First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wanted to get a Retro Look, and Line-X wanted $750.00 to do the top and hatches. I had read a lot about Raptor Liner (I have no connection with the Company) and decided to give it a try. I used my Kubota RTV to try out the spraying of the liner and had real good luck with it. So I gave the top a shot at it.

Once the top was off I washed it twice with car wash, and then did a third wash with Dawn Dish Soap. When it was dry, I went over all of the surface with 220 grit sand paper, and then wiped it down twice using Lacquer thinner. After that was dry, I went over everything with a tack cloth to remove any dust or small particles that I missed.

I then used Adhesion Promoter over all of the surface and let sit for 20 minutes, and during that time I mixed up the Raptor liner. If you do this project, keep in mind that the Blue Painters Tape and Green Frog Tape do not stick well to the seals. I had a little overspray where the tape did not stick.

My final part of the Retro Build was having the Factory Big Bend wheels powder coated white. The Tires are BFG-K02's size 285-75-17. No rubbing during turns and the Crash Bars are still in.

Nothing special about my equipment. I have a 30 gallon Dewalt compressor, and used the Adjustable sprayer that Upol sells. The adjustable sprayer gives you the option to have a heavy or fine finish. BJ.

Ford Bronco MIC hard top painted white using Raptor Spray Liner:  DIY how-to and photos IMG_8095

Ford Bronco MIC hard top painted white using Raptor Spray Liner:  DIY how-to and photos IMG_8097

Ford Bronco MIC hard top painted white using Raptor Spray Liner:  DIY how-to and photos IMG_8098

Ford Bronco MIC hard top painted white using Raptor Spray Liner:  DIY how-to and photos IMG_8099

Ford Bronco MIC hard top painted white using Raptor Spray Liner:  DIY how-to and photos IMG_8122

Ford Bronco MIC hard top painted white using Raptor Spray Liner:  DIY how-to and photos IMG_8133

Ford Bronco MIC hard top painted white using Raptor Spray Liner:  DIY how-to and photos IMG_8138
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Holy moly! This looks absolutely amazing! Great job!!

BKXJ

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep XJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Very tasteful! Just enough classic on a modern vehicle. Personally it looks like you did well over $750 of work yourself and turned out great.

Sponsored

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looks great! I have Velocity Blue as well and wish I had the guts to do the top. Lol!

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That looks fantastic !!!

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looks amazing!!! I may do this to my 11/14 build when it arrives.

FWIW, for anyone doing this, the 3M Green automotive 233+ tape will stick better than any other masking tape to hard to bond surfaces. It's the gold standard for masking tape in the body shop/collision world. Places like Napa auto parts have it as do any store that sells automotive paint.

It comes in widths from 1/8” to 4”.

Ford Bronco MIC hard top painted white using Raptor Spray Liner:  DIY how-to and photos Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 6.24.25 PM

Last edited:

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Outstanding job, really pops against the blue (not that I'm biased with a VB BL on perpetual order). Pretty confident there's no way you were going to get anything close to that quality of work for $750 from your Line-X shop.

Sponsored

351W-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1969 Bronco, 2001 Excursion (7.3L)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you remove the rear lift-gate hinges before spraying, or did you just tap around them?

Also, did you stop the Raptor liner at the edge of panels, or continue the liner under the "lip" of the panels? I would love to see pics of the "edges" of the panels.

FWIW, I've used Raptor liner before and am a fan, but never in situations that need precision fit.

thanks,
Herb

Deleted member 32220

Definitely looks nice, I like the tire choice as well!

OP
OP
KNXBronco

KNXBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
351W: Herb, I tried to get the Blue tape below the edge, and then as I was spraying I overlapped the edge of it. I did not remove the lift gate hinges, but just taped and sprayed around them. I will try to get some pictures if the edge tomorrow weather permitting. Thanks, BJ.

OP
OP
KNXBronco

KNXBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
MnLakeBum: Thanks for the information about the tape. I need to get some for any future projects. BJ.

OP
OP
KNXBronco

KNXBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model