MorgansRun

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 330e
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bronco Mach-X which is essentially an electric Edge.
Sponsored

• Haha
Reactions: abe

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IIRC the 10spd auto has the ability or was designed to run a hybrid unit. I want to say internally they add a module or something so at least a hybrid model should be somewhat possible fairly soon (couple model years...not next gen). Full on electric might even be possible depending on how modular the mach e setup is.

Low Hammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

IIRC the 10spd auto has the ability or was designed to run a hybrid unit. I want to say internally they add a module or something so at least a hybrid model should be somewhat possible fairly soon (couple model years...not next gen). Full on electric might even be possible depending on how modular the mach e setup is.
I think the 4xe does that. It swaps the torque converter for an electric motor/generator that engages disengages with a clutch

I've also found a video showing the hybrid f150 powertrain. Seems like a similar implementation, but hard to tell from this video.

TBH I am concerned about the long term reliability of these hybrid transmission designs; especially for when people are throwing that much power through them.

Sponsored

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the 4xe does that. It swaps the torque converter for an electric motor/generator that engages disengages with a clutch

I've also found a video showing the hybrid f150 powertrain. Seems like a similar implementation, but hard to tell from this video.

TBH I am concerned about the long term reliability of these hybrid transmission designs; especially for when people are throwing that much power through them.
The 10spd Ford has was a joint venture with GM but Ford apparently uses better material on some of the internal parts and has had fewer issues than GM. The 10sp has been used with some higher HP and TRQ setups...probably the best available auto trans.

Low Hammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The 10spd Ford has was a joint venture with GM but Ford apparently uses better material on some of the internal parts and has had fewer issues than GM. The 10sp has been used with some higher HP and TRQ setups...probably the best available auto trans.
I did some research into the 10 speed as well since complexity makes me nervous about long term reliability. It was a joint venture and GM seems to be phasing it out while Ford is shoving it in more and more vehicles. The common concerns seem to be that bad software can lead to it misbehaving, and that it needs regular transmission fluid changes(30k miles iirc) to maintain it's reliability because for whatever reason the electronics cannot handle the contamination. Seems like a lot of times issues with the transmission are solved just by replacing the electronics(which are bolted into the side of the unit and sealed within it. Thankfully the labor on replacing that part isn't that bad, but I presume the part cost is awful.

I do remember watching one video of a transmission shop doing a rebuild on the ford 10 speed. Their impression was that the unit they were rebuilding held up pretty well, but that the stock clutch packs probably can't handle 750+hp which was why that particular unit was being rebuilt(someone was drag racing with it).

Oh and if this is right the hybrid 10 speed is a motor bolted between the torque converter and the rest of the transmission adding an extra 6.3 inches in length. https://greencarjournal.com/dont-miss/modular-hybrid-transmission-adds-efficiency/

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The " learning" side of things i take with a grain of salt as most people have issues with basic driving skill in perfect conditions and that skill falls off a cliff with the slightest change...add to that everyone has their perceived what it should feel like. Wonder if that gets tossed as the move to self driving comes in.

BPMANAZ

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hopefully, Rear seat air conditioner vents that don't look like a submarine periscope popping up from the front seat floorboards that have uncovered openings making them little more than dirt and cheeto catchers.

"Do you hear that "Rock Star" vehicle designers"? Yes, no? Am I talking to myself?

Sponsored

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Like this?

20210422_120307.jpg

Squatch This

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee 4Dr V6
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hybrids and/or all electric Broncos are pretty much a given and there are certainly capability improvements that can be made to the 6G. That said, I just hope Ford doesn't lose their way and wind up killing the golden goose with too much tinkering, especially where overall design aesthetics are concerned. It's easy for things to go south if you're not careful.

Last edited:

Squatch This

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee 4Dr V6
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hopefully, Rear seat air conditioner vents that don't look like a submarine periscope popping up from the front seat floorboards that have uncovered openings making them little more than dirt and cheeto catchers.

"Do you hear that "Rock Star" vehicle designers"? Yes, no? Am I talking to myself?
Amen!
Sponsored