Sponsored

Low oil pressure light, then noise, then turned off.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I would take pictures of everything - where the oil started on the road, where it pulled over, the underside, etc. I would also contact @Ford Motor Company because this one sounds like a situation where the servicing dealer could be hesitant.
Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This is why I change my own oil and have done so since I was 16. An oil change is the the most routine and easiest maintenance you can do BUT also the easiest to screw up and if you do screw it up, it can be catastrophic.

Shops tend to have the least experience mechanics on oil change duty.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is why I change my own oil and have done so since I was 16. An oil change is the the most routine and easiest maintenance you can do BUT also the easiest to screw up and if you do screw it up, it can be catastrophic.

Shops tend to have the least experience mechanics on oil change duty.
Same here. It also gives me an opportunity to look at everything else under there.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The fact that the oil in the road is on the passenger side makes me thing a problem with the oil drain. it points almost directly at the passenger tire. I was wondering how it would have gotten to the top of the engine but its possible the tire slung it upward when it was dumping out. If that plug comes out it drains the entire sump in about 5 seconds so you wouldn't have much time to have stopped the engine. Hopefully you contacted the original dealer who did the oil change before the local dealer started poking around.

OP
OP
NDBronco

NDBronco

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So first off, roadside assistance was not so good. I called them and they told me to have it towed to the nearest dealer. The app told me the nearest one was 26 miles away, which I knew because that is where I bought the vehicle from. So when I told them the location they said there is no ford dealer there. I asked them how that could be as I purchased the vehicle there and they didn't know. They also stated that since it wasn't a listed Ford dealer, I would need to pay for the tow out of pocket and I could try to get it reinbursed later. This is crazy since it is Ford roadside assistance and they don't know where the dealers are. So basically I learned that roadside assistance doesn't have a full list of dealers. This one has been around for a very long time. Then they were unable to find a tow. I understand that if places are not open or don't answer their phone they can't do much about it. So they asked to delay the tow til Monday morning. I was not happy about that but what can I do.

Monday morning comes and they woke me up by calling me at 6am telling me they still cannot get a tow company to come get the vehicle. I said wait til 8am central time to start calling places. They said OK and I got off the phone. Then the same person called me back at 630 am and said they still cannot get a tow company. I am getting really annoyed at this point. Then at 7am a different representative called and told me they couldn't get a tow company. I told them the same thing about time and they said they would make a note to call after 8am. I then thought I was OK. Well around 830 I was wondering if they were able to get any tow companies and I decided to look at the app. I had a pending tow listed the whole weekend while I waited. At 830 it was gone. They also never called. At this point I just started calling myself. I found one company that could tow it but it would have to wait another day. So I tried calling the dealer. They were more than helpful and said I shouldn't have to pay to have it towed to them so they will bring a flatbed and pick it up themselves. This was the best news I had heard and they came a few hours later.

So on to the vehicle. The mechanic came to my parents yard with the trailer and he put a full fill of oil in the vehicle. We watched and no oil dripped out. So at this point we had to assume it was not the oil plug. Then he started it briefly and it sounded fine and like new. A few seconds later, oil started pouring out all around the skid plate under the engine. At this point it needed a better look so he put it on the trailer and headed back to the dealer.

Later last night I received a call from the mechanic stating that he had taken an initial look at the vehicle on the lift with the skid plate removed and verified the oil drain plug was in fact all the way in and locked. Then he filled it with oil again and looked around the engine. No oil coming out. Then briefly started it and shut if off right away and oil was pumping out of the front of the motor near the crank pulley. He then saw what I had missed, the drive belt was half gone. The evidence leads to something close to the belt rubbed and broke off half the belt and it ruined the seal behind the crank pulley. I remember when I got mine I had this mechanic check everything on the checklist from this forum of known problems and it checked out ok. One of those issues is the 2.7 has coolant hoses that sit too close to the belt and can rub through and cause a complete coolant loss. This seems like a similar issue but ruined the belt instead.

I didn't mean this to be so long but I thought if this can help others to check out their engine bay to avoid a problem like mine, then it is worth it. I will hear more later as they dig into the problem more in the coming days. So far, this does not seem like an oil change related issue and more so a design issue with something coming into contact with the belt. I know it is a very tight fit under the hood of these vehicles with the 2.7.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well at least it was easy to find! That's some pretty nice service on the dealers part. Ford Roadside? Guess thats kinda par for the course. Hopefully most of the noise you heard was the belt slapping stuff underwood, and not bearings getting hammered from lack of oil!

Dingbat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars, bikes, canoes, sailboats…
Your Bronco Model
Base
So first off, roadside assistance was not so good. I called them and they told me to have it towed to the nearest dealer. The app told me the nearest one was 26 miles away, which I knew because that is where I bought the vehicle from. So when I told them the location they said there is no ford dealer there. I asked them how that could be as I purchased the vehicle there and they didn't know. They also stated that since it wasn't a listed Ford dealer, I would need to pay for the tow out of pocket and I could try to get it reinbursed later. This is crazy since it is Ford roadside assistance and they don't know where the dealers are. So basically I learned that roadside assistance doesn't have a full list of dealers. This one has been around for a very long time. Then they were unable to find a tow. I understand that if places are not open or don't answer their phone they can't do much about it. So they asked to delay the tow til Monday morning. I was not happy about that but what can I do.

Monday morning comes and they woke me up by calling me at 6am telling me they still cannot get a tow company to come get the vehicle. I said wait til 8am central time to start calling places. They said OK and I got off the phone. Then the same person called me back at 630 am and said they still cannot get a tow company. I am getting really annoyed at this point. Then at 7am a different representative called and told me they couldn't get a tow company. I told them the same thing about time and they said they would make a note to call after 8am. I then thought I was OK. Well around 830 I was wondering if they were able to get any tow companies and I decided to look at the app. I had a pending tow listed the whole weekend while I waited. At 830 it was gone. They also never called. At this point I just started calling myself. I found one company that could tow it but it would have to wait another day. So I tried calling the dealer. They were more than helpful and said I shouldn't have to pay to have it towed to them so they will bring a flatbed and pick it up themselves. This was the best news I had heard and they came a few hours later.

So on to the vehicle. The mechanic came to my parents yard with the trailer and he put a full fill of oil in the vehicle. We watched and no oil dripped out. So at this point we had to assume it was not the oil plug. Then he started it briefly and it sounded fine and like new. A few seconds later, oil started pouring out all around the skid plate under the engine. At this point it needed a better look so he put it on the trailer and headed back to the dealer.

Later last night I received a call from the mechanic stating that he had taken an initial look at the vehicle on the lift with the skid plate removed and verified the oil drain plug was in fact all the way in and locked. Then he filled it with oil again and looked around the engine. No oil coming out. Then briefly started it and shut if off right away and oil was pumping out of the front of the motor near the crank pulley. He then saw what I had missed, the drive belt was half gone. The evidence leads to something close to the belt rubbed and broke off half the belt and it ruined the seal behind the crank pulley. I remember when I got mine I had this mechanic check everything on the checklist from this forum of known problems and it checked out ok. One of those issues is the 2.7 has coolant hoses that sit too close to the belt and can rub through and cause a complete coolant loss. This seems like a similar issue but ruined the belt instead.

I didn't mean this to be so long but I thought if this can help others to check out their engine bay to avoid a problem like mine, then it is worth it. I will hear more later as they dig into the problem more in the coming days. So far, this does not seem like an oil change related issue and more so a design issue with something coming into contact with the belt. I know it is a very tight fit under the hood of these vehicles with the 2.7.
Bummed for you but at least it sounds like you’ve got a shot at it being a clear cut warranty situation.

OP
OP
NDBronco

NDBronco

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well at least it was easy to find! That's some pretty nice service on the dealers part. Ford Roadside? Guess thats kinda par for the course. Hopefully most of the noise you heard was the belt slapping stuff underwood, and not bearings getting hammered from lack of oil!
Yes I am nervous about engine damage but I trust the mechanic to tell me if there was damage and if I need to worry about warranty down the road. One thing about small town dealers that Ford might not realize, is that they know their customers and care. I don't get this type of service from a large dealership.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good news that it isn't the drain plug. That should help get it resolved quicker. The issue may be that they try to just replace the seal. You need to press for a new engine.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn
I used to run a tow company
We refused to contractually tow they wanted to pay us $50 at night to tow things we would charge FMV at 150-200

so the point is if you need a tow, just call and find a decent place and pay. If not you literally can wait DAYS

Im curious what is causing that much of a leak!

Sponsored

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would suggest cutting the oil filter apart and inspect visually and with a magnet. Have an oil analysis done on the oil in it now and do the same again at 1500 miles after repairs are made. That would be if they do not replace the engine.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good news that it isn't the drain plug. That should help get it resolved quicker. The issue may be that they try to just replace the seal. You need to press for a new engine.
You cant
Warranty and insurance only pay for current damages not possible future
It may not be ruined but it would shorten the life

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
You might be surprised that the engine could be ok. Had a lot of coolant in the oil of a ford 3.5na due to water pump failure and three oil flushes after the repair was complete, 5000 miles and the engine is doing great. 🤞

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You might be surprised that the engine could be ok. Had a lot of coolant in the oil of a ford 3.5na due to water pump failure and three oil flushes after the repair was complete, 5000 miles and the engine is doing great. 🤞

Did you forget a 0 there? 5,000 miles really isn't a good baseline.. hell, that's barely even another oil change.

Now if it were 50,000 now we have something.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Whoever did the oil change owes you a new engine. Good luck getting them to admit the wrong doing and take care of it. You have a battle on your hands.
Only if the plug is missing or oil canister cap leaking. Yes, it could very well be dealer fault, but then again don't accuse them of fault until facts prove it
Sponsored