Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX; Tesla M3; BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Apologies up front for a) this maybe belonging in the Tires etc. Forum and b) this question has already been answered; I tried to search to no luck.

Short backstory: The OBX (LUX/MIC) I originally ordered over two years ago was build and has arrived at the dealer. Given all that was going on in February with possible issues with our preferences being built with the features we wanted, we pulled the trigger on a used (5K miles) 2022 OBX with SAS (LUX and MIC) as well. We are very happy with it and in fact, I like the SAS a lot; we took it to the Hot Springs AR off road park a few weeks ago. If the ordered vehicle had SAS (which was not on our order, so not the dealer or Ford's fault), I would trade in the used vehicle for the new as it is a 2023 with 50ish miles, in the color we wanted (Race Red).

We told the dealer thanks, but we would pass on the 2023 (ordered) as we now really like the SAS. The rep said, what if we could add the suspension and tires (no front locker; but ordered vehicle has rear locker and 4A already, as ordered)?. We have a bit of price protection so that would offset the cost. So a maybe at this point

Has anyone done an SAS add on to their stock vehicle and what did that run you? Of course there are a vast number of aftermarket solutions, but just focusing on the OEM SAS for now.

Just weighing our options. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
What diff gearing is on your ordered Bronco? If installing larger tires via the dealer suggested approach, you might miss the lower diff gearing of Sas with the larger tires. Otherwise unless you are real hard core off-road, or the Bronco front suspension travel is crummy, you should not miss the front locker much if at all.

OP
OP
twryan3

twryan3

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thank you. Going in reverse, the front locker is great to have but I agree that I am unlikely to use much; used it once during our recent adventure to make up for driver inexperience.

The ordered model has the 4.27 rear with locking rear diff

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ok that's nice your ordered vehicle has the 4.27 rather than the 3.65 diff gears. So it would not be as far from the Sas 4.7. The auto trans has 10 gears to play with. Maybe it would be fine with 35s, others with auto experience can comment.

Fyi, I have a base manual 2-door (4.46 diff gears) and got a deal on Sas 35" take-off tires and some 17" +42 offset Ranger wheels. It's been fine on pavement without a lift in terms of clearance and power (2.3L engine). For off-road I'll install a mild 1" spacer lift/leveler, and fab some skid plates.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Besides missing the gearing, locker and suspension you'd lose the beefier front axle, then you'd after to address the wheel off-set, and the narrower fender flares, plus the 3rd brake light.... and you'd be missing the rear sway-bar on the 4-door (?).

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
twryan3

twryan3

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Besides missing the gearing, locker and suspension you'd lose the beefier front axle, then you'd after to address the wheel off-set, and the narrower fender flares, plus the 3rd brake light.... and you'd be missing the rear sway-bar on the 4-door (?).
Hmm, thanks. I was not aware of there being a difference in the rear sway bar, but I will freely admit my ignorance there. I did forget to add about the fender flares but I guess I really didn't realize that the 3rd brake light/tire carrier was different.

Going to see what the dealer says, if anything, but in advance wanted to see if anyone had experience and ballpark costs. Again, I appreciate the comments.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hmm, thanks. I was not aware of there being a difference in the rear sway bar, but I will freely admit my ignorance there. I did forget to add about the fender flares but I guess I really didn't realize that the 3rd brake light/tire carrier was different.

Going to see what the dealer says, if anything, but in advance wanted to see if anyone had experience and ballpark costs. Again, I appreciate the comments.
The sway-bar was added to all Sas 4-door Broncos for MY22. Regarding your fender flares, I believe yours, being non-sas will come with body matching paint, and all Sas flares will be black.

Rip

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have both a First Edition and an OuterBanks that I added the Sasquatch (Hoss 3.0 Fox shocks). I have 35 x 12.5 x 18 Nittos and the 3rd break light difference is no issue.

Last edited:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
If having a real use for the Sas functionality, I'd recommend pony up and buy Sas. It's not worth the time and expense of trying to emulate, unless the driver has a particular use case for a build. On the other hand, missing something the driver has no real use for, isn't missing much. So I'd avoid getting caught up in the 6G arms race.

Wtb13000

Wildtrak
First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

[QUOTE="twryan3, post: 2010912, member: 32810"

[/QUOTE]

I'd be curious what you get back from your dealer. I had the same high level conversation with my dealer after they said they could do the same, "build me a SAS" after the fact.

My order just started production this week so I haven't heard the sales pitch yet, but expecting dealer inflated prices for semi-optimal results...they can't really replicate the SAS post build without extreme expense.

OP
OP
twryan3

twryan3

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

[QUOTE="twryan3, post: 2010912, member: 32810"

I'd be curious what you get back from your dealer. I had the same high level conversation with my dealer after they said they could do the same, "build me a SAS" after the fact.

My order just started production this week so I haven't heard the sales pitch yet, but expecting dealer inflated prices for semi-optimal results...they can't really replicate the SAS post build without extreme expense.
[/QUOTE]
As of right now, nothing yet, but I will be sure to report back.
Sponsored