Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just so everyone's on the same page here, all of the trims have the same rear axle which is a M220 Dana 44 regardless of gear ratio and differential options.

Yes and no. They are all M220, but there are small differences in the housing of the elocker version. Different carriers. It's not as simple as getting an open diff M220 and throwing in an elocker. I've read on a Ranger site the spline count may also be different between the two, but don't know if that's accurate.

Bottom line, if you want the elocker, order it that way, because you won't add it after the fact.
Sponsored

Last edited:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ok. But don’t underestimate the price reduction for buying many of the same axles at one price. Can reduce your unit cost to the price of the least expensive one and you only have one part number and one set of service parts to deal with. I do this everyday at work.
It's not always about the lowest unit cost across the board, you have to have differentiation across the trims, the cost and profit will take care of itself, otherwise why not just have one model, the "Bronco", no trims, no BD, BL, WT, etc. It's not like software where you can flip a bit and add or subtract a feature (attachments added for your review).

Ford Bronco Locking Diff Question 1603885574913

Ford Bronco Locking Diff Question 1603885527597

Attachments

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes and no. They are all M220, but there are small differences in the housing of the elocker version. Different carriers. It's not as simple as getting an open diff M220 and throwing in an elocker. I've read on a Ranger site the spline count may also be different between the two, but don't know if that's accurate.

Bottom line, if you want the elocker, order it that way, because you won't add it after the fact.
There's already notable differences in the Ranger rear axles between the open and locker versions, and I fully expect that Bronco follows suit because it will have carryover parts. A while back, I downloaded and read the axle service sections of the Ranger shop manual. It quite clearly details that that the open diff has a welded-on ring gear, and that the locker has a bolted on ring.

So, in that case, to replace the open with an LSD or locker, you'd also need to replace the ring & pinion set at the same time. But if you have a factory locker, then you can swap a different locker or LSD in at will. Not that many folks would swap the locker for an LSD, but at least an OEM ring & pinion will be available that bolts on (assuming the ratios match).

Also, similarly, the M190 front has a welded ring. So diff swaps or regearing would also require the same system-level approach. FWIW, the Colorado ZR2 has a locking diff in the M190, so maybe someone will get creative in swapping. Or maybe the aftermarket will provide an alternative...

Also, regarding economies of scale, that can actually go both ways. Yes, buying 50,000 of one unit might be cheaper than buying 5000 of one and 45,000 of another, assuming the higher volume part is cheaper. But if the product mix is expected to be more evenly split and the differences in volumes don't justify moving you into a more efficient production process, then the gains are minimal.

Also, if you are in a situation where you have to buy multiple sets of tools to produce your needed volume, then making multiple versions doesn't cost you more, because you need the extra tools anyway. In automotive production, this happens all the time. And don't forget that Dana is building M220s for multiple customers (Ford, Jeep & GM all use it), so there are multiple sets of requirements anyway. So they might as well build different versions.

Last edited:

ric42pars

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Explorer, 2008 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Excellent conversation. Thanks to all for your input. Looks like an open diff on the base by all accounts. Maybe I'll swap it out at a later date.
Sponsored