for that, would you still be shooting for that mid crossmember for its location?

I could see where some people might not want to go aftermarket to keep their warranties and whatnot, but if it has additional cooling capacity I don't see how Ford would be able to argue that it caused a transmission failure of any sort.

Hatman

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Still willing to be your test model if you need a Badlands with the disconnect!

OP
OP
Lobo Off-Road

Lobo Off-Road

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lobooffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah I'd be down for that, would you still be shooting for that mid crossmember for its location?

I could see where some people might not want to go aftermarket to keep their warranties and whatnot, but if it has additional cooling capacity I don't see how Ford would be able to argue that it caused a transmission failure of any sort.
Yes, in all the brainstorming packages I have come up with, I seem to keep gravitating to the solution of mounting the heat exchanger above the winch mounted to the cross member.

I think there will many options available, now that it appears that the transmission is serviceable without going to the dealer.

Side note/ off topic, I am concerned about the warranty of the transmission regardless, it seems like they are trying to get out of any warranty they can. A friend had the spot-welds from the axle tube to the pumpkin break and they would not cover it. Fallowing that I heard its a common problem. With that being said, just moving the heat exchanger, may all of a sudden void the warranty, let alone modifying the lines and mounts.

OP
OP
Lobo Off-Road

Lobo Off-Road

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lobooffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Still willing to be your test model if you need a Badlands with the disconnect!

Thank you for the offer, as the packaging is becoming more set, the packaging will only be changing from the front of the lower crossmember forward and should not interferer with the sway bar or disconnect .
Sponsored