First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L AT Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I know that there are a few similar posts already, but I think that there still seems to be some uncertainty out there.

The first time I heard a rock hit the side of truck after some light off-roading, I knew that I had to get something to protect my baby. I nearly cried. I had read some really positive things about Mabett mud flaps on these forums. The Amazon ad says that they fit with the factory rock rails. Based on my experience, I think that is not accurate.

It is completely possible that I did something wrong, but I spent the last two hours trying to get these things on. The ends of the rock rails are angled and this prevents the inner attachment point of mud flap from resting flush with the wheel well. I tried to take a picture of the angled part, but I’m not sure how clear it is from the picture. I suppose that a small notch could be made to allow the portion of the rock rail that is hitting to come through, but I feel like for the price of these, I don’t want to go hacking them up.

Another issue that I ran into is that according to the instructions, the original plastic screw thing should be put back into this inner attachment point. This screw would likely be ripped out by heavy snow/mud or if the mud flap made contact with just about anything while driving. I thought that maybe I misunderstood the instructions. The hole used for this attachment point does not appear to be threaded. I tried putting the screws that came with the flaps into the hole and they just pulled right out.

Even if they did fit around the rock rail, I would probably be hesitant to install these until that attachment point was a bit more secure.

421508FB-DAD7-4204-8BEE-90C6253287F2.jpeg
Sponsored

BroncoJones

Badlands
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Yukon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP

BumblebeeBD

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L AT Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looking at this member's post they do appear to work with the factory rock rail on a Badland SAS:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/mabett-mud-flaps-video-added.50620/

If you haven't watched it they do have an installation video, you could skip through it and see if there is something you may have missed. Might give more detail than text instructions.
I watched the video several times and read the instructions. I could not get these things to sit flat. If the rock rails were straight, then they would fit perfectly. I am not sure if there are different rock rails out there and nobody noticed yet, but I couldn’t figure it out.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I know that there are a few similar posts already, but I think that there still seems to be some uncertainty out there.

The first time I heard a rock hit the side of truck after some light off-roading, I knew that I had to get something to protect my baby. I nearly cried. I had read some really positive things about Mabett mud flaps on these forums. The Amazon ad says that they fit with the factory rock rails. Based on my experience, I think that is not accurate.

It is completely possible that I did something wrong, but I spent the last two hours trying to get these things on. The ends of the rock rails are angled and this prevents the inner attachment point of mud flap from resting flush with the wheel well. I tried to take a picture of the angled part, but I’m not sure how clear it is from the picture. I suppose that a small notch could be made to allow the portion of the rock rail that is hitting to come through, but I feel like for the price of these, I don’t want to go hacking them up.

Another issue that I ran into is that according to the instructions, the original plastic screw thing should be put back into this inner attachment point. This screw would likely be ripped out by heavy snow/mud or if the mud flap made contact with just about anything while driving. I thought that maybe I misunderstood the instructions. The hole used for this attachment point does not appear to be threaded. I tried putting the screws that came with the flaps into the hole and they just pulled right out.

Even if they did fit around the rock rail, I would probably be hesitant to install these until that attachment point was a bit more secure.

Ford Bronco Mabett Mud Flaps 421508FB-DAD7-4204-8BEE-90C6253287F2
You could cut the rock rails too.

Sponsored

406g

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine fit with the factory rock rails on my badlands, but I do agree I am slightly worried about the plastic screw surviving winter/off road.

542775A7-9832-477E-9929-AE3DF91CB3A3.jpeg

MudMonsterRacin

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1, 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a set that i plan on installing on my black diamond when it gets here. Im not sure how i like how far they stick out on the non sas broncos past the flare, so I may end up using the mabett brackets in the front with a flat ford mudflap. I have some that came off my 2011 f150 im gonna mess around with when it comes. Just an idea if u cant get them to work.

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Ford Bronco Mabett Mud Flaps 599FA3A0-9D70-40BB-8CD0-25F04EFC837F
Hey, I just tried to install the front mud flaps and it's not working! The third point of attachment, where you use the original plastic fastener near the crash bar, did yours work correctly? Unfortunately, when I mount the flap to the steel mounting bracket, the third hole near the crash bar doesn't line up, so I have to flex it over and back to press against the felt wheel liner and the plastic fastener wouldn't grip. So I mounted the plastic fastener neat the crash bar first, then after flexing the flap and the steel mounting bracket, I got the holes to line up! After I tightened the two steel mounting bracket screws, the plastic fastener popped out! Am I doing something wrong? Even if I get the plastic fastener to catch, I can't believe that that will last through the winter!

OP
OP

BumblebeeBD

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L AT Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey, I just tried to install the front mud flaps and it's not working! The third point of attachment, where you use the original plastic fastener near the crash bar, did yours work correctly? Unfortunately, when I mount the flap to the steel mounting bracket, the third hole near the crash bar doesn't line up, so I have to flex it over and back to press against the felt wheel liner and the plastic fastener wouldn't grip. So I mounted the plastic fastener neat the crash bar first, then after flexing the flap and the steel mounting bracket, I got the holes to line up! After I tightened the two steel mounting bracket screws, the plastic fastener popped out! Am I doing something wrong? Even if I get the plastic fastener to catch, I can't believe that that will last through the winter!
This was pretty much the exact problem that I was having. The tension on that inner attachment site would not allow that plastic screw to hold. I tried coming in at different angles. I tried using the different bolts in different holes. I tried pretty much everything that I could think of. In my case it seemed like the rock rail was pushing on the flap, but now that I think about it, maybe it was more the crash bar causing the problem.

I am not big into cutting products that I just bought.

Sponsored

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This was pretty much the exact problem that I was having. The tension on that inner attachment site would not allow that plastic screw to hold. I tried coming in at different angles. I tried using the different bolts in different holes. I tried pretty much everything that I could think of. In my case it seemed like the rock rail was pushing on the flap, but now that I think about it, maybe it was more the crash bar causing the problem.

Thanks! I going to go to Autozone to see if the have any longer, beefier plastic fasteners...if not, I don't know what I'll do!

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks! I going to go to Autozone to see if the have any longer, beefier plastic fasteners...if not, I don't know what I'll do!
It worked! I went to Autozone down the street and I bought a six-piece 1/4" body nylon rivets, part number 479710! These are just a bit longer that the originals!

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

The Autozone fasteners worked!

erics667

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2.3L MT A51, 1974 Ford Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glad they worked. You neither need to be able to reuse the current expansion screw or just get new ones. And should tell you that reusing them is a pain in the ass and to just go get new ones. Or better yet, they ship new ones with the kit. Was just reading this thread to do mine, and figured out that you have to remove the screw from the expansion part. Insert the expansion part, then reuse the screw. Worked fine.

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Glad they worked. You neither need to be able to reuse the current expansion screw or just get new ones. And should tell you that reusing them is a pain in the ass and to just go get new ones. Or better yet, they ship new ones with the kit. Was just reading this thread to do mine, and figured out that you have to remove the screw from the expansion part. Insert the expansion part, then reuse the screw. Worked fine.
You bring up a great point!! Maybe I was doing it WRONG! I removed both parts; the screw and the sleeve! I the put the original sleeve through the mud flap then into the fender hole. I then inserted the original, which wasn't long enough, so the Autozone sleeve/screw worked because they were slightly longer. But if I would have left the sleeve in the hole, placed the mud flap over the sleeve and used the original screw, it probably would have worked, correct!
Sponsored