Sponsored

Jecht

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm a fresh user for this post specifically. Former Navy. So my thought, for those not enjoying the idea of plugging up to shore power, just set up the diesel?

See the following: (Generator + Tesla)

Having the MIC hard top could be an easy way to install a generator exhaust.

All the nice 100% torque as well as combustion convenience. :D
Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Production of increasingly efficient internal combustion engines makes all the sense in the world.
Some things to point out:

ICE is inherently inefficient-they waste about 40-60% of their potential output vs 20% for an electric motor. Yes BEVs power source isn't as energy dense as gas either, which helps explain the difference in range with the two.

ICE is more or less at a plateau for increasing efficiency...I'll use the Prius as an example...there is a 10 MPG improvement (42 vs 52 MPG combined) between the 2002 and 2022MY, but the fuel savings over the course of the year is only $250, or less then most peoples weekly Starbucks budget over the year. It also shows how terrible using MPG is for an efficiency measurement. Once you hit the 25MPG mark, your savings just keeps getting lower and lower vs when it jumped from 15 to 25

See more here:
http://www.mpgillusion.com/p/what-is-mpg-illusion.html

Even if your using less fuel, your still producing CO2. Switching to BEVs would "neckdown" the pollution sources to powerplants (far more easily regulated then millions of little ICE on the road) and in some cases they would be "zero CO2" if your using Nuke or Hydraulic power

just some info to chew on.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Mustang Mach-E Coupe coming. I’m looking forward to seeing that.
I don't think it will be a two door...just 4 door with a different style roof line.

The BEV Mustang Coupe comes in 2029

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some things to point out:

ICE is inherently inefficient-they waste about 40-60% of their potential output vs 20% for an electric motor. Yes BEVs power source isn't as energy dense as gas either, which helps explain the difference in range with the two.

ICE is more or less at a plateau for increasing efficiency...I'll use the Prius as an example...there is a 10 MPG improvement (42 vs 52 MPG combined) between the 2002 and 2022MY, but the fuel savings over the course of the year is only $250, or less then most peoples weekly Starbucks budget over the year. It also shows how terrible using MPG is for an efficiency measurement. Once you hit the 25MPG mark, your savings just keeps getting lower and lower vs when it jumped from 15 to 25

See more here:
http://www.mpgillusion.com/p/what-is-mpg-illusion.html

Even if your using less fuel, your still producing CO2. Switching to BEVs would "neckdown" the pollution sources to powerplants (far more easily regulated then millions of little ICE on the road) and in some cases they would be "zero CO2" if your using Nuke or Hydraulic power

just some info to chew on.
I agree with you with most of these points yet I have not found any evidence that ICE is at a plateau for efficiency. Only the statement that it is.

Until BEV becomes more economical, I feel that most citizens will not be able to afford it. Then we have issues of charging especially for those that live in large apartment buildings.

All things that can be worked out with lots of money on top of BEV costs.

Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I agree with you with most of these points yet I have not found any evidence that ICE is at a plateau for efficiency. Only the statement that it is.
I gave some examples-making an automobile get 50MPG over one that gets 40 MPG is a net savings of roughly 200-250 bucks a year in gas if you drive 15K miles a year..tell me is that really worth it?

If there was more to ICE, why wouldn't manufactures be pursing it? hydrogen is useless in the vast majority of use cases...see more here

https://theconversation.com/hydroge...theyre-hampered-by-the-laws-of-science-139899

I agree about the costs of BEVs, but prices should drop once there is more manufacturing capacity and different materials and types of batteries hit the market in the near future.

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The manufacturers that want to stay in business do not have plans to abandon ICE. So there are manufacturers pursuing it. Toyota being one of those manufacturers. Ford as well with their large ICE line (non-diesel) for trucks.

TopRecon

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
If there was more to ICE, why wouldn't manufactures be pursing it?
Because regulators have made it clear that they want ICE's gone and even if manufacturers doubled the efficiency of ICE's, they'd just be kicking the can down the road because the endgame of solely EV's powered entirely by renewable energy is still cleaner than a fleet of hyper-efficient ICE vehicles even if that'll take generations to happen.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The manufacturers that want to stay in business do not have plans to abandon ICE. So there are manufacturers pursuing it. Toyota being one of those manufacturers. Ford as well with their large ICE line (non-diesel) for trucks.
Toyota has completely stepped on their own dicks with their BEV rollout and are scrambling to get it sorted.

Any new investment in ICE getting cut back now-remember the Auto industry is a long lead time before it hits the lots-it took over 4 years for the Bronco to launch from when it was announced in 2017, and was in development prior to that.

Ford can use its ICE it currently has till 2035 or so, but China and the EU are looking at outright bans in 2030 and 2035, along with a couple other states in the US.

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are cost saving to be had with something like a Nissan Leaf if you have somewhere to charge it every night for sure. You are just limited in your freedom if it is your only vehicle for sure. Only money will resolve that in the short term.

Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Because regulators have made it clear that they want ICE's gone and even if manufacturers doubled the efficiency of ICE's, they'd just be kicking the can down the road because the endgame of solely EV's powered entirely by renewable energy is still cleaner than a fleet of hyper-efficient ICE vehicles even if that'll take generations to happen.
Thanks for proving my point-they need to meet CAFE in the US and there will be outright bans of ICE in the EU and China in the next 13 years or so.

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You mean politicians that mean to keep the citizens under control.

TopRecon

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
You mean politicians that mean to keep the citizens under control.
I wouldn't chalk it up to a conspiracy of government control or anything like that, but the regulators look like idiots because they implemented unfeasible CAFE requirements that said "You have to get at least 50mpg out of everything you make, not including trucks." and the Big Three decided not to play ball and only make trucks. Now with egg on their face, they're doubling down because they consider the Big Three hostile entities for not playing ball like they wanted.

TopRecon

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wouldn't be surprised if, in a repetition of history, Ford switches to making the large Bronco only, citing lower demand for 2-Doors in order to switch to a singular, larger 4-Door platform, which would give a better footprint for battery storage for the inevitable EV. Best case scenario, they do it like this with hidden rear doors so it still looks the part.

7d72280cbaffc13e43a0ae28a4f85c8f.jpg

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

People can talk about what ever ICE/BEV points they want but until we can recharge BEVs in 10 minutes or less to full charge and tow just like ICE engines, mass change over or bans are not going to happen. It is just fact. We are a "got to have it now" country and that's not changing any time soon.

As a side note people that think China cares and will follow through are funny. Like really funny.
Sponsored