Broncomike11

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Similar to the title, this is my first year up from the south and living in a state with an actual winter.

I wanted to gather opinions as to what tires you use during the winter, whether you use dedicated snow tires (I hear Nokian is good) or just stick with all-terrain.

For context, I live in Denver but plan to do some driving through the mountains (nothing too crazy) and really don't have much at all experience driving through snow.

Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can't speak of Colorado specifically, but If you've never driven in winter conditions before, I would recommend good snow tires (nokians are supposed to be among the best, but really any reputable brand will have a good product, IMO)

Personally I live in an area that gets lots of snow and ice and find the OEM KO2's have worked good enough for my needs, but I grew up in this area and have 3 decades of experience driving in winter conditions.

Fly

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No experience in snow? Winter tires would be a great investment in your safety for the first few seasons at least. Nokian Hakkapelitas are excellent.

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The first thing you need to remember about driving in slick conditions is that four-wheel-drive makes a world of difference to help you go, but doesn’t help much when you’re trying to slow down, stop, or corner. Stopping in slick conditions in a four-wheel-drive vehicle is better than a 2 Wheel Dr. because a 2 Wheel Dr. vehicle will tend to lock up the front tires since they are not in gear, so to speak. But all four tires will lock up if you brake too aggressively.

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m is ski boots 150 days per year, so I am driving a lot in snow, regardless of how gnarly it gets. I’m also in SW CO, so geographically close, but different snow by a bit. My winter driver is also not my Bronco, but something with advanced AWD.

I’d weigh how much you will be in the mountains. If it is a very occasional trip up the I70 corridor, and you can choose your weather and day, it is probably not a “need”.

However being new to snow, and if cost is not a driver, it would be prudent to get snows. In the end, if you are keeping the vehicle for some years, you will be spreading that wear and tear over two sets of tires. So you will spend more up front on two sets, but have greater coefficient of friction, and control, over the long run.

Studded Nokias are my go-to for Intermountain snowpack. Those AMs when it is below zero and I am headed up to teach, the roads are hard packed snow and ice. The studded Nokias excel in those conditions. 40 degrees and slushy snow, they are not at firm footed.

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with all the advice provided. While 3-peak-rated all seasons like the KO2s do a good job on snow and ice, the performance gain of a pure winter tire is very noticeable. You will be safer on dedicated winters.

OP
OP

Broncomike11

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the feedback. Though I thought it'd be nice to save some $$$ with year-round tires, I ultimately agree that its a safer/wiser bet to go with the snow tires. And potentially a cost saver in spreading the miles across two sets versus one.

It seems like Nokian are the best bet here. Appreciate it @Fly and @Durangatan!
Sponsored

Reactions: Fly