First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X 100D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the completely color matched look is what your are going for, then just do the OBX. Get some weathertech (or Ford Bronco equivalent) mats and you will be covered for MOST incidents.

It's gonna be way too expensive to try to color match parts after the fact. It will be much less expensive to get an quality interior detail on a regular basis for any regular carpet cleaning you may need that wasn't caught by all weather mats/
Sponsored

Last edited:

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

you can't get a manual trans with the OBX. Dilemma solved. Just kidding because I know some of you don't know how to use a clutch. ha ha.

For me, it's always been Badlands because of the capabilities (and the 7-seed man).

And as much as I don't think leather and plush amenities have a place in the way I'm going to use this rig, I do sympathize with the desire for color-keyed bits. Mine will be race red. I want a white roof, white wheels and either red or white mirrors and door handles. My plan is try to trade my black mirrors and handles on this site. But if that doesn't come together fast enough, I'll fall back to buy the parts from Ford when they are available. If they don't sell them color-keyed, I'll paint.

For the roof, I'm counting on the after-market to come through.

My thinking is you should pick the base model that best fits the way you are going to use it. Then work on the cosmetic stuff. But I could be wrong in my approach and end up blowing more money. For instance, if I end up lifting it, I maybe could have started with a cheaper base model.

But whatever, my left calf will be JACKED!

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not really. Outer banks is the first vehicle to allow the addition of all the packages so it’s the cheapest “entry” when it comes to the fully loaded Broncos and it comes standard with the mid package. It’s direct comparison is a fully loaded Wildtrak but the Badlands is in the middle and offers all of that plus the very neutral and nice looking MGV. Many have struggled with this comparison, me and my wife included. We bought a Badlands that we don’t fully need because the Outer Banks had options or colors that we didn’t like at all.
I don't want this to sound derogatory, but the OBX seems like the defintion of "mall crawler" that people like to say, while the Badlands is ready for the trails and the rocks.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't want this to sound derogatory, but the OBX seems like the defintion of "mall crawler" that people like to say, while the Badlands is ready for the trails and the rocks.
Lol, well my wife will drive her Badlands to the mall every day when she goes to work. The point is they’re compared more often than you think because they offer the same packages but different interiors. Wranglers have turned into 4 door mall crawling, grocery shopping, soccer practice, mom mobiles just like the Bronco will. They won’t all be OBX either 😧

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I went with the OBX 4 door because I could get the High Package and the 4.27 gear ratio so at a later point when I put larger tires and a lift on I would be set. They way I justified it is I was getting everything that I wouldn’t be able to get aftermarket, like the 12” monitor and the 360 camera setup, also not sky rocketing the cost for me. I figured that there are going to be a tremendous amount of aftermarket parts that I can install later. The few things that didn’t matter to me were the painted fender flares, tube steps, painted handles, and painted mirrors. I saw a post that had the stock flares with Sasquatch and I thought it looked decent, just wish I could have seen it with the painted ones. Oh and the wheels on the OBX are not a bigger seller for people, to be honest I don’t like them but figure maybe they would look better with different tires. Anyway, that is what I did, my advice would be to go with the option that has more of the options that you want or can’t live without.
Same here, with the "4.27/REAR AXLE-LOCKING DIFF" (copied/pasted that right off my order). And the 12" screen, 360 camera, and 4A. My two-door will have everything I want for $44K and change.
It's a freaking great deal.

Sponsored

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

they’re compared more often than you think because they offer the same packages but different interiors.
Also different wheels, painted trim pieces.

Wranglers have turned into 4 door mall crawling, grocery shopping, soccer practice, mom mobiles just like the Bronco will. They won’t all be OBX either
Yes, I totally get this. I'm no offroader even though I'll probably go Badlands. But still, even if climbing rock walls is only in our minds, it affects which vehicle we go for.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had to ask my wife if I was spelling it correctly. 😂
Oh shit! I didn't spell it correctly!
But that's not my wife's fault. That is me and my bad eyes not being able to see what I typed on my phone. :D

OP
OP
stm378

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe, but honestly, I feel like even the most base of base (which sadly made me think of Ace of Base because I'm old) Bronco is going to be able to handle trails and other places that (maybe short of the wrangler, 4runner, land cruiser) 98% of other SUV's may not be able to cover. Tack on that rear locker, which mine will have one way or another, and you're probably talking 99%. Is the badlands going to ultimately get your more places than the (rear locker) OBX with the bigger tires, higher/better suspension, front locker and disco, absolutely. Am I (or probably most people buying these things) going to go somewhere that I need that difference between the two...who knows, but I get the impression that every single one of these trucks is going to be plenty capable.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

but I get the impression that every single one of these trucks is going to be plenty capable.
Yes, I was only ever taking about perceptions, not reality.

OP
OP
stm378

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, I was only ever taking about perceptions, not reality.
Good point, perception definitely plays a part in it.

I suppose half of my problem is that I'm sitting in B6G with the most hardcore of hardcore Bronco fans. My guess is that the majority of people who see these aren't going to have any idea about the difference between the various trim levels, and only crazy obsessive people like myself (and all of you fine folks on this forum) are only going to be walking around knowing the specific differences between them.

Sponsored

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

only crazy obsessive people like myself (and all of you fine folks on this forum) are only going to be walking around knowing the specific differences between them.
Do you know the difference between a 1959 and 1960 Corvette?

The '60 has a bezel around the speaker grill.

đŸ€“

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think that's good advice....my pro's cons list has gotten out of control! I could give or take the wheels on the OBX, the stock wheels on the BL seem relatively similar to me and I'm not sure I can justify $1,000 extra for the upgraded BL wheels. FWIW, I saw a video on here at some point of the OBX wheels going down the road and they looked really cool.

Would the larger tires be an issue with gearing? I'd be happier with 33's on an OBX than the 32's it comes with but would be nervous that it wouldn't ride at the right RPM at highway speeds.

I forgot about the Tube steps, I'm not crazy about those either, I had steps on my previous SUV, which admittedly wasn't as high as this one is going to be and found myself never using them and occasionally banging my leg on them getting in.
The bigger issue with putting 33s on the OBX is going to be the wheel size. It's an 18" wheel, as opposed to 17" with Badlands. That's going to limit your tire options.

VGK_Fan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi S5 Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah I was going to be a smart ass and call this the "mall-er" vs. "baller" debate. But I'm better than that so I won't mention it.

:ROFLMAO:

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got the Badlands just so I could go to the mall and put one wheel up on a curb near a Jeep and wait for the Jeep owner to come out so I could hit the sway bar disconnect. Then drive off laughing.

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unless you're an avid rock crawler, the OBX is plenty. Throw some 265/70r18s on it and you'll be within .1" of the Badlands tire diameter. Decide you hate the painted fender flares? Buy plastic ones. Like the modular front bumper? Add it to your order or buy it down the line.
Sponsored