Sponsored

Octane rating information being recorded?

Derrick

Raptor
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor, 2010 Audi R8 V10
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Does any Bronco have the ability to sense fuel grade or octane rating which might affect the tune and adjust power levels accordingly? I can see if there was an engine problem that Ford could see what octane fuel you were driving with that may have effect to the issue one might have.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not directly, but yes.

There is something in Ford vehicles called the Octane Adjust Ratio. It is a continual feedback system that uses the knock sensors, the mass airflow sensor, and the O2 sensors to determine a numerical value that roughly corresponds to fuel quality and octane rating. Using that multiplier/ratio and a bunch of other system parameters, it'll dynamically adjust the ignition/camshaft timings. That multiplier is continually changing as you drive around, it's not a static value. And yes it can get logged with an OBD-II scan tool.

So yes, there is electronics in place that watch for octane rating and fuel quality. But it isn't reading the fuel directly. Instead it is continually monitoring engine performance, and adjusting the engine parameters are necessary.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not directly, but yes.

There is something in Ford vehicles called the Octane Adjust Ratio. It is a continual feedback system that uses the knock sensors, the mass airflow sensor, and the O2 sensors to determine a numerical value that roughly corresponds to fuel quality and octane rating. Using that multiplier/ratio and a bunch of other system parameters, it'll dynamically adjust the ignition/camshaft timings. That multiplier is continually changing as you drive around, it's not a static value. And yes it can get logged with an OBD-II scan tool.

So yes, there is electronics in place that watch for octane rating and fuel quality. But it isn't reading the fuel directly. Instead it is continually monitoring engine performance, and adjusting the engine parameters are necessary.
Exactly what I was gonna say... except with all the right words and stuff. ;)

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Basically what @RagnarKon said.
It’s an inferred value or percentage based off multiple other sensors.
Ford typically does the same thing with flex fuel vehicles. There usually isn’t an actual ethanol sensor, it’s just an inferred percentage that the PCM is calculating.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am curious how the efficiency of the system is affected with an ECU tune such as a Whipple :unsure:

Thoughts or facts really 🤠

Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The sensors can be tuned for any tune or power additions. The sensors are reading the output of the engine so the “system” can adjust the inputs. The skill of the programmer is the variable.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am curious how the efficiency of the system is affected with an ECU tune such as a Whipple :unsure:

Tunes usually adjust AFR(air-fuel ratio for those in the back) and the relationships of the readings of all the sensors are most likely to still tell the story of what fuel was used.

I'm loving it over here in 93 RON land and FP Tune, though.

Edit: I was referring to widely available commercial tunes. As @HBTFD points out, a tuner's experience and skill make a huge difference. I miss the days of going to a shop with a dyno for a custom tune but I do love the Ford Performance plug-n-play factor.

Last edited:

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I spent some time talking with a engineer at Whipple on a related subject and essentially was told they know if it's low grade fuel right away. The system monitors it constantly, knows it, and adjusts. When they have a vehicle come in for some testing or research it is the first thing they check and dump the fuel and replace it if its not what it is supposed to be. They can tell if the fuel is old or mixed with lower grade fuel from a prior tank. If you put the wrong fuel in it under normal conditions the computer adjusts all its parameters to protect the engine and power output will drop.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I spent some time talking with a engineer at Whipple on a related subject and essentially was told they know if it's low grade fuel right away. The system monitors it constantly, knows it, and adjusts. When they have a vehicle come in for some testing or research it is the first thing they check and dump the fuel and replace it if its not what it is supposed to be. They can tell if the fuel is old or mixed with lower grade fuel from a prior tank. If you put the wrong fuel in it under normal conditions the computer adjusts all its parameters to protect the engine and power output will drop.
Thanks (y). Always had a little concern about fuel quality in remote areas & Whipple states to run 91 minimum. 91 is the highest available in the states I travel through minus race fuel at a few stations. Especially if I cross over into Mexico someday.
Sponsored