Sponsored

Loctite or Anti-seize for Sasquatch rings?

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am having my beauty rings powder coated.
I am a noob with that kind of things please educate me:
- there is yellow loctite on the screws, should I remove it and if yes what kind of product?
- I got both blue loctite and anti seize at Home Depot. Which should I use? I have seen in a different thread that we should use anti seize. That means no loctite at all? Is there not a risk for them to come loose with vibrations?

Thanks
Sponsored

Nolabel

Wildtrak
First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am having my beauty rings powder coated.
I am a noob with that kind of things please educate me:
- there is yellow loctite on the screws, should I remove it and if yes what kind of product?
- I got both blue loctite and anti seize at Home Depot. Which should I use? I have seen in a different thread that we should use anti seize. That means no loctite at all? Is there not a risk for them to come loose with vibrations?

Thanks
Depending on the wheel and hardware would determine using some anti seize or nothing at all. I'd personally use just the smallest amount of anti seize myself on aluminum.

Raptor.Tremor.Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak, 2014 Raptor, 2020 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've been using antiseize for my Raptor for many years. I don't remember the wheels having thread locker from the factory back then. I don't see a reason for it. Antiseize has definitely been a lifesaver

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Removed my bad advice.

Last edited:

Blaven

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I didn't use anything when I reinstalled. And I don't think you'd want red lock loctite on there unless you never want to take them off again.

Sponsored

gtx_bronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

stainless steel bolts into aluminum = always use anti seize

if you dont you risk galling and having to extract them. Put them in slow - dont use power tools or the speed creates heat and can cause galling also.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anti-seize only, please do not use red Loctite, the bolt heads are made of cheezium.

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I recently had my rings powder coated as well. I started to remove the yellow loctite and grew tiresome of it so stopped. When reinstalling I found that the ones that had a lot of leftover yellow loctite were difficult to install. I would say pick away the ones with a hefty amount and then use a drop of red loctite when installing. If it feels too hard to torque down, pick away some more of the yellow loctite and try again.

With that said, removing all the yellow and using a drop of red is the correct way to go.
Is this one of those "let's see him do it, and see how it goes" posts? LOL.

gtx_bronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently had my rings powder coated as well. I started to remove the yellow loctite and grew tiresome of it so stopped. When reinstalling I found that the ones that had a lot of leftover yellow loctite were difficult to install. I would say pick away the ones with a hefty amount and then use a drop of red loctite when installing. If it feels too hard to torque down, pick away some more of the yellow loctite and try again.

With that said, removing all the yellow and using a drop of red is the correct way to go.
Is this one of those "let's see him do it, and see how it goes" posts? LOL.
seriously - OP read this Bolt Depot - About Thread Galling

cigartexan

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 F100 SS - 2012 F-350 SD - 2021 4D Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

NO!!!!! Red loctite requires heat to break loose. Blue is what should be used if anything. The yellow is factory applied loctite and would have been fine. Loctite Red or Pink will bind too strong to the aluminum and could damage if not properly heated. Be careful taking those off!

Sponsored

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Fair. Bad advice. Learned something new today.

OP
OP
broncosor

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So from the article anti seize will prevent galling which is good but what about the screws coming undone with the vibrations? It seems that adding a lubricant to a screw will make it unscrew easier
Canā€™t we apply both blue loctite and anti seize?

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I would not worry about them loosing, they really have no stress on them...use anti-seize! And torque correctly.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
So from the article anti seize will prevent galling which is good but what about the screws coming undone with the vibrations? It seems that adding a lubricant to a screw will make it unscrew easier
Canā€™t we apply both blue loctite and anti seize?
Tension keeps the screws in. Use proper torque

"Canā€™t we apply both blue loctite and anti seize?"
You CAN, but don't do that. And probably never admit to anyone you asked that question

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Abs
I didn't use anything when I reinstalled. And I don't think you'd want red lock loctite on there unless you never want to take them off again.
[/QUOT

Tension keeps the screws in. Use proper torque

"Canā€™t we apply both blue loctite and anti seize?"
You CAN, but don't do that. And probably never admit to anyone you asked that question
Absolutely...Do not use Red loctite, you will strip the bolts trying to remove... Blue should be the strongest I would suggest.
Sponsored