Sponsored

MIC hard top - recommendations to protect paint/body?

jclark

Badlands
First Name
Jeanette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Got the 4-door Badlands Sas in February and this weekend was the first I had all of the MIC panels off. The top tension brackets for the rear panel have been rubbing paint off of the body on the top of the roll bar. I'll get with the dealer for needed repairs - but wanted to know what others have done to prevent that point forward?

And related to that - are there other general items folks with MIC tops are doing to protect the paint where the panels make contact with the body?
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Got the 4-door Badlands Sas in February and this weekend was the first I had all of the MIC panels off. The top tension brackets for the rear panel have been rubbing paint off of the body on the top of the roll bar. I'll get with the dealer for needed repairs - but wanted to know what others have done to prevent that point forward?

And related to that - are there other general items folks with MIC tops are doing to protect the paint where the panels make contact with the body?
Not aware of this being an issue w/ MIC tops...any pictures?

retiredarmymp

Badlands
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The MIC hardtop panels should not be touching any painted surface. Pics?

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Be more careful when lifting off and lowering on. Ive got a few scratches on the sides of my roll bar from moving back and forth with my hoist.

OP
OP

jclark

Badlands
First Name
Jeanette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The MIC has the 4 attachments in the cargo area, and then the 1 on top for each side. The two on top are metal to metal where that tension bracket sits under the front of the back panel and is secured to the top roll bar.

When I removed the rear section, the metal on metal is rubbing the paint, one side more than the other.

Top of the passenger side roll bar where the hard top attaches to the frame.

Ford Bronco MIC hard top - recommendations to protect paint/body? tempImageIrDS4

Top of the driver side rollbar where the the hardtop attaches to the frame.

Ford Bronco MIC hard top - recommendations to protect paint/body? tempImageB94RtK

Sponsored

AK007

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awaiting my Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The MIC has the 4 attachments in the cargo area, and then the 1 on top for each side. The two on top are metal to metal where that tension bracket sits under the front of the back panel and is secured to the top roll bar.

When I removed the rear section, the metal on metal is rubbing the paint, one side more than the other.

Ford Bronco MIC hard top - recommendations to protect paint/body? tempImageB94RtK

Yikes, I though about purchasing the IAG or Amazon versions of the rubber protection for that painted surface. It's primarily for soft tops but IAG said it can be used for the hard top too. May even help cut down on wind noise.

https://iagoffroad.com/iag-i-line-rear-tub-rail-protectors-for-2021--ford-bronco-four-door/

OP
OP

jclark

Badlands
First Name
Jeanette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yikes, I though about purchasing the IAG or Amazon versions of the rubber protection for that painted surface. It's primarily for soft tops but IAG said it can be used for the hard top too. May even help cut down on wind noise.

https://iagoffroad.com/iag-i-line-rear-tub-rail-protectors-for-2021--ford-bronco-four-door/
The IAG option is for the cargo area - where there is a full rubber gasket between the MIC rear section and the body.

The area pictured above is the roof roll bar - above the 2nd row seats - where the front of the rear MIC section is secured to the top of that roll bar.

Not my pic (photo credit @c2one) - but I'm referring to the areas in yellow highlighted on roof roll bars here.
Ford Bronco MIC hard top - recommendations to protect paint/body? 1694207488963

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’d say buy a paint touch up pen and some 3M clear paint protection film to cap those areas

cdcsf

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB Sprinter 4x4, '22 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco MIC hard top - recommendations to protect paint/body? 1694207488963

I've got the same issue of paint rubbing off on the top of the rollbar. I don't have paint rubbing off of the bolt holes. I only noticed this after removing the rear section a couple of times, so I assumed the rubbing was because I tightened the bolts too much (which actually was basically hand tight).

I plan to get the Ford touch-up paint pen (Carbonized Grey, the paint pen is now backordered until the end of Sept...originally was until end of Aug). And, then I'll add a couple of those plastic/rubber half-domed vinyl bumpers (like you find on the back of cabinet doors) so that the metal bracket does not make contact with the painted roll bar.
Sponsored