First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi everyone, I've read and researched as many threads as possible...still not really finding exactly what I need so I'll ask here:

I have a '23 2-door Bronco 2.7 OBX non-SAS. I installed Badlands wheels and originally went with Continental e-load tires, which looked great but were about as stiff as a young man's prick on prom night. Even airing down didn't help too much, and they were heavy. I switched to Yokohoma Geolander P-rated tires, about the same tread pattern but much lighter, and they ride much softer as well.

So...tires are covered - but I still find the factory Hitachi suspension is quite stiff and I feel every road bump and imperfection. I'm not looking for Lincoln town-car ride. I get that's not possible in a body on frame truck like we have. But, a softer ride than stock would be nice when 99% of my driving is on road.

Really the only advice I've seen that MIGHT work, is Bilstein 5100 shocks to replace the factory Hitachi. Any comments on that?

Also, what I haven't seen is if there are different, lower rate springs available that might make it a softer ride. I.E., just keep the standard Hitachi shocks and use lower rate springs. Any comments on that - if it's even a possibility?

Goal is softer, more comfy on-road with as close to standard ride height as possible.

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored

OP
OP
bcb1

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Get some Sasquatch take-offs. They ride a lot softer than the Hitachis and typically can be had for around $500/set
You know, at the Off-Roadeo in New Hampshire, we were in a Wildtrak 2-door and it felt softer than my 2-door OBX. I wasn't sure if that was my imagination, or the fact the tires were aired down for off-roading. But since it had the SAS suspension, that might have been it!

Appreciate the advice.

Broncobro04

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would skip the Bilstein 5100s and go with the eibach coilovers. They’re much softer valved. They’re great for the slow speed offroading because they soak up the ruts and roots (or if you’re on the street, potholes and speedbumps/manhole covers, etc), but they tend to suffer in the high speed stuff due to the softer valving. Everyone I’ve talked to said the ride was 100% better on the road than the Sasquatch shocks as well. Sounds like those might be a good fit for you

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You know, at the Off-Roadeo in New Hampshire, we were in a Wildtrak 2-door and it felt softer than my 2-door OBX. I wasn't sure if that was my imagination, or the fact the tires were aired down for off-roading. But since it had the SAS suspension, that might have been it!

Appreciate the advice.
Yep those Bilseins are definitely softer. if you got Sasquatch takeoffs it would add about 1.8” of lift. If you found Badlands non-Sas takeoffs, it’s more or less same as Sas but would only add around 1.1” of lift

Sponsored

Caleb@PandaMotorworks

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hi everyone, I've read and researched as many threads as possible...still not really finding exactly what I need so I'll ask here:

I have a '23 2-door Bronco 2.7 OBX non-SAS. I installed Badlands wheels and originally went with Continental e-load tires, which looked great but were about as stiff as a young man's prick on prom night. Even airing down didn't help too much, and they were heavy. I switched to Yokohoma Geolander P-rated tires, about the same tread pattern but much lighter, and they ride much softer as well.

So...tires are covered - but I still find the factory Hitachi suspension is quite stiff and I feel every road bump and imperfection. I'm not looking for Lincoln town-car ride. I get that's not possible in a body on frame truck like we have. But, a softer ride than stock would be nice when 99% of my driving is on road.

Really the only advice I've seen that MIGHT work, is Bilstein 5100 shocks to replace the factory Hitachi. Any comments on that?

Also, what I haven't seen is if there are different, lower rate springs available that might make it a softer ride. I.E., just keep the standard Hitachi shocks and use lower rate springs. Any comments on that - if it's even a possibility?

Goal is softer, more comfy on-road with as close to standard ride height as possible.

Thanks for any advice!
I would recommend going with Eibach Coilovers. They have a progressive spring rate which provides a very nice soft ride, especially when going over bumps and rough surfaces.

They are perfect for daily driving, and more than capable for mild off-roading as well. Fully height adjustable, so you can really dial in your Bronco's height how you want it.

Id be happy to answer any questions you may have! I also have these available for an excellent price right now with free shipping would be glad to hook you up!

OP
OP
bcb1

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would recommend going with Eibach Coilovers. They have a progressive spring rate which provides a very nice soft ride, especially when going over bumps and rough surfaces.

They are perfect for daily driving, and more than capable for mild off-roading as well. Fully height adjustable, so you can really dial in your Bronco's height how you want it.

Id be happy to answer any questions you may have! I also have these available for an excellent price right now with free shipping would be glad to hook you up!
Thanks! I actually want as close to the factory ride height as possible (no lift). What is the absolute minimum I could get with the Eibach coilover?

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the official upgrade for your scenario, although it is also a lift:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-18000-B1A

It does come with a warranty when installed by Ford dealer service or ASE Red tech. Otherwise, I would suggest contacting Eibach and see what they say. The Hitachis aren't a great shock from what I understand, so it seems to me you'll be doing a full coilover, but maybe they've got a softer spring.

Also, the WT w/HOSS 3.0 has the Fox 2.5 shocks. If you rode in one of those, that's why they were so soft. Those are nice shocks. Otherwise, it had the same Bilsteins that the BL has (HOSS 2.0). Which is a good shock (I have it) but not that great.

Caleb@PandaMotorworks

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks! I actually want as close to the factory ride height as possible (no lift). What is the absolute minimum I could get with the Eibach coilover?
Gotcha, yeah makes sense now why you would just want to swap struts if you want to keep factory ride height.

Minimum would be about 1.5"-2"

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I wasn't sure if that was my imagination, or the fact the tires were aired down for off-roading.
Ok this is a good point right here. I just aired down my tires from 35 to 32 and it made a huge difference, without changing anything on the suspension and it didn't have any appreciable effect on MPG. That's free to try - I'd give it a whirl first.

Sponsored
OP
OP
bcb1

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yep those Bilseins are definitely softer. if you got Sasquatch takeoffs it would add about 1.8” of lift. If you found Badlands non-Sas takeoffs, it’s more or less same as Sas but would only add around 1.1” of lift
The Badlands non-SAS sounds pretty good to me. Would I just need the Bilstein shocks from the Badlands with my current springs? Or would I need the shocks/springs combo?

And, I'd definitely need to stay with a 2-door Badlands shocks right? I'm thinking there might be a lot more take-off Badlands 4 door suspension parts out there, than 2-door.

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Badlands non-SAS sounds pretty good to me. Would I just need the Bilstein shocks from the Badlands with my current springs? Or would I need the shocks/springs combo?

And, I'd definitely need to stay with a 2-door Badlands shocks right? I'm thinking there might be a lot more take-off Badlands 4 door suspension parts out there, than 2-door.
1. you need both, but almost all takeoffs I’ve seen are fully intact already.
2. I’ve seen plenty of folks comment that 4 door takeoffs worked great on their 2 door, although I personally have no first hand experience. It’s worth a shot as you are right in that your odds of finding 4 door takeoffs are much greater.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Are you including the lift plus tire size difference? Because I believe the Badlands shocks add .6" of lift and Sas is 1.1"

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Are you including the lift plus tire size difference? Because I believe the Badlands shocks add .6" of lift and Sas is 1.1"
I’m just going from memory, but the 1.1 being on top of the badlands, not in lieu of it, but I could be off base

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base