First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
All these complaints about auto complexity...

Just drive a manual - once you get used to it, you never have to think about it. And your brain adjusts the “settings“ to how you want it.
i would be all for a manual IF there was a hand brake. Not a stupid e brake. But I HATE clutch slipping or trying to press 2 pedals with 1 foot on a hill when a dick head is on my ass.
Sponsored

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
i would be all for a manual IF there was a hand brake. Not a stupid e brake. But I HATE clutch slipping or trying to press 2 pedals with 1 foot on a hill when a dick head is on my ass.
Most modern manuals have a hill holding feature where the brakes are automatically applied while you have the clutch in with no brake pedal applied. I would think this would be standard since there is no manual hand brake.

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Most modern manuals have a hill holding feature where the brakes are automatically applied while you have the clutch in with no brake pedal applied. I would think this would be standard since there is no manual hand brake.
This is important if you drive a manual - especially when driving in a City like Pittsburgh in which all the streets are on hills. And every manufacturer/model seems to have different degrees of hillside assist - my 6-speed Jeep Liberty Sport manual is perfect. Some others were terrible - my GF had to trade her Suzuki SX4 in right after buying it because it drifted on hillsides so badly. So I will need to find a dealer who has the Bronco with a manual so I can test drive it before ordering one. :cautious:

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is important if you drive a manual - especially when driving in a City like Pittsburgh in which all the streets are on hills. And every manufacturer/model seems to have different degrees of hillside assist - my 6-speed Jeep Liberty Sport manual is perfect. Some others were terrible - my GF had to trade her Suzuki SX4 in right after buying it because it drifted on hillsides so badly. So I will need to find a dealer who has the Bronco with a manual so I can test drive it before ordering one. :cautious:
I would definitely have to try it before I buy it.
I know ford had it optional on the Focus. I hope they are standard here. Especially when things like “brake hold” are standard in most vehicles auto and manual today.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
My Jeep has the hill assist makes it a breeze. I never use my handbrake.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hill assist? ..... better stick to the autos if you need one. Barely takes a half a second to get the gas/clutch mix and go. Just pretend you are being scored on your driving abilities when you go are at a light or stopped but ready to go. No need to race just be the first to get on the throttle for efficiency. I learned manual on old worn linkages clutch and shifter. Slop and play everywhere but you compensate. Just gotta get it down natural so you do it like standing on then walking up a hill. Unless you use a cane or walking stick for that, then sure you can have hill assist with no shame. But to be in control of a automobile means to think of the tires no different than the tread on your shoes.

Just make sure the transmission is stroger than it needs to be and i will be happy. I can get along with just about any amount of gears over 2, granny is nice. A couple of close ones at highway speed is nice. But hill assist, fully synchronized, handbrake whatever. Just make sure the gears dont chew on the case or each other and that doesnt crack open and i will love shifting my bronco.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I learned to drive in a PT Cruiser with 1/2" of clutch travel and a touchy throttle (they had cable throttles so it actually revved somewhat quickly ... I know, shocker) which means you're rolling back and rev'ing, like an idiot, or you're lurching and stalling, like a moron, unless you have everything JUST right, so the hill assist in my VW, while neat, is certainly not something I need. But it's also easy to adjust to and hasn't made me forget how to drive a manual vehicle without that feature.

I think people overthink these things sometimes. Best to just learn how to drive whatever it is you're driving the way it likes to be driven and just drive it.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

? WOW, maybe I should bite my tongue, but …...…………….....

Really, hill assist, just like park assist, once again anything to let people not "learn" how to do something just make it easier so we can all stay on our phones and not pay attention to what goes on around us. Sorry I know but I'm old school, grew up without cell phones, remote controls, etc. Why is everyone so "wiggy" about having to learn how to do something. we seem to be so dependent on the easy way out. Like I said this new Bronco is not going to be a lot of fun, sure you can take the doors off and the roof off, but damn, we will pull up to an obstacle and just push a button to traverse the obstacle. not have to figure out how to proceed over it, just be lazy and let someone or something do it for you. ? I have driven a stick since I have been driving and NEVER had a problem starting on a hill. Yeah at first it took some practice, but I still learned how to do it. Back in my younger days other guys with Mustangs would say why is yours so fast. Because I know how to drive it. Then they would tell me I'm a liar, they would say prove it take my car and get a better time. guess what, 9 times out of 10 I could easily knock off at least a few tenths depending on how good they were at "kicking and stickin"

I got a scenario for you …...…......….. go drag racing in a stick car. stage the car on the starting line. You can't move until the light turns green. Now you need to not move, rev the engine to desired launch RPM, and then let the clutch out and not stall, or slip the clutch but yet make the best time you can because the clock starts when the light turns green. Don't get me wrong it's not easy but with practice it is possible. I know I have done it. Things takes practice but we all don't have time to practice because we are all to busy with what's on the damn phone. Just kills me how lazy everyone has become.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hill assist saves your clutch. That alone makes it worth it.

Yup, and auto stop and start saves gas. ( didn't want to say a$$. :LOL: )

Not trying to fight 'wit cha' NickP. I see it in a different way. If I burn the clutch up then I turn wrenches and fix the clutch. Not all people have what it takes to do this so I get it. plus if I burn the clutch up I would try even harder to do a better job of DRIVING my car so as to NOT burn my clutch up. I guess it's all the "gadgetry" with me some is good, some is not worth it, and a lot of it is just put there to justify a huge price tag under the guise of convenience. (y)

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yup, and auto stop and start saves gas. ( didn't want to say a$$. :LOL: )

Not trying to fight 'wit cha' NickP. I see it in a different way. If I burn the clutch up then I turn wrenches and fix the clutch. Not all people have what it takes to do this so I get it. plus if I burn the clutch up I would try even harder to do a better job of DRIVING my car so as to NOT burn my clutch up. I guess it's all the "gadgetry" with me some is good, some is not worth it, and a lot of it is just put there to justify a huge price tag under the guise of convenience. (y)
I mean hill assist is just software for the ABS it doesn’t really cost anything to put in the car....

And yeah you can replace the clutch but anything that’s free and convenient that saves clutch life is fine by me

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I mean hill assist is just software for the ABS it doesn’t really cost anything to put in the car....

And yeah you can replace the clutch but anything that’s free and convenient that saves clutch life is fine by me

Yup, just like programming a "2 step" into you 'stang, which already has a rev limiter programmed into it. Really makes it nice to launch a car. Properly programmed launch control is awesome. F1 is good to watch for this some teams have it down and some teams struggle mightily !!!!

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Yup, just like programming a "2 step" into you 'stang, which already has a rev limiter programmed into it. Really makes it nice to launch a car. Properly programmed launch control is awesome. F1 is good to watch for this some teams have it down and some teams struggle mightily !!!!
(F1 doesn't have launch control)
Sponsored