dcliffo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
FYI for those who received MIC 2.0. A new area to inspect.

I had an obnoxious squeak that started coming from the rear of the vehicle after the first 100 miles, to the point of nails on a chalkboard.
Having a friend sit in the back while driving down the road we were able to identify the area of noise coming from the passenger rear corner of the hard top cab to the body.

When we looked at it, we immediately saw the hard top was biting into the body on the passenger side where as there was a 2-3mm gap on the driver side.
Unfortunately, as soon as we lifted the top we found the source of the noise. The hard top edge had slowly rubbed the paint away and was now rubbing on bare metal causing the noise. Of course the point of contact just missed the paint protection film installed by the factory.

We tried to reposition the roof, thinking it was just "off" but the 4-way locator pin on the car forward edge controls the position. No matter how much we tried yanking on the roof to gain a little bit of space it always went back to the same position.

I added some electrical tape for the time being and the noise is instantly gone.
I believe the issue is within the tolerancing/construction of the rear cab panels that are bonded together to create the rear corner of the cab. Looks like the way it was fabricated it is off by just enough to create this issue.
I don't believe it has anything to do with the vehicle body panels as all the gaps looks consistent side to side and the actual bolt attachments line up dead-nuts.

Its going into the dealer for a warranty replacement evaluation next week for both this issue and what appears to be a bulge on the top of this same rear cab. We didn't even notice this issue until we started messing with the roof to begin with.

PXL_20211119_170310108.MP.jpg

PXL_20211119_170313126.MP.jpg
Sponsored

4xFord

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for posting. I'm having the same issue.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thanks, this is probably the source of one of my many squeaks and rattles. I'll check it out.

StormtrooperS225

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
hmm need some sort of wear resistance coating.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had an obnoxious squeak that started coming from the rear of the vehicle after the first 100 miles, to the point of nails on a chalkboard.
Having a friend sit in the back while driving down the road we were able to identify the area of noise coming from the passenger rear corner of the hard top cab to the body.

When we looked at it, we immediately saw the hard top was biting into the body on the passenger side where as there was a 2-3mm gap on the driver side.
Unfortunately, as soon as we lifted the top we found the source of the noise. The hard top edge had slowly rubbed the paint away and was now rubbing on bare metal causing the noise. Of course the point of contact just missed the paint protection film installed by the factory.

We tried to reposition the roof, thinking it was just "off" but the 4-way locator pin on the car forward edge controls the position. No matter how much we tried yanking on the roof to gain a little bit of space it always went back to the same position.

I added some electrical tape for the time being and the noise is instantly gone.
I believe the issue is within the tolerancing/construction of the rear cab panels that are bonded together to create the rear corner of the cab. Looks like the way it was fabricated it is off by just enough to create this issue.
I don't believe it has anything to do with the vehicle body panels as all the gaps looks consistent side to side and the actual bolt attachments line up dead-nuts.

Its going into the dealer for a warranty replacement evaluation next week for both this issue and what appears to be a bulge on the top of this same rear cab. We didn't even notice this issue until we started messing with the roof to begin with.

Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 Paint Rub PXL_20211119_170313126.MP

Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 Paint Rub PXL_20211119_170313126.MP
Please....to help everyone else and future owner's rigs that are not built yet....NOTIFY Ford Corporate. DO not rely on your Dealer to do so. ANYONE having this or any other quality/design issue needs to notify FORD.

Sponsored

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is the only positive about getting delayed. A lot of little things will be sorted out by owners and/or Ford. Thanks for the post.

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Curious if my wrangler hard top does this as well. You would definitely think this would be normal. Even if there’s a gasket or something in between, dirt and shits gunna get in there and scratch the paint over time.

I do feel for you OP, and would agree that this is probably too soon for this to be happening. But I also feel it’s to be expected over time

Edit: my JLUR hardtop squeaks like a bitch too. Again, this stuff is expected IMO, and I’m not expecting ford to really address perfecting each and every squeak from the mic top. It’s par for the course for a vehicle like this

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Curious if my wrangler hard top does this as well. You would definitely think this would be normal. Even if there’s a gasket or something in between, dirt and shits gunna get in there and scratch the paint over time.

I do feel for you OP, and would agree that this is probably too soon for this to be happening. But I also feel it’s to be expected over time

Edit: my JLUR hardtop squeaks like a bitch too. Again, this stuff is expected IMO, and I’m not expecting ford to really address perfecting each and every squeak from the mic top. It’s par for the course for a vehicle like this
As a long time owner of open top 4x4s, this is something not unexpected. I'd probably put some protective tape/gasket in that area (or vaseline if just wanting to get rid of the squeak) and move on.

OP
OP
dcliffo

dcliffo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Update:

Rear cab has been approved to be warranty replaced.
Part is on a back order with no promise date available, not a big deal in my case as I already took care of the most annoying issue.
In terms of the noise, I knew I was not signing up for a luxury vehicle. Wind/road noise, ticks, clicks, squeaks etc. were going to be expected. I would say the noise this was creating was above and beyond what anyone would expect even in this type of vehicle.

Added a couple more pictures of the condition. You can clearly see the difference in how the roof interacts to the body panel when comparing the two sides.
This is not just a slight touch condition; this is a bite condition. The panel is interfering by more than 1mm on the problem side which is why it has gone through the paint and e-coat.
Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 Paint Rub PXL_20211202_134307261
Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 Paint Rub PXL_20211202_134300889

The bulge/warp in the roof appears to be temperature related. On the coldest day here in Michigan it was not visible. The next day at the dealer ship it was a little warmer and was beginning to show again. This is still not as bad as it was when we first noticed it a couple weeks ago when the bulge was a little higher and stretched across to the opposite side of the vehicle.
Ford Bronco MIC 2.0 Paint Rub PXL_20211202_140023350

Additional bit of info, my service rep. stated they have replaced the dealership owner's First Edition MIC top 4 times.
1 was the general recall replacement as his was freed prior to being held at dirt mountain.
2 additional times for issues with the MIC 2.0 roof for bulges and appearance problems.
The final time was for additional service training as they needed more people up to speed on the service procedure.

Sponsored

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update:

Rear cab has been approved to be warranty replaced.
Part is on a back order with no promise date available, not a big deal in my case as I already took care of the most annoying issue.
In terms of the noise, I knew I was not signing up for a luxury vehicle. Wind/road noise, ticks, clicks, squeaks etc. were going to be expected. I would say the noise this was creating was above and beyond what anyone would expect even in this type of vehicle.

Added a couple more pictures of the condition. You can clearly see the difference in how the roof interacts to the body panel when comparing the two sides.
This is not just a slight touch condition; this is a bite condition. The panel is interfering by more than 1mm on the problem side which is why it has gone through the paint and e-coat.

The bulge/warp in the roof appears to be temperature related. On the coldest day here in Michigan it was not visible. The next day at the dealer ship it was a little warmer and was beginning to show again. This is still not as bad as it was when we first noticed it a couple weeks ago when the bulge was a little higher and stretched across to the opposite side of the vehicle.

Additional bit of info, my service rep. stated they have replaced the dealership owner's First Edition MIC top 4 times.
1 was the general recall replacement as his was freed prior to being held at dirt mountain.
2 additional times for issues with the MIC 2.0 roof for bulges and appearance problems.
The final time was for additional service training as they needed more people up to speed on the service procedure.
Wow….Safe to say this is an issue that should be addressed publicly. @Ford Motor Company

Dcbmstew

Wildtrak
First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Was it a constant squeak or just when you hit bumps?

OP
OP
dcliffo

dcliffo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Was it a constant squeak or just when you hit bumps?
Anything other than a perfectly paved road would cause it to occur. Just general body roll was making the noise happen.
Sponsored