Sponsored

Mounting roof rack tracks directly to MIC top? (4-door)

Weasel2021

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep / Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thoughts? I'll mainly be carrying surfboards and kayaks. Would have 2 sections per side, on the center panel and rear roof section. I'd like to be able to easily remove the bars when not needed and the tracks could could double as lift points for hanging in the garage, etc. Plenty of Jeeps have done this and I just used the rail rails when I had my JK. My other issue is garage door clearance. The Badass tents rack would just barely clear which is my other option.
Sponsored

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Had a 98 wrangler with a hardtop a while back. Took the rails and cross bars off of a totaled SUV in a salvage yard and bolted them straight to the hard top. I will admit I totaled that vehicle on the highway, BUT it was the clamps on the ski box that failed when hit the median, NOT the DIY bolt on rails. I remember how impressed I was.

To go this route you have to be okay will drilling through the top and having bolt heads visible from interior. You will also have to liberally apply sealant around bolts..

Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but hopefully a starting point for ideas!

OP
OP
Weasel2021

Weasel2021

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep / Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Had a 98 wrangler with a hardtop a while back. Took the rails and cross bars off of a totaled SUV in a salvage yard and bolted them straight to the hard top. I will admit I totaled that vehicle on the highway, BUT it was the clamps on the ski box that failed when hit the median, NOT the DIY bolt on rails. I remember how impressed I was.

To go this route you have to be okay will drilling through the top and having bolt heads visible from interior. You will also have to liberally apply sealant around bolts..

Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but hopefully a starting point for ideas!
I have some ideas on how to handle the interior hardware. Drilling holes in a new top might be painful though...

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thought about this and a couple threads have popped up.

The conclusion is usually that nobody wants to risk putting any additional stress or strain on the cardboard tops.

teevan

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You could do what this guy did: Roof straps for hardtop. | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

Seems to have worked for him with a surfboard. I am thinking about the same thing myself by hooking up a soft rack this way. He has a 2 door, so he used the spaces on the rear roof to mount.
I also have the 4 door, and there is a place where I was thinking about latching the front strap at the back end of the front roof panel. Not sure if that is a good idea to stress the panel on one end...maybe you should try it first and let me know? :cool:
Sponsored