Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Good point, perception definitely plays a part in it.

I suppose half of my problem is that I'm sitting in B6G with the most hardcore of hardcore Bronco fans. My guess is that the majority of people who see these aren't going to have any idea about the difference between the various trim levels, and only crazy obsessive people like myself (and all of you fine folks on this forum) are only going to be walking around knowing the specific differences between them.
What is going to be problematic for the general buyer is seeing some our debadged Broncos. With out the trim indicated on a sticker, they won't be able to tell the difference.
Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is going to be problematic for the general buyer is seeing some our debadged Broncos. With out the trim indicated on a sticker, they won't be able to tell the difference.
I hate to tell you but the general buyer could care less about the trim. And in the end the trim package won't mean anything on the used market or dealer inventory as it'll only be about what options are on any given vehicle.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You donā€™t get the badlands because you rock crawl... itā€™s more a matter what you may do and not wanna have to call your J**p buddy to the rescue. šŸ˜‰

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm conflicted between the OBX and the BL. I really like the wash out interior aspect and ultimately the cooler look (imo) of the stance of the badlands, but on the OBX side I probably like the roast interior better and much as it seems that it might be sacrilege around here, I actually like the color matched pieces (mirrors, door handles, and yes even fender flares) (oh yeah and the fact that it's cheaper, but I suppose you only live once). I'm waiting for 22 to (hopefully) get a color matched mod top either way, so that may be a non-issue. I guess my questions at the end of the day are
1. If I decide to ultimately go BL what's the likelihood of being able to swap out the MIC parts (mirrors, handles, fender flares)?
2. If it's even possible how ungodly expensive would it likely be?
3. Would swapping the fender flares even wind up being legal assuming that the 33's would probably wind up sticking out from the flares that were meant to go with the OBX 32's?

Thanks to all for any assistance,
Sean
Went through the same thing. Ultimately decided on BL knowing it's capability-overkill for what we will do. :) But it came down to likes and dislikes of some other bits between the two.

I will add that the wheels/tires on OB don't look at all like car tires they way they seem in the B&P photos. They definitely look like truck tires in person. They don't seem under-sized at 32, either. If OB had 17" wheels, that would have made the decision tougher. Or if it could have been purchased without the running boards (I'm just not a fan of that style).

If you go BL and want to swap out the flares, you will probably not have much trouble finding someone with OB flares who would be willing to exchange them. The door handles and mirror caps are a trickier, more time-consuming replacement. For some people, that might not be a problem, but I don't think I'd want to spend that much time dismantling and would go OB if I really wanted those painted parts. Personally, I'm hoping my wife will grow to accept the parts of BL she thinks she doesn't like so I don't have to do any swapping/mods. šŸ˜„

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
in my experience anything is possible in terms of painting or swapping parts but it will get easier as time goes by and the aftermarket starts making solutions for these things. however, i wouldn't decide between these two models based on fender flares- they're pretty different models in terms of what they're designed for

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not really. Outer banks is the first vehicle to allow the addition of all the packages so itā€™s the cheapest ā€œentryā€ when it comes to the fully loaded Broncos and it comes standard with the mid package. Itā€™s direct comparison is a fully loaded Wildtrak but the Badlands is in the middle and offers all of that plus the very neutral and nice looking MGV. Many have struggled with this comparison, me and my wife included. We bought a Badlands that we donā€™t fully need because the Outer Banks had options or colors that we didnā€™t like at all.
The only difference between the Outer Banks and Wildtrack if you were to load both up the same is the interior color choices and certain bits and pieces that are painted body color on one version and not on the other.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The only difference between the Outer Banks and Wildtrack if you were to load both up the same is the interior color choices and certain bits and pieces that are painted body color on one version and not on the other.
Yes, Iā€™m aware. Thatā€™s why I said the WildTrak is the Outer banks comparison.

Lashedup

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To me, these are the two vehicles that are the least like each other of any in the Bronco lineup.
I think the hard part is if you want the Lux package you have only three trim levels to get it. Also, I don't have any real need for the Sasquatch package. So that leaves OBX and BL as choices.

I go back and forth on the painted fenders, but figure I can easily change them to the black ones later. Likewise I like the honeycomb matte grill on the Badlands. Wheels and tires are less aggressive on the OBX and I prefer the look of the Badlands version with the 17" wheels and 33" tires. I also like the Marine Grade interior option on the Badlands but prefer the look of the OBX cloth with ribs. I just don't want to have to clean grunge out of the cloth and a vinyl/leather would be easier to clean up. So I guess most of this comes down to packaging like usual.

But to option the Badlands up to the same level as a loaded OBX means paying nearly $5k more. I'd be getting full lockers, sway bar disconnect, some bash plates and other pieces the OBX doesn't have as well, so I get why it is more expensive.

So trim levels, colors and patience are my worst issues at the moment - so I'm doing just fine. :)

Will just hang here with the rest of you waiting for more photos, video and first owner reports when they come in.

- J

poconochris

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I too like the roast interior, and was originally getting a Rapid red OBX. I looked at a lot full of F150's and fell in love the Velocity Blue. I changed my order to the blue. Now all the blue stitching and blue doodads in the roast interior look custom to match the exterior.
I too am going to wait for the after market to change the wheels and tires. That's the only thing I don't like about the OBX. And whether the tube step stays or not will depend on how easily I can get in/out with my bad knees.

OP
OP
stm378

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I too like the roast interior, and was originally getting a Rapid red OBX. I looked at a lot full of F150's and fell in love the Velocity Blue. I changed my order to the blue. Now all the blue stitching and blue doodads in the roast interior look custom to match the exterior.
I too am going to wait for the after market to change the wheels and tires. That's the only thing I don't like about the OBX. And whether the tube step stays or not will depend on how easily I can get in/out with my bad knees.
That's an interesting point on the blue accents going with VB, those blue accents were one of my cons on OBX (especially that grab handle) but with VB, it probably looks like it really belongs there.

Sponsored

internationlriders

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Badlands all the way for me! The only way it can remotely keep up with my Jeep flex is with that sway bar disconnect and I'm digging the MIC parts since I won't care as much when they get all scratched up. For me I try to hit the trails at least every second week winter, rain, or summer so the washout floor and vinyl seats along with two dogs will be so welcome compared to my current carpeted flooring. Trying to get pet hair out of that is a pain! That being said I can see that if you aren't getting dirty regularly or doing crazy off camber trails there's no need for the Badlands at all and the OBX will be crazy capable still. My Jeep with no lockers and 31's has been through some wild trails but the OBX should be able from the factory to do way more. The Badlands will completely wipe the trail with my Jeeps ability.

TimmH

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'll be going OBX most likely, I'd prefer non-painted flares, but figure those can be changed later.

I want the Lux Package because 99% of my driving will be back and forth to work and weekend errands.

I would prefer MGV interior, but the Roast w/Black Onyx leather is nice as well. Maybe this option will change by 22.

and because rock crawling in south Florida consists of driving down a gravel road, so I don't need a crawler capable vehicle. :p

OP
OP
stm378

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think what I'm learning here overall is that if I do go BL, I'll probably be able to find someone on here that's going to be willing to swap flares with me (though I may have to chip in some extra in that deal).

OP
OP
stm378

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, one thing that I was thinking of, I think Iā€™ve probably seen (give or take) a million pictures of various Broncos, but I canā€™t recall seeing one type. Has anyone on here seen a photo of a (non-sas) OBX next to a (non-sas) BL? Of all of the various events I canā€™t recall that being one of the combos.

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So, one thing that I was thinking of, I think Iā€™ve probably seen (give or take) a million pictures of various Broncos, but I canā€™t recall seeing one type. Has anyone on here seen a photo of a (non-sas) OBX next to a (non-sas) BL? Of all of the various events I canā€™t recall that being one of the combos.
I haven't, but this thread SPOTTED: 2-door Bronco Outerbanks tester in Denver, next to F-150 has a lot of photos of a non-Sas 2-door OBX, including this one:

Ford Bronco OBX vs BL conflicted 1621171365868

And here's a non-Sas Badlands that was at a dealership the other day:

Ford Bronco OBX vs BL conflicted 1621171413079
Sponsored