Sponsored

Musky, damp smell BD 2023 800 miles HTop.

JarheadE5

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Last couple of days I’ve been smelling what could be damp, musky smell inside Bronco. Haven’t taken hard top off, lots of rain lately here in Miami. Put the hose to work, can’t seem to find the leak, if any. Appointment w/ford dealer 10/9 “might take 5 days to get to it.” Don’t want to start adding silicone seal to avoid warranty issues in a new car. Could it be other reasons, air filters, etc… even checked for dead ( fill in the blank ) organisms… popped the hood.. no eating in the car. Pretty good outdoor parking spot. Just don’t know what I dont Know as to where else to look.
Sponsored

BroncoBilly22

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 series & 2022 TESLA Y
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Check your rear hardtop window, those seals tend to drip if they sag. Water would end up in the rear cargo area / rear flip up storage area & you will see drip trails going down the hatch window itself. Water leaks suck!

Dan-O

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
With only 800 miles I can’t imagine it to be the issue, but my AC began putting out the musty smell at about 4500 miles. I would pop glove box and remove the cabin filter and take a good close whiff. Hopefully it’s something as easy as that. I ran AC freshener/cleaner thru duct after the fan. Smell cleared right up.

OP
OP
JarheadE5

JarheadE5

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Amazon.com - DampRid Fresh Scent Hanging Moisture Absorber, 16 oz., 3 Pack - Eliminates Musty Odors for Fresher, Cleaner Air, Ideal for Closet, 14% More Moisture Absorbing Power*- Blue

Works very well. I hang one off the head rest bar on my back seats in all my cars. Keeps it smelling fresh without any strong scent like most air fresheners.
Much appreciated. I know The Beast will get wet but sooooo soon?! Shouldn’t the hard top be 99% leak proof?
Check your rear hardtop window, those seals tend to drip if they sag. Water would end up in the rear cargo area / rear flip up storage area & you will see drip trails going down the hatch window itself. Water leaks suck!
thank you. Will put the hose specifically on this area.
With only 800 miles I can’t imagine it to be the issue, but my AC began putting out the musty smell at about 4500 miles. I would pop glove box and remove the cabin filter and take a good close whiff. Hopefully it’s something as easy as that. I ran AC freshener/cleaner thru duct after the fan. Smell cleared right up.
on point Dan O, on point!

Sponsored

Jawaburger

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2 Door, Manual, Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you have fabric floor mats, give them a smell. You may have tracked water in from the rain while entering your vehicle, and if you had your windows up so no fresh air, you might be growing some mildew in your mats.

TEAMSLO

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco 2.7 4d Oxford White & 22' JLURD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Do you have the headliners? I know this may be ridiculous but what about the adhesive used from the factory for the headliners plus the heat from anytime it sits outside?

Broncobren

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WT High Pkg MIC Mod Bumper
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

X2 for checking rear flip up glass. My cables for my washer fluid in the rear wiper were bent and prevented my rubber seal from sealing against the glass. Easy fix just by reforming those wires by hand so they are away from the seal.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On a warm day when turning on AC is it worse for awhile? Could be mold in AC system. Had that issue with a Chevy Colorado. Would stink bad upon turn on. It would subside noticeably after running and return next cycle. Could be water under flooring. Do some checking around by lifting flooring or get a hand under it on each side. And the rear cargo area.

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't have the issue with the dry climate here in Utah, but I've seen and heard a lot of issues with the rear compartment under the liner (where the jack is stowed). Flip that door up and see if it's wet in there.

Sponsored

Freebird32

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F150 4x4, 82 Toyota 4x4 orig owner, 08 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Check that AC drain is working. While AC is running you should see water dripping to ground under vehicle at firewall. If not it might be plugged and would leak to cabin floor inside.

OP
OP
JarheadE5

JarheadE5

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you have fabric floor mats, give them a smell. You may have tracked water in from the rain while entering your vehicle, and if you had your windows up so no fresh air, you might be growing some mildew in your mats.
Roger that, rubber flooring on my rig. Thanks for taking the time and helping out.
X2 for checking rear flip up glass. My cables for my washer fluid in the rear wiper were bent and prevented my rubber seal from sealing against the glass. Easy fix just by reforming those wires by hand so they are away from the seal.
thank you.
On a warm day when turning on AC is it worse for awhile? Could be mold in AC system. Had that issue with a Chevy Colorado. Would stink bad upon turn on. It would subside noticeably after running and return next cycle. Could be water under flooring. Do some checking around by lifting flooring or get a hand under it on each side. And the rear cargo area.
did the AC test today. Hound dog nose, not the culprit. I’m running down all leads and comments on this thread. Much appreciated. Kind folks us Bronco riders!
Check that AC drain is working. While AC is running you should see water dripping to ground under vehicle at firewall. If not it might be plugged and would leak to cabin floor inside.
The dealer is taking the Bronco in. I’ll suggest away. Thanks

WarthogJr

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Has Nicholas Cage been in your Bronco?

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Last couple of days I’ve been smelling what could be damp, musky smell inside Bronco. Haven’t taken hard top off, lots of rain lately here in Miami. Put the hose to work, can’t seem to find the leak, if any. Appointment w/ford dealer 10/9 “might take 5 days to get to it.” Don’t want to start adding silicone seal to avoid warranty issues in a new car. Could it be other reasons, air filters, etc… even checked for dead ( fill in the blank ) organisms… popped the hood.. no eating in the car. Pretty good outdoor parking spot. Just don’t know what I dont Know as to where else to look.
In for solutions

I have a musty, almost BO smell on startup from mine, even when we haven’t had rain in weeks