Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The point of this thread is to point out some trends from FoMoCo over the years, where Bronco might be going based on the information we do have, and speculation for where MY22 Bronco is going in their paint colors.

We have what Mr. Levine has been quoted as saying:
" Earlier this year, Ford's North American Product Communications Manager Mike Levine confirmed that the 2022 Bronco will get new colors after being asked if Cyber Orange will be available for 2022, but every option in the leak was previously available for 2021. "Not sure if Cyber Orange will still be available for MY22. New colors come in when others go and there are new colors coming in 2022," said Levine. "

First off, we need some foundation knowledge of what MAP can do regarding quantity of paint colors and ordering:
  • in 2019, MAP had 8 available colors for the launch of Ranger
  • In 2021, MAP had 11 available colors which were shared between Ranger and Bronco
    • Before MY21 production started, there was a member on Ranger5g (employee who worked at MAP) who posted that MAP was getting a 12th color. This turned out to be what was used for Lightning Blue on the FE models.
    • Unless there have been further expansions that we don't know of, MAP is capable of putting out 12 different paint colors on the same line every day.
  • The 6th generation of Ranger comes in MY23, so Bronco and Ranger should share almost all paints in MY22
  • According to sources who's brains I picked specifically for this thread*, paint is one of the shortest lead-time items in the industry. Regurgitating their input: 95% of modern water-based paint OEM's used is whatever standard base used in all their colors, it is neutral and has no color of it's own. Then you add the 11 herbs and spice-girls into the paint and you have an actual color.
    • Meaning 95% of the paint was ordered years ago no matter what and this hasn't been hit very hard by material shortages
    • The other 5% is mixed into the paint just before use and can generally be had in a few months notice
      • Where this is going, is that an OEM "could" drastically altar it's paint pallet from year to year if it didn't want to order that 5% with bulk discounting.
And we need some understanding of how Ford might be splitting colors between Ranger and Bronco.
  • Due to shared manufacturing/painting facilities, Ranger and Bronco will always share the lions share of paint colors. There is no getting around this. and we saw it with the MY21 Ranger paints shifting to align with Bronco.
  • Ranger will not need as many paint colors, nor have as many editions as Bronco in any year, so you can assume that all 12 colors won't mirror each other
    • When Warthog comes out it could be reasonably assumed that it might share a special color with Ranger Tremor.
Plus some information on what the re-launch of Bronco means to Ford.
  • In the same way that Mustang has evolved to be it's own "brand", Ford has pushed Bronco in the same direction. Both of these models are lifestyle brands that sell an image of excitement, youth and fun.
    • How many exterior Ford badges are on a Mustang? Zero.
    • How many exterior Ford badges are on a Mustang Mach-E? Zero (not getting into weather or not the Mach-E is a Mustang here)
    • Bronco has 1 exterior Ford badge and my guess is that the 7th generation won't have any Ford badges. It was to re-launch the brand and help the uninformed associate the vehicle with Ford.
  • Ford has already incentivized dealerships to create dedicated Bronco-only store fronts. There are roughly 100 dealerships around the country doing this. Bronco is a Heritage brand, and they are pushing it as such.
Get to the damn paint already, you bozo!
  • Ford has recently made a few unusual moves when viewed from their traditional business model. Among them are:
    • There are 6 (SIX!) paint changes to MY22 Mustang. Mustang has had a very slow moving color pallet for the entirety of the IRS years (2015+) and follows Ford's tried and true paint methodology of:
      • 2 tri-coat or "cost options"
      • 2-3 dedicated Mustang-only paint colors, typically on GT350 and up, or the "grabber" series of paints
      • The rest are just pulled from Ford's fleetwide paint pallet, but Mustang typically gets the brighter colors
      • Half of the colors are grayscale (personally I hate this practice, but it sells cars, so it works)
    • The traditional rotation of certain hues on a 3/4 year basis (depending on model) has been consistent for this century. Suddenly we see Ford changing this drastically for MY22.
      • AMB, an admitted flop based on the take-rate, gets dropped after a shortened model year (MY21)
      • Velocity Blue had an unusually short life of 2/3 years (depending on model), after following the hugely popular Lightning Blue which had 4+ years of use.
    • Releasing a very NON-lifestyle pallet for the launch of 6th gen Bronco that . Deadpanned immediately from nearly every media outlet, plus a sharp negative response from customers, the Bronco pallet was the textbook application of limping into a hand of poker or being HIGHLY risk aversive.
      • Please note that at the time the paint selections had to be made, it was before the reservation process started. So it's possible Ford played it safe and wanted to see how many reservations poured in. I'm betting there was at least one awkward conversation about having a big miss on paint strategy for a heritage and lifestyle brand.
      • Jeep had already proven the playbook on this for the 30-something years Bronco didn't exist. How Ford failed so badly to identify and use this aspect of a lifestyle brand is beyond me.
Here we go, PAINT!

• The early MY22 Bronco paint pallet is PROVISIONAL. It shows 8 paint options which will be used in production. This leaves at least 4 colors which have not been announced. There has been no word on B6g or Ranger5G that another paint color has come on line during MY21 and it is doubtful to think so unless they install it during the plant closure prior to MY22 Job#1.
  • Note that Ranger's 2022 color pallet also hasn't been announced. It's not difficult to change these things but Ranger and Bronco will get their final colors announced at nearly the same time as usual.

Ford Bronco MY22 Color options thread 881615[1]

• Using Mustang as an example, here are the paint options for MY21 and MY22 (you'll have to click links and do some of your own work)
  • These changes are substantial and as Mustang is Ford's only other lifestyle/heritage brand vehicle, this alludes to a change within FoMoCo as how they are treating these brands. They also need sales after the horrors of MY21, and new colors can pump sales for a year or two.
Without further adieu, here are my paint predictions for the 4 unrevealed paint colors for Bronco:

1. Atlas Blue replaces Velocity Blue, and does so across Ford's fleetwide paint pallet (no pics below, use the video in 4K)
    1. 4k video of the color in overcast skies:
    2. Has been used on all trims of Explorer
    3. This should also be on Ranger
  2. Green(name TBD) finally makes it's way to Bronco! (pics below to keep the text moving)
    1. @Bellebracht made some absolutely fantastic renderings of Bronco in what was then called Everglades Green
      1. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...022-bronco-heritage-edition-renders-☘️.16276/
    2. Of note: We're unsure if Green will be a heritage edition only paint color, and if this can only be paired with a white MOD roof and thus unknown when it would be available during MY22. Assuming Q4.
    3. Unlikely to be used on Ranger, but it would be fun if it was!
  3. Oil Slick Blue-Purple replaces AMB (pics below to keep the text moving)
    1. This is a big upgrade as AMB had proven to be a verylow take-rate color and was essentially black.
      1. Please note I think AMB had the best flake Ford's ever used in a paint color! Except it was overpowered by the darkness of the paint.
        1. video of the awesome flake in AMB:
    2. Likely to be used on Ranger
  4. Yellowstonebecomes a Bronco-exclusive color and most likely used on a special edition (one would guess the "Yellowstone Edition". Pics linked in below)
    1. @Dads_bronze_bronco did an excellent thread on the color, please check it out!
      1. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/introducing-yellowstone-new-color-for-2022-bronco.16868/
    2. Can't help but mention that it was likely Ford wanted another "melted crayon" color as they are all the rage these days. Moab must have been about 65% melted crayon colors for any rigs there that were less than 3-5 years old.
    3. Will not be used on Ranger

So here we have all 12 paint colors available to Bronco based on what information has been made available so far, and adjusting the colors a bit to align with the other Lifestyle model, Mustang.

Sources have been linked above for where the following pictures came from so i'll recuse myself from adding more text below this aside to give the paint name or what is being shown.

MY22 Mustang pallet
Ford Bronco MY22 Color options thread 2022-mustang-colors-header[1]

MY21 Mustang pallet
Ford Bronco MY22 Color options thread 2021-mustang-colors-header

Green (Everglades/Eruption/
Ford Bronco MY22 Color options thread 223689060_4480592258675468_1084106489546314719_n
Ford Bronco MY22 Color options thread 2022-mustang-colors-sample-eruption-green-2
Ford Bronco MY22 Color options thread 2022-mustang-colors-sample-eruption-green

Oil Slick Blue-Purple
Ford Bronco MY22 Color options thread 2022-mustang-colors-sample-oil-slick-3
Ford Bronco MY22 Color options thread 2022-mustang-colors-sample-oil-slick-2
Ford Bronco MY22 Color options thread oil slick blue purple

2019 Ranger paint pallet:
Ford Bronco MY22 Color options thread 2019 Ranger paint options

*The paint info sources was a person who owns a very large and busy body shop with a massive paint booth who pushes out hundreds of cars a month. The other paints planes for Boeing in their booth which is about twice the size of a 787, it's very impressive and he uses a LOT of material to paint a plane.
Sponsored

Bdockins

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Thoughts on whether any of the “New 3 or 4” will be late availability?
Ima damn sure be wanting the thing (11pm 2Doorer here) earliest I can. But that GREEN 🤩

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

@Rick Astley Great lay out of your thoughts on this.

Question: How close is Oil Slick Blue to Kona? (My son bought a 2020 Mustang instead of custom ordering a 2021 because we both like Kona better than AMB.)

Also, there is a Peak Blue Metallic (Color Code: KY/M7469) on some of the touch up sites. Not sure how that lines up with Atlas Blue. Seems lighter.

OP
OP
Rick Astley

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thoughts on whether any of the “New 3 or 4” will be late availability?
Ima damn sure be wanting the thing (11pm 2Doorer here) earliest I can. But that GREEN 🤩
I don't have any inside sources or special knowledge about specifics. I'm constantly on tour so such connections aren't made. Although I did drink a Rockstar last week! Energy for days!

Theoretically, all these paints are very easy to make/spray. Except for Yellowstone, they are all available for Mustang so I would venture that "Job #1 MY22" is when it "could" happen.

That is not to say it will, or that roof options wont restrict color choice, or that some other unknown commodity constraint wont push back a special edition to Q? or Q? and possibly Q?, bla bla bla.....

Did I not answer your question well enough? 🤣🤣🤣

Sponsored

GAbronco

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I just need the new color choices to place nice with my orange accent Badlands interior :LOL:

OP
OP
Rick Astley

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
@Rick Astley Great lay out of your thoughts on this.

Question: How close is Oil Slick Blue to Kona? (My son bought a 2020 Mustang instead of custom ordering a 2021 because we both like Kona better than AMB.)

Also, there is a Peak Blue Metallic (Color Code: KY/M7469) on some of the touch up sites. Not sure how that lines up with Atlas Blue. Seems lighter.
I had thought of adding a 14th color and it would be Peak Blue Metallic. But without any info on another paint line coming available, I stuck with what we know for MY22.

Edit for @Dads_bronze_bronco : Thinking more on it, it's possible that MY22 gets Peak Blue Metallic instead of Yellowstone as Cyber Orange is already in the lineup. Then for MY23 we see Cyber Orange dropped and Yellowstone come in for a special edition. That would be a substantially stronger play from Ford than having Yellowstone and Cyber Orange together. The melty crayon effect probably overpowers color-logic right now with sales.

Personal feeling is that with the rotation of special editions that will be peppered in throughout the 6th gen, we will see a constant rotation of 2-3 colors per year. And that some planned MY22 editions have been pushed back to MY23.

I also feel that 6th Gen Bronco will soldier on a full model year longer than originally planned to recoup the development fees and turn a profit overall, which is a good thing, this rig is quite the looker. We're all excited for the Bronco for a reason (and disappointed when it gets a delay for a reason).

Edit: Forgot to mention Kona. I would venture these colors are quite different. Kona has very little color "flop" with lighting and is consistent in it's "Purple that can look a little blue". OSBP seems to take AMB and ramp it up to 11. It flops from near-black, to midnight, to navy and also some purple.... Pretty cool flop if you're into a car that can look different in different lighting!

Last edited:

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Pretty good logic and as a long time mustang owner makes sense. I do think maybe green will be available on more than just a Heritage. Total think Atlas Blue will be the "Blue" Bronco color replacement although I pray for Grabber Blue!!!!

TX_Bronco77

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The oil slick blue-purple gives me the warm and fuzzies and I want it.