Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They need to patent a small Overland Trailer with an auxiliary battery pack extender. I'm already spooked by off camber situations in my 2 door as it is!

7sKnuckledragger

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 1978 K5, 2007.5 Ram 2500, 2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
You dig up 500,000 pounds of the earth's crust for just one EV battery. Hybrid and EV will one day be looked at as one of the most awful things we have done to this planet, but hey if we can get the opportunity to virtue signal environmentalism it's worth it 👌😊
I'm sure the "Artisanal Miners' in the Congo digging up our cobalt appreciate it. 🤦‍♂️

**Disclosure I know fossil fuels aren't the best either.

SasBLSven

Badlands
First Name
Steen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I want a diesel/EV hybrid Bronco

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm looking around for the gas powered vehicle power plants that are 20 lbs, cost under a grand and go 400 miles. Do you have a link to one maybe?
The draw back to EV's (currently, hopefully it changes with technology); do not hold a charge long enough, battery is too heavy (if that weight was reduced think of the range the vehicle would get), battery replacement cost is very high, fire suppression issues. My neighbor after a 3 year wait got a Rivian truck. He sold it after three months. It would not hold a charge for a 150 mile round trip. It also cost him $1K for an electrician to wire his home up for it. IMO, the tech is just not there yet. For an off-road vehicle....are we going to have charging stations in the mountains and desert?

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

are we going to have charging stations in the mountains and desert?
No, of course not.

But to use the argument of "It's not ridiculously cheap and yet better in every measurable way, thus we should just give up and never use it" is disingenuous. That's like saying "Oh, I wanted a new fridge, but what was out there had the same features, didn't make ice out of thin air, and didn't cost 90% less than my current fridge, so new fridges just aren't worth it."

Tabman10

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Keep in mind that sometimes companies patent ideas that don't make it to production just to keep others from being able to use the idea (at least without paying for it). A nice heavy battery up top would do wonders for the vehicle dynamics - especially with nice soft off-road suspension...

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
First I did not read all 4 pages so maybe someone has mentioned this but………..

This seems a bit odd to me. Ford is going to mount a battery to the roof to extend the range. This coming from the same company who did not allow a rack for the top of a Sasquatch model because of it would exceed the rating of the Bronc. I
Ford isn't going to "DO" anything. They are trying to patent the idea of a roof mounted battery extender for electric vehicles.

They are simply using a render of a Bronco as an example. The example also uses the CCS1 connector which Ford plans to stop using next year. The drawings in patent applications are not meant to be taken as actual designs. They are there to explain what the patent is supposed to cover.

TurkeyRun

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, '02 F-350, 21 Expy, 4 Harleys and a BMW GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So... wait a minute... I remember ordering my '21 Badlands. There was NO roof rack option. Something about being to heavy on top.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Administrator, attached is the full 6-page document, which adds the following information:
  • Additional Figures
  • Technical Field
  • Background
  • Summary
  • Brief Description of the Figures
  • Detailed Description
Please add this to the opening post for additional information.

Attachments

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think it is an interesting idea. Surprisingly nobody thought to patent it sooner. A "juice pack" for vehicles has some very intriguing possibilities. Could you imagine swapping the battery pack out like you were going to a blue rhino gas exchange? Lets say you don't use it daily, but rent one only when you need to go on a road trip. The aftermarket for different batter options would be cool as well. Run out of juice and a smaller sized one of these could be your gas can to get you down the road and to the next exit.

OrangecrushBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Lol. Watch out for the garage clearances,branches and overpasses. No top storage. Good luck with lifting these. Top heavy Tip hazard? No removable top. When they leak look out below! The hybrid is likely an inevitability but this is a NO for me and hopefully EV/hybrid won't be the only option. Seems more viable for the Sport

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It used to take a mob to flip a car now all it takes is a four year old and a slight breeze.
Sponsored