Sponsored

Mach-E driver's panicked search stops four times on 200-mile trip looking for charging station

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
To be fair, Ford's 270-mile estimate on my AWD extended range Mach E is pretty accurate, and sometimes even a bit conservative. I've heard Tesla's advertised estimates are often "best case scenario" but I have no direct experience with that and can't comment on it.

I've put about 5,000 miles on my MME, most of it highway driving 75-80mph, and I'm getting 3.1+ miles per KWH. My MME has a 88kwh battery, and 3.1*88= 272.8, so Ford's estimate is pretty solid. If I take backroads and keep it 55-60 mph, I could easily get 300+ range.
Also, ICE EPA ratings are only accurate to the particular testing process they put the vehicle through, so efficiency/range estimates being "optimistic" or very specific to a testing cycle is not unique to EVs. EV ranges are also tested and certified by EPA; the manufacturer can't just advertise whatever they want.

EV typically has higher efficiency in city than highway
Normal ICE typically has higher efficiency in highway than city
Sasquatch has the same low efficiency in city & highway

;)
Sponsored

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ehh, the language of Tesla's patent use terms is pretty sketchy and opens up anyone who does to Tesla using any of their IP as well. So it doesn't surprise me that major auto manufacturers weren't willing to open up their entire IP to Tesla for Tesla patents vs buying technology off other firms to get their battery/EV tech up to speed.
That's not exactly right. It says you can't sue Tesla if you use their patents. There was nothing stopping manufacturers from adopting their charging standard and nothing else. We could all be charging on Tesla charging stations if other companies had freely licensed the charging portion of the patents. All this would have cost Ford is losing future opportunities to sue Tesla over charging technology.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Tesla owns 80% of the EV market so their charging stations are everywhere as they have to be

Both cars have nav systems that will plan a route for you to take charging into account.

Though the Tesla Supercharger network is everywhere it seems.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I am sure when cars 1st appeared, most people thought they were a gimmick and kept their horse.

Like the internal combustion engine, EVs have to start somewhere.

electric cars are a gimmick

dont buy into it until the batteries change

you were warned

boxwood

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I haven't done more than a cursory review of modern electric cars. But the problems of 20 years ago are still there. Low range, nowhere to charge, expense (of buying AND charging). It's basically going to cost an owner a lot more than a petrol engine.

Oh, and doesn't it take 30-90 min to charge one back to at least 60%? That would be fun on a trip, stopping every 250 miles and sitting there for an hour and a half. And scurrying around like rats trying to find an open charging station? Short trips? You go to the store around here, it's 20 miles, or a 40 mile round trip. What if you chance your charge level, get to the store, and don't think you can make it home? Again, scurry around looking for a charging station, drum your fingers for 18 minutes, just so you can drive back home. I just don't see the attraction.

Read this https://insideevs.com/news/503880/mustang-mach-e-dc-fast-charge-test/
Low range?
Looks like average is 250 miles. Given the average miles driven is around 13-14k miles thats about 27 miles a week day ...I think its got it covered even your 40mile round trip.

As far as you not seeing the attraction, you need to look at it from others situations not just your own. I suspect your 40mile trip to the store is probably not the norm and more of an outlier. Playing the numbers/ law of averages game an EV works for most people average driving situations as far as range

Now the long hauls trips is another story for a pure EV, and thats where hybrid comes in, best of both worlds.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

+♾️

On a smaller scale, phones mostly NOW have either USB C or lighting chargers.
All phones are usb-c now, kudos to the EU for forcing that one on phone manufacturers. Apple is still holding out on lightning just to be an ass, when even the iPad's are usb-c. I think they just want to sell more dongles. maybe that's tesla's move too...

appropriately funny video:

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Remember what happened 2 months back when the east coast pipe line was hacked? It was mass panic and it was only down for 1 week.

Again, EVs needs to start somewhere. The internal combustion engine has been improving for over 130+ years.

Maybe EVs need 100 years to improve. If you don't allow it to elvolved then civilization will end.

sure. But unless the technology to increase range DRAMATICALLY changes , and soon , you will have mass adoption of a very inferior technology

EV's are causing blackouts in the UK https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/la...ut-risk-from-more-evs-without-charging-change

boxwood

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

sure. But unless the technology to increase range DRAMATICALLY changes , and soon , you will have mass adoption of a very inferior technology
Range isn't really a problem, current range suits the majority of daily drivers.

If you only drive 25 miles a day why do you need a car with 400 miles of range?

MorgansRun

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 330e
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The second 1 is service, service, service, service. That is the most important thing for us is wiring a closed loop between the vehicle, the condition of the vehicle, the service capacity of the dealers and the customer is going to be the most important valet we're going to have to play together with the dealers.
So it sounds like they are going to try to gouge us on service costs. Great plan. Way to look to the future, Ford.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.