Sponsored

White line-x / bedliner spray on the cheap hard top?

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So we know that there are 2 tops. The molded in color and the "modular" top (which i assume is painted?)

Still a little light on details but one of them has removable windows (very cool). and the other apparently is lighter (i think some said the other top is a 2 man job i could be wrong).

So here is the question. If people wanted to skip on the premium top with removable windows and get the cheap light one. Would coating the roof with line-x jack the weight up ALOT? defeating the purpose?

I never dealt with linex so i know very little about it other than people like it so much they paint their entire vehicle with it. Anybody know if the weight of the stuff is enough to defeat the "ease of removal" weight bonus of the lighter top?
Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

.7 lbs per square foot @1.8" thick is the official word.
It would probably in all actuality/practicality add about 10 lbs.
I've done several and the added weight when lifting is not noticeable really with the somewhat cumbersome nature and weight of current Jeep tops.

OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've done several and the added weight when lifting is not noticeable really with the somewhat cumbersome nature and weight of current Jeep tops.
thats fantastic. Do you think this could be a relatively inexpensive solution to white top lovers?

anything i should know about linex? problems? aging issues? how to wash it?

SuckItMcGee

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB, 2020 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm also interested in going with some sort of Line-X on the roof. Anyone with experience know how truly durable it is? Problem I see with going with white means scratches/gouges would show the original gray really noticeably. Or are scratches just not a thing with Line-X?

Is it something that needs to be re-applied after x number of years?

OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm also interested in going with some sort of Line-X on the roof. Anyone with experience know how truly durable it is? Problem I see with going with white means scratches/gouges would show the original gray really noticeably. Or are scratches just not a thing with Line-X?

Is it something that needs to be re-applied after x number of years?
I know very little about line-x but the one thing i know about it , is that its essentially armor. Im not even sure if you can scratch it.

people use it on bedliners for that explicit purpose of durability

Sponsored

SuckItMcGee

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB, 2020 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know very little about line-x but the one thing i know about it , is that its essentially armor. Im not even sure if you can scratch it.

people use it on bedliners for that explicit purpose of durability
Thanks - I've only ever been up close and personal with drop-in bedliners, and those get scratched up all to hell. So that's what I picture in my head when I think of a white line-x'd MIC top.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
1.8" thick? That's going to cause some interesting clearance issues.

Even at the (much thinner) recommended thickness, it isn't weight that will be a problem - it will be clearance between mating surfaces. You can't coat two mating surfaces and expect them to dimensionally align again, let alone what issues it would cause on a third plane. Fail to coat the surfaces, and you'll see the underlying color. If it's any indication, coating over the bed rails and coating the tailgate to match will sometimes cause interference between the top of the gate and the top of the bed and you can't close the gate without difficulty. Think about how big that gap is.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

thats fantastic. Do you think this could be a relatively inexpensive solution to white top lovers?

anything i should know about linex? problems? aging issues? how to wash it?
Depends on who is doing it. This is one of the things I do on the side, so of course I would love to say "No, professional application only". But in all reality if you have a concept of prepping and painting, an air compressor with enough CFM to spray it, and an area outside that is ok to get some overspray on, you can do it at home and save $.
The kit is more or less $200. You would need a couple of good quality scotchbrite pads and some good 3M tape/masking material.
Tape off all the rubber seals and the entire bottom/front perimeter really well to avoid getting it inside or on rubber seals.
Scotchbrite WELL every single square inch. Clean it off with a quality wax and grease remover (or alcohol). Use a tack cloth and wipe it once dry.
Follow the directions to a "T".
Dry to handle later the same day.
To do it, I charge (on current Jeep tops) $500 for a 2 door and 7-800 for a 4 door with the freedom panels all done as well.
Other places might/probably charge more.

No issues other than IF you put it on, it is a decision that you live with. It is not removable easily or cheaply, and I wouldn't even begin to try.
Aging, it does well. If you do white or black, I've seen no issues with cracking, fading after several years.
I did one for a guy who wanted a House of Kolor blue candy mixed in the tintable version. Looked great for a while. But candy paint does not like UV. I do NOT recommend it.
Using an OD green in a tintable works very well and looks outstanding for those wanting the military look. I've done several.
Cleaning, just regular car wash is fine. I have a long handled medium bristle brush I use to scrub mine when I wash it.

cactus_jack

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's durable as hell. Also weighs a ton and looks pretty rough. Might as well paint the bronco your preferred color with house paint. It'll look great.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1.8" thick? That's going to cause some interesting clearance issues.

Even at the (much thinner) recommended thickness, it isn't weight that will be a problem - it will be clearance between mating surfaces. You can't coat two mating surfaces and expect them to dimensionally align again, let alone what issues it would cause on a third plane. Fail to coat the surfaces, and you'll see the underlying color. If it's any indication, coating over the bed rails and coating the tailgate to match will sometimes cause interference between the top of the gate and the top of the bed and you can't close the gate without difficulty. Think about how big that gap is.
I know this, and is something I eluded to in one of the other numerous posts about it.
I do not recommend going heavy on low clearance joints.
When I do it, I spray enough to get the texture close to the inside mating surface, and actually go back behind with a paint that matches the liner color so there aren't any ugly fade lines or uncolored areas.
Jeep tops have enough clearance to go ahead and line them (sparingly). Unknown about the Bronco tops until I actually get to see the panels fit in real time.

Sponsored
OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks - I've only ever been up close and personal with drop-in bedliners, and those get scratched up all to hell. So that's what I picture in my head when I think of a white line-x'd MIC top.
wait i dont know much about linex does it get scratched? am i wrong?

I just know people linex their entire vehicle so im assuming it offers massive protection from stuff like that

BroncoJeremie

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bad idea, pretty much any color other than black will fade into a weird gross color If j remember right white turns into a gross yellow over time

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

wait i dont know much about linex does it get scratched? am i wrong?

I just know people linex their entire vehicle so im assuming it offers massive protection from stuff like that
It does. IT's not indestructible or rubber though.
It will gouge and actually peel if not prepped properly before applying it.
But it is a lot more durable than paint.
And you can go back and touch up areas that need it if it gets too scratched.
If you are pushing over pine trees 3" thick it will take a beating and mess up. Normal tail riding and everyday use: no issue.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Won't that come out looking like a bad stucco job?

OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It does. IT's not indestructible or rubber though.
It will gouge and actually peel if not prepped properly before applying it.
But it is a lot more durable than paint.
And you can go back and touch up areas that need it if it gets too scratched.
If you are pushing over pine trees 3" thick it will take a beating and mess up. Normal tail riding and everyday use: no issue.
ya im not really doing the linex for mainly durability. Only because i assume it will be more durable than paint would be and "match" the textured surface of the molded hard top.

Otherwise i would get the modular hard top and have it painted (much more money and its a 2 man removal job)
Sponsored