Sponsored

MIC Hardtop Noise : get what you pay for?

riyatch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So, I finally got around to partially doing this today. I tackled the two areas that I believed the majority of my wind noise was coming from, rhe front seal and the seal between the hardtop and the front panels (still need to do the sides - this is a 2 door).

I couldn't find the black rubber tubing so I ended up with 3/4" OD, 1/2" ID clear soft plastic tubing. $1/foot and 10 feet was enough tubing to fill both the front and back seal voids (although it required a bit more pressure to pull the back down than the front.

What a huge difference. There is some minor noise from above the doors, but the front seal wind noise is completely gone - tested at 80 MPH on the Interstate, and it is way more pleasant.
Do you have any pictures of the modifications you made? I have excess wind noise between the front 2 pieces and the rear on my 2 door.
Sponsored

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, I finally got around to partially doing this today. I tackled the two areas that I believed the majority of my wind noise was coming from, rhe front seal and the seal between the hardtop and the front panels (still need to do the sides - this is a 2 door).

I couldn't find the black rubber tubing so I ended up with 3/4" OD, 1/2" ID clear soft plastic tubing. $1/foot and 10 feet was enough tubing to fill both the front and back seal voids (although it required a bit more pressure to pull the back down than the front.

What a huge difference. There is some minor noise from above the doors, but the front seal wind noise is completely gone - tested at 80 MPH on the Interstate, and it is way more pleasant.
A picture heavy follow up post of the fix, when you have the time, would be much appreciated.

Bronc6g22

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Tacoma TRDOR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just took delivery of an OBX with MIC2 hardtop. I am pleasantly surprised by the road/wind noise level. I had not driven a SAS on the highway and was a bit concerned about it after reading many of the posts. I don't think the noise is worse than any other truck I've driven and, on some road surfaces, is actually better than the Camry I was recently driving.

The radio is tolerable at a 7 or 8 on the highway. Conversations, at least with front row occupants, is fine.

It is an OBX. It does have the additional sound deadening. I even have tried the $6 MIC hardtop noise hack, which I'm not convinced did anything, but maybe.

So, I'm curious . . . . does your level of sound satisfaction correlate to the model being driven and/or the presence of sound deadening?

I stand to reassure OBX SAS drivers that all will likely be okay for you in the noise department.
Badlands with high package and MIC here. I'm convinced the ride and wind level is quieter than my 2015 Mazda 6 (and I consider the Mazda's fit and finish very good). Maybe just honeymoon phase. But the MIC and base radio system are not too shabby. We'll see if any gremlins come up after taking the top off a few times.

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
BTW, downloaded a phone app db meter today, unfortunately I had my much noisier 33.5" mud terrain tires on the vehicle.

80 MPH - 76 dB
70 MPH - 72 dB
60 MPH - 70 - 71 dB

I am convinced that the stock OBX tires would probably read 70 dB or less on my phone at 80 MPH. I will give it a run next week hopefully.

Buck₩ild

Black Diamond
First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willys, Bronco BD, Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And here I am with no headliner on my black diamond thinking it's not bad😭

Sponsored

MudMonsterRacin

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1, 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

And here I am with no headliner on my black diamond thinking it's not bad😭
My black diamond hardtop doesn't have sound deadening. I think it helps more with the tin sound inside and the heat in summer. Also noticed the no touch car was is really loud lol. I shoved some foam in the gap where the back part of the shell meets the back doors. that helped the wind noise on mine noticeably. Mines really quiet i think considering the roof comes off.

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I expected it to be a problem, especially with a lot of the early reviews saying that wind noise drowned out the 'squatch Goodyears beyond 40mph.

In practice I've found that to be absolutely not true, the Goodyears singing the song of their people is evident at all speeds, and the wind noise isn't intrusive at all.
Sponsored