Sponsored

New Two-Row Grand Cherokee Announced - Thoughts?

Taco_Sexual

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Jeep had an event today and announced the two-row variant of their updated Grand Cherokee. I've got my eye on the hybrid version (57 mpg) of the Trailhawk. I'm a day two reservation holder but due to my options I got 99'd to the '23 MY. I still plan on keeping my reservation but the Trailhawk update looks very nice and is probably the one vehicle out there that would make me rethink the Bronco. Anyone else in the same boat? If Toyota rolls out a significantly updated 4runner that could make the decision harder, too.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2022-jeep-grand-cherokee-debuts-4xe-plug-in-trailhawk/
Sponsored

Trueblue2296

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands, 2022 F250 Tremor 6.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That thing is ugly. May as well get a Bronco sport. That’s what it looks like. You do you though. I’m interested to see the 4 runner but based on the new tundra I’m not sure about that one. Glad my Bronco will be here within the month.

StyleGuy

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE, Jaguar F-Pace, GMC Denali XL
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I like it and the 4xe is interesting. A 25 mile electric range would take care of my daily driving easily. I really don't see it as a Bronco competitor though, more of a 4Runner/Explorer segment.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You do realize that will have pretty much ZERO aftermarket right?

OP
OP
Taco_Sexual

Taco_Sexual

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You do realize that will have pretty much ZERO aftermarket right?
Oh I'm aware. I'm just at the point where I need something that has moderate off-road capability and the hybrid engine is a real selling point for me.

Sponsored

balucipher

Big Bend
First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

the new Grand Cherokee L looks amazing inside. Really punching above its price point in terms of quality and features. I think the shorter length looks better and is the best one to get

The 4xe will be a great lease deal, just like the Wrangler counterpart.

PaBronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2022 F-150 Lightning Pro
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nothing wrong with GCs. I have owned five over the years. Mainly transportation vehicles as opposed to off road vehicles.
I like the new L since it is 18" longer than the older GC. GC's cargo space was always a little small for me.
Nice solid vehicles, just no wow factor IMO

webspoke

Badlands
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had 2 GC trailhawks, they were great vehicles, but biased on the street side of the equation - very good, refined, street and highway cruisers. The available disconnecting sway bars solves their biggest issue of lack or articulation the previous generation had. But they are limited in support for lifts, larger tires (33" was max in the old gen) etc. Also the suspension on them (air) was very soft and floaty, needed more shock damping at least, but no one made a replacement front shock for the air spring models. It was bad enough to make my dog car sick in the back seat - she has no issues with that in any of the firmer trucks we have.

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

dia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2F3ornkbEo4MuwPYcISY%2Fgiphy.gif

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Eh..... it seems okay.

4xe is probably the most interesting thing—it shows that Jeep thinks there is promise in the option now that they're extending it to other models. But as someone who tends to own vehicles for 10+ years... that makes 4xe slightly less interesting. 4xe is an amazing package if you lease though, and if it sells wells on both the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee, it'll likely push Ford to do something similar with the Bronco.

But in terms of buying a Jeep for my own... I just... bleh... haven't been really interested in anything that Jeep has done since the Cherokee XJ.

OP
OP
Taco_Sexual

Taco_Sexual

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Eh..... it seems okay.

4xe is probably the most interesting thing—it shows that Jeep thinks there is promise in the option now that they're extending it to other models. But as someone who tends to own vehicles for 10+ years... that makes 4xe slightly less interesting. 4xe is an amazing package if you lease though, and if it sells wells on both the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee, it'll likely push Ford to do something similar with the Bronco.

But in terms of buying a Jeep for my own... I just... bleh... haven't been really interested in anything that Jeep has done since the Cherokee XJ.
I agree for the most part. If Ford can implement a hybrid version of the Bronco by '23 I think that will put it over the top for me and others that are wanting to be a bit more gas/environment-conscious.
Sponsored