First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2011 F350 D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, 262 miles on my Bronco and figured out the misfire. Scanner said misfire on #1 cylinder so i did switch the #1 and #3 coil packs and the miss continued but did not change to #3. I had it towed to the dealer and hoped for the best, a spark plug at best or an injector at worst.

The following day I went to the dealer, I prefer face to face, and was informed it was a spark plug..... the ground electrode broke off and shredded the cylinder, piston top and head.

They ran a camera through the spark plug hole and found out what happened. The spark plug ground electrode had a clean burn line about 1/2 way through the thickness of the electrode, looks like it had a hairline crack and the heat caused it to break off (it did not break at the weld).

My salesman was all over it, looking into ways to get me taken care of and to speed up the process, the service guy was awesome as well looking for ways to get my Bronco back to me faster. They all bent over backwards to help me and got me a loaner car with 49 miles on it.

Thanks Donald and Aaron at Waldorf Ford, they definitely made this difficult day bearable.

Freak thing, not a mechanical failure due to shoddy work or poor design.... just a freak thing so there is no one to be upset with.

Not the dealerships fault and not the service manager or salesmans fault and not Ford's fault... no sense taking it out on them, staying positive and waiting on my new engine!

Unlike waiting for it to arrive I can at least go look at it and sit in it if I want.... lol
Sponsored

Last edited:

Forditude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0 5* Tuned, GX470 Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sorry to hear that but glad your dealership was able to take care of you. It definitely sound s like a freak thing for the plug to have a hairline crack. Hoping they are able to source a new engine for you soon.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well, 262 miles on my Bronco and figured out the misfire. Scanner said misfire on #1 cylinder so i did switch the #1 and #3 coil packs and the miss continued but did not change to #3. I had it towed to the dealer and hoped for the best, a spark plug at best or an injector at worst.

The following day I went to the dealer, I prefer face to face, and was informed it was a spark plug..... the ground electrode broke off and shredded the cylinder, piston top and head.

They ran a camera through the spark plug hole and found out what happened. The spark plug ground electrode had a clean burn line about 1/2 way through the thickness of the electrode, looks like it had a hairline crack and the heat caused it to break off (it did not break at the weld).

My salesman was all over it, looking into ways to get me taken care of and to speed up the process, the service guy was awesome as well looking for ways to get my Bronco back to me faster. They all bent over backwards to help me and got me a loaner car with 49 miles on it.

Thanks Donald and Aaron at Waldorf Ford, they definitely made this difficult day bearable.

Freak thing, not a mechanical failure due to shoddy work or poor design.... just a freak thing so there is no one to be upset with.

Not the dealerships fault and not the service manager or salesmans fault and not Ford's fault... no sense taking it out on them, staying positive and waiting on my new engine!

Unlike waiting for it to arrive I can at least go look at it and sit in it if I want.... lol
Do you have a 2.7 liter make sure you post your engine build date so it gets added to the blown engine list we’re tracking good chance your enine could of dropped a valve never heard of an engine having to be replaced cause of a spark plug that’s a new one for sure def freak of nature

OP
OP
Copper380

Copper380

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you have a 2.7 liter make sure you post your engine build date so it gets added to the blown engine list we’re tracking good chance your enine could of dropped a valve never heard of an engine having to be replaced cause of a spark plug that’s a new one for sure def freak of nature
I have a 2.3L. To be fair the engine did not blow. The metal that broke off the plug beat up the cylinder and the head. The engine still runs but the damage done by the piece of metal destroyed the cylinder to where the engine needs replaced. I saw the pictures, it did some damage.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was waiting for your update to the original thread you started. Thanks for the update but would be nice to update your original thread to let others know what the problem was. I knew it was misfire…always shut down with a flashing cel and don’t “limp” home. That’s probably why you ended up totally trashed, but it may not have mattered…who knows

OP
OP
Copper380

Copper380

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was waiting for your update to the original thread you started. Thanks for the update but would be nice to update your original thread to let others know what the problem was. I knew it was misfire…always shut down with a flashing cel and don’t “limp” home. That’s probably why you ended up totally trashed, but it may not have mattered…who knows
I will do an update tomorrow
Sponsored