Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BlkDia. Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi Everyone,
I decided to start a new thread about making some Add-ons to the OEM Roof Rack. No one has really created anything besides some people posting about DIYing their own brackets. I'm surprised no other company has come up with more Mounting Options for it. Maybe since the OEM rack is limited in it's capacity no one wants to put in the time to make anything.

Being that I'm an Engineer, I'm the type of person that will make my own parts like so many other people, if I have time. That being said, I've been working on some Bracket/Mounting Plate designs for the OEM Roof Rack. These would be able to mount Aluminum Extrusion Cross Bars with T-Slots for more roof add on options.

See my two designs that I created. I've seen other roof rack manufacturers make similar mounting plates for other vehicles, but so far nothing for the Bronco OEM Roof Rack.

This is still a work in progress, but I'd like to get some feedback and suggestions for my designs. If you have any suggestions let me know and I can see about adding to the designs. Also, I want to see if it's worth pursuing to have these made. I have a place that can laser cut the plates & bend them using Aluminum or Steel. I was thinking Aluminum due to it being lightweight. The plate thickness I was thinking of using .187" thick unless .25" thick would be better for these. They also can Powder-coat the plates.

Tnutz is the place I heard about that can provide the Cross Bar Extrusions, Cut to length & with mounting holes pre-drilled for a good price.

Option A: essentially this has the Bracket follow the OEM Rail profile. I created a plate on the bottom to fully secure it to the entire Rail. I added slot holes for all mounting points to make it more versatile. On the outside extension part of the plate it has slots so anyone can add accessories like an awning or other items. You can add an Aluminum T-slot Extrusion bar along the outside plate face thus connecting the two brackets. *See the last CAD image I made showing this added side mount Tslot Extrusion. This would make it more universal for adding more stuff. This option has a lot of bending involved so it will be higher in cost.
Option A -Estimate: at least $250 or more per cross bar set = (this would include four plates -Left/right -top & bottom plates, +powder coated, plus one black cross rail extrusion from Tnutz with the pre-drilled holes/tapped end holes etc. and all hardware I still need to source). *With Higher Qty it could be $200 per set or less. *If you only wanted one set of plates or sold in pairs, it would be around $150 (Left/Right Top Bottom-set), -or- One set Top/Bottom plate for $100 maybe.

Option B: this is the simple approach that is similar to "another roof rack manufacturer" I saw but they don't have the Bronco in their line up. These simple plates mount the to the existing threaded holes on the OEM rails. You can mount the Cross Bar above the OEM rail or below the rail. I have two designs, one has both hole mounts.
Option B -Estimate: $150 per cross bar set = (again it would include two plates for mounting one cross bar with the pre-drilled holes/tapped end holes etc. plus hardware). *With Higher Qty it could be $100 per set or less. *If you only want the plates, I guess one set would be around $40 (pair).

Granted those prices are only estimates I based on what it would take to have the plates custom made. If I get a higher quantity the cost would be lower. I'm also working on other designs for other parts on the bronco.

I don't have anything laid out yet for the Cross bar in the back where it mounts to the Hardtop. The plastic covering is formed to match the oval OEM cross bars which don't have any T-Slots and they have thin walls too. I'm sure if you wanted to add one of the Rectangular Extrusions you would need to cut some of the plastic to fit it between the plastic covers. Something I'm still thinking about.

Nothing is finalized and I still need to make some test pieces via 3D printing to try out first. I will also need to get the Aluminum Extrusion and see about testing it.

*Disclaimer: this wouldn't increase the weight capacity of the OEM rack. The main idea is to make the OEM rack more useful to us for adding other attachments with more mounting options. This wouldn't be for mounting heavy Rooftop tents.

Let me know what you think and which one would you be interested in if I have them made. I can see about selling them.

Thanks!

**Yesterday I tested out a cardboard template for the Option B mounting plate with the double position cross bar. The bottom position still clears the roof, but I'm not sure if you could remove the roof panels which would need to be tested.

Ford Bronco OEM Roof Rack Add-Ons & T-Slot Cross Bars BR Cross Bar Design A

Ford Bronco OEM Roof Rack Add-Ons & T-Slot Cross Bars BR Cross Bar Design B

Ford Bronco OEM Roof Rack Add-Ons & T-Slot Cross Bars 1714488089552-80

Ford Bronco OEM Roof Rack Add-Ons & T-Slot Cross Bars 1714489300140-1r
Sponsored

Last edited:

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Just a word of caution, as the dynamic load rating of the OEM roof rack is 110 lbs, and most roof top tents weigh more than that.
The MIC hardtops aren't that strong and having any weight bearing down on the roof isn't recommended.
I would take a look at the Trailrax and RTR roof racks and add load bearing columns before anything else.
Just my 2 cents, and probably why no one is really making things for the OEM roof racks.

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't have the OEM roof rack, but if I did, I'd probably be more interested in the first option. It'll cost a little more, but it's nice having the flexibility on where the cross bars can be positioned. I'm guessing it'd be difficult to design something to allow an extrusion to be bolted between the rear mounts to make it consistent?

Great design, I'm sure plenty would be interested. Like @mikeeshim mentioned, I still wouldn't use this for mounting anything heavy like a roof top tent, but it would be useful for bolting on awnings, cargo boxes, recovery boards, solar panels, etc.

OP
OP
mblur05

mblur05

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just a word of caution, as the dynamic load rating of the OEM roof rack is 110 lbs, and most roof top tents weigh more than that.
The MIC hardtops aren't that strong and having any weight bearing down on the roof isn't recommended.
I would take a look at the Trailrax and RTR roof racks and add load bearing columns before anything else.
Just my 2 cents, and probably why no one is really making things for the OEM roof racks.
I figured that's why no one has made anything for it so far because of its limits. This idea is mainly for those of us who have the OEM rack that don't want to upgrade & we don't plan on using a rooftop tent. The RTR & Trailrax are great looking racks but a bit pricey for some of us not looking for something like those.
My design idea is for addons to the OEM rack and making it more versitile for us, which is how Ford should've made it to begin with, having it made with Aluminum T-slot extrusions that have more mounting points. I edited my post and added a disclaimer about rooftop tents.
Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mblur05

mblur05

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't have the OEM roof rack, but if I did, I'd probably be more interested in the first option. It'll cost a little more, but it's nice having the flexibility on where the cross bars can be positioned. I'm guessing it'd be difficult to design something to allow an extrusion to be bolted between the rear mounts to make it consistent?

Great design, I'm sure plenty would be interested. Like @mikeeshim mentioned, I still wouldn't use this for mounting anything heavy like a roof top tent, but it would be useful for bolting on awnings, cargo boxes, recovery boards, solar panels, etc.
Good to know. I originally was trying to find oval shaped T-slot extrusions that could replace all of the OEM cross bars especially the rear one, however I couldn't really find anything to match it.

I haven't even looked at the rear cross bar section yet. Most likely I would need to engineer a mounting plate to fit the Rectangle Extrusion back there so it would match the height of the other cross bars. The plastic coverings would need to be trimmed if reusing them to fit the new cross bar shape. That is my idea for the rear section but its still a work in progress.

Yes, the main idea is to make it so you can add all those types of items, however not a rooftop tent.
I added a disclaimer about rooftop tent. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Shrek27

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'd like to see a design to connect T-slotted rails spanning between the OEM crossbars (running front-back) vs replacing them.

OP
OP
mblur05

mblur05

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'd like to see a design to connect T-slotted rails spanning between the OEM crossbars (running front-back) vs replacing them.
You mean something like this Single sided T-Slot going the length of the OEM side rails with the T-Slot facing inward?

Or do you mean have a cross bar going in between the middle crossbars front to back?

1714507957084-bp.png

1714509308159-ui.png

Peitnahtan

Base
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi Everyone,
I decided to start a new thread about making some Add-ons to the OEM Roof Rack. No one has really created anything besides some people posting about DIYing their own brackets. I'm surprised no other company has come up with more Mounting Options for it. Maybe since the OEM rack is limited in it's capacity no one wants to put in the time to make anything.

Being that I'm an Engineer, I'm the type of person that will make my own parts like so many other people, if I have time. That being said, I've been working on some Bracket/Mounting Plate designs for the OEM Roof Rack. These would be able to mount Aluminum Extrusion Cross Bars with T-Slots for more roof add on options.

See my two designs that I created. I've seen other roof rack manufacturers make similar mounting plates for other vehicles, but so far nothing for the Bronco OEM Roof Rack.

This is still a work in progress, but I'd like to get some feedback and suggestions for my designs. If you have any suggestions let me know and I can see about adding to the designs. Also, I want to see if it's worth pursuing to have these made. I have a place that can laser cut the plates & bend them using Aluminum or Steel. I was thinking Aluminum due to it being lightweight. The plate thickness I was thinking of using .187" thick unless .25" thick would be better for these. They also can Powder-coat the plates.

Tnutz is the place I heard about that can provide the Cross Bar Extrusions, Cut to length & with mounting holes pre-drilled for a good price.

Option A: essentially this has the Bracket follow the OEM Rail profile. I created a plate on the bottom to fully secure it to the entire Rail. I added slot holes for all mounting points to make it more versatile. On the outside extension part of the plate it has slots so anyone can add accessories like an awning or other items. You can add an Aluminum T-slot Extrusion bar along the outside plate face thus connecting the two brackets. *See the last CAD image I made showing this added side mount Tslot Extrusion. This would make it more universal for adding more stuff. This option has a lot of bending involved so it will be higher in cost.
Option A -Estimate: at least $250 or more per cross bar set = (this would include four plates -Left/right -top & bottom plates, +powder coated, plus one black cross rail extrusion from Tnutz with the pre-drilled holes/tapped end holes etc. and all hardware I still need to source). *With Higher Qty it could be $200 per set or less. *If you only wanted one set of plates or sold in pairs, it would be around $150 (Left/Right Top Bottom-set), -or- One set Top/Bottom plate for $100 maybe.

Option B: this is the simple approach that is similar to "another roof rack manufacturer" I saw but they don't have the Bronco in their line up. These simple plates mount the to the existing threaded holes on the OEM rails. You can mount the Cross Bar above the OEM rail or below the rail. I have two designs, one has both hole mounts.
Option B -Estimate: $150 per cross bar set = (again it would include two plates for mounting one cross bar with the pre-drilled holes/tapped end holes etc. plus hardware). *With Higher Qty it could be $100 per set or less. *If you only want the plates, I guess one set would be around $40 (pair).

Granted those prices are only estimates I based on what it would take to have the plates custom made. If I get a higher quantity the cost would be lower. I'm also working on other designs for other parts on the bronco.

I don't have anything laid out yet for the Cross bar in the back where it mounts to the Hardtop. The plastic covering is formed to match the oval OEM cross bars which don't have any T-Slots and they have thin walls too. I'm sure if you wanted to add one of the Rectangular Extrusions you would need to cut some of the plastic to fit it between the plastic covers. Something I'm still thinking about.

Nothing is finalized and I still need to make some test pieces via 3D printing to try out first. I will also need to get the Aluminum Extrusion and see about testing it.

*Disclaimer: this wouldn't increase the weight capacity of the OEM rack. The main idea is to make the OEM rack more useful to us for adding other attachments with more mounting options. This wouldn't be for mounting heavy Rooftop tents.

Let me know what you think and which one would you be interested in if I have them made. I can see about selling them.

Thanks!

**Yesterday I tested out a cardboard template for the Option B mounting plate with the double position cross bar. The bottom position still clears the roof, but I'm not sure if you could remove the roof panels which would need to be tested.

Ford Bronco OEM Roof Rack Add-Ons & T-Slot Cross Bars 1714509308159-ui

I Love it, I would be interested in this design once it's completed. I was thinking about devising something so I could mount a light bar in the front.

OP
OP
mblur05

mblur05

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I Love it, I would be interested in this design once it's completed. I was thinking about devising something so I could mount a light bar in the front.
There are some front light mount bars that I've seen for the OEM rack. So you have a few options out there.

I was debating on designing a mount to add a Wind Deflector to the front windshield factory rail mounts where the bolts are on top. However, Badass Tents already makes one for the OEM rack and it's only $200.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Never mind tents and the OEM rack, I wish someone would make reasonably priced mounts- easily able to be installed and removed that would fit round, standard cross bars from Yakima or the oval bars from Thule.

Sponsored

Blue Hen

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Malone Racks might have crossbars that fit the factory rails.

Shrek27

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes, like that. Would even be OK just spanning back to middle, but full length would be awesome.
I think this would create the least wind noise and provide attachments for T-slotted accessories.

OP
OP
mblur05

mblur05

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes, like that. Would even be OK just spanning back to middle, but full length would be awesome.
I think this would create the least wind noise and provide attachments for T-slotted accessories.
I'm not sure about that. I don't think that would be very secure having it span the entire length, plus you would need to integrate the extrusion which is bigger than the oem crossbars into it some how. Seems like a lot of Engineering.

Replacing the oem crossbars with the Tslot extrusions, you could then attach a center one going front-back in the middle like that, thanks to Tslots connections since they're like big erector set pieces.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Why wouldn’t you just get Thule/Yakima t slot bars and Rapid Crossroad/Timberline foot packs to mount to side rails? Will look better and available for relatively cheap on FB marketplace.
Sponsored