First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looking at the two trims, priced out within a thousand dollars or so, both to include Lux, 2.7. OBX would add leather at 2 large, plus the Advanced 4x4, while I would forgo leather with the BL. Absolutely do not need 95% of the BL off-roading prowess, but I must have 33” setup to sleep well. Option 1, go big with the BL and don’t look back or Option 2, lift the OBX with the 2” lift that is supposedly coming out from Ford and add the BL wheel/tire setup shortly after purchase.

The deciding factor for me is trade in value 2-3 years from now, as I’m assuming I’ll fall in love with the Warthog and spring for that. Do you suspect that the BL will hold its value better over the OBX, as its more enthusiast focused, which is this platforms bread and butter?

Of course adding the wheels and tires to the OBX upfront offsets a great deal of the savings. Just trying to do a mental confirmation before ordering next month. Cheers!
Sponsored

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think you'd need a crystal ball to look a couple of years out to get any idea of value. It could come down to which one gets more orders. If they sell 3 x more Badlands and every dealer has 5 on their lot, Outer Banks could have a higher value. Some people see Outer Banks more as a mall crawler rather than a real off road version and that could keep it's value lower. I think the only one's that will have any real difference are the FE's just because of the limited numbers.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Money could be tight in the future so a Squatched Base will probably depreciate less .

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you go by Jeep, the best resale value is the 4dr Sport from my understanding. Initial price is lower then the higher trimmed models and the depreciation follows a similar % rate, so they slightly edge out the other trims. Often times the more hardcore equipped vehicles are considered “higher risk” of abuse and used Jeep buys are often looking for a basic model to modify. I do think the 2.7 will do a little better than the 2.3 on the used market. Smaller 4cyl. turbo motors still make some people hesitant. That would likely make the Big Bend the best resale, if that trend holds with Bronco.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Money could be tight in the future so a Squatched Base will probably depreciate less .
Agree. People will look at the SASQUATCH, not the interior. The Sasquatch base with the automatic will likely have the best resale value (as a percentage of the purchase price).

Overall, I think the base with nothing on it will have the overall best resale value. I think even after 4-5 years, you can likely only lose about $10K of value on that.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BucWld

BucWld

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think you'd need a crystal ball to look a couple of years out to get any idea of value. It could come down to which one gets more orders. If they sell 3 x more Badlands and every dealer has 5 on their lot, Outer Banks could have a higher value. Some people see Outer Banks more as a mall crawler rather than a real off road version and that could keep it's value lower. I think the only one's that will have any real difference are the FE's just because of the limited numbers.
I believe all Broncos will hold their value very well, regardless of trim, similarl to the Wrangler. I agree with you on the FE models. Limited trims tend to do pretty good.

OP
OP
BucWld

BucWld

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you go by Jeep, the best resale value is the 4dr Sport from my understanding. Initial price is lower then the higher trimmed models and the depreciation follows a similar % rate, so they slightly edge out the other trims. Often times the more hardcore equipped vehicles are considered “higher risk” of abuse and used Jeep buys are often looking for a basic model to modify. I do think the 2.7 will do a little better than the 2.3 on the used market. Smaller 4cyl. turbo motors still make some people hesitant. That would likely make the Big Bend the best resale, if that trend holds with Bronco.
Interesting about the Sport. Generally speaking, enthusiast vehicles tend to hold their value well, i.e. Wrangler, Raptor...fun stuff. Interesting point about the abuse a Rubicon may be subject to and it’s long term value. That certainly isn’t the case with Raptors though!

TomH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking at the two trims, priced out within a thousand dollars or so, both to include Lux, 2.7. OBX would add leather at 2 large, plus the Advanced 4x4, while I would forgo leather with the BL. Absolutely do not need 95% of the BL off-roading prowess, but I must have 33” setup to sleep well. Option 1, go big with the BL and don’t look back or Option 2, lift the OBX with the 2” lift that is supposedly coming out from Ford and add the BL wheel/tire setup shortly after purchase.

The deciding factor for me is trade in value 2-3 years from now, as I’m assuming I’ll fall in love with the Warthog and spring for that. Do you suspect that the BL will hold its value better over the OBX, as its more enthusiast focused, which is this platforms bread and butter?

Of course adding the wheels and tires to the OBX upfront offsets a great deal of the savings. Just trying to do a mental confirmation before ordering next month. Cheers!
Half the people who will buying in the used market wont know the difference between the
models, just like (most) the people buying the Jeeps don't know the difference in what they're buying. Just look at who drives some of these vehicles...clueless. Most people are mall crawlers and just want it to look good.

Buy your car: don't spend $40-$60k on a car that you think someone else would like in 2/3 years.

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would never make a choice based upon trade in value. Get what you want and love. Life is to short to spend 50 grand in hopes that you might make a 1000 or 2 in a few years.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

None of it will hold a huge value, it's a older vehicle. In the end it will be % of sticker anyways. There will people that only want SAS, Manu, non-SAS, Lux, etc. I'd argue that OBX Lux may be in higher demand long term for the average person, not the 6g crowd. Plus 5y down the road factory SUS warranty doesn't matter.

Once production ramps up they will be everywhere and available. Everything everyone is sweating about won't matter. There will also be better packages, improvements, and colorway changes. This isn't your 70s, non-chip vehicle that is steel and a collectors item.

Just get what you want and beat the shit out of it.

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I went through the same process, deciding between OB and BL. Almost exactly. As in, I chose Lux, decided I would get leather on OB but marine grade vinyl (MGV) on BL. Also would get Advanced 4X4 for OB.

Quick answer for you: I think the resale value will be about the same, percentage-wise. There may be a slightly greater demand for people who think they need BL, but OB will be popular among people who aren't hardcore off-roaders.

Here are some other thoughts I considered. I originally was leaning OB because I figured the tires might be more street-friendly (quiet and better gas mileage, longer-lasting). I thought that worst-case scenario, I could get KO2s for when we do off-roading. The 18" wheels on OB makes that tricky (no KO2 or equivalent for 18" wheels). So that would mean a second set of wheels (which would make swapping easier, anyway). However, spending the extra money on a second set of wheels and tires would put OB at about the same price as BL. Also, in photos, I was a bit concerned the OB tires looked too much like car tires. That concern was resolved when I finally saw the Bronco in person. They definitely look like truck tires and don't look under-sized--just different, with a little less sidewall than the other 32s and the BL's 33s.

Ultimately, I chose the BL because there were a few other cosmetic pros and cons on each but the BL's pros outweighed. I figured paying a little more for all of that off-road capability seemed sensible. If a Black Diamond could have been optioned with Lux, I probably would have gone that route to save more money. BD + Lux + sway bar disconnect and a choice of leather or MGV would have been perfection.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There will be relatively few Broncos even in a few years and demand will still be high no matter what you have. The difference between the packages will be negotiable. Get what you want and leave the resale value as an excuse if you need it. I know I did.
Sponsored