First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Base
Documenting from start to finish what it took to get a good mount for accessories for the oem bronco mount. Would also be nice if anyone has knows a manufacturer that would want to help something like this get produced. This process started because I wanted to mount something with standard threads to the roof of my bronco but found basically no accessories for the oem roof rack with most people tossing it and getting something else that actually has support for accessories. For me specifically, I fly FPV planes, and use an antenna tracker that would work perfectly if I could mount it to the roof of the Bronco.

Version 1: Wayyy too big and not sure how my dimensions got so far off. This one would have worked okay with some rags or something used as spacers but was just too big and clumsy with 4 bolts to hold it together.

Ford Bronco OEM Roof Rack Mount IMG_6283.JPG

Version 2-Many: Dimensions seemed very close but could never quite get it to fit right. Many 3d printed parts were created in hopes of finding one that fit. Various sizes and shapes being tested all getting close but failing.

Ford Bronco OEM Roof Rack Mount IMG_6281.JPG
Ford Bronco OEM Roof Rack Mount IMG_6279.JPG
Ford Bronco OEM Roof Rack Mount IMG_6278.JPG
Ford Bronco OEM Roof Rack Mount IMG_6277.JPG

Final Version: The final version I actually removed the oem crossbars to get very accurate measurements of it. This resulted in a near perfect fit around the crossbar with what looks like no need for anything like thick double sided tap to take up extra space between the mount and the crossbar. I did try a single bolt and nut with a latching system but I decided on two bolts and two locknuts which are much easier to replace if broken than a complicated latch built into the mount. I was able to get a prototype cnc'd out of aluminum which looks pretty good and is will be very functional. I did post this to a local facebook group with others showing interest in it but the current prototype costs to order just a handful would be well over $100 each mount. I could get it lower on a group order but if anyone here knows a manufacturer that would be interested in helping get this built in quantity let me know.

Ford Bronco OEM Roof Rack Mount IMG_6276.JPG
Ford Bronco OEM Roof Rack Mount IMG_6275.JPG
Ford Bronco OEM Roof Rack Mount IMG_6423.JPG
Ford Bronco OEM Roof Rack Mount IMG_6428.JPG
Ford Bronco OEM Roof Rack Mount IMG_6425 2
Ford Bronco OEM Roof Rack Mount IMG_6429.JPG

IMG_6428.JPG
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Documenting from start to finish what it took to get a good mount for accessories for the oem bronco mount. Would also be nice if anyone has knows a manufacturer that would want to help something like this get produced. This process started because I wanted to mount something with standard threads to the roof of my bronco but found basically no accessories for the oem roof rack with most people tossing it and getting something else that actually has support for accessories. For me specifically, I fly FPV planes, and use an antenna tracker that would work perfectly if I could mount it to the roof of the Bronco.

Version 1: Wayyy too big and not sure how my dimensions got so far off. This one would have worked okay with some rags or something used as spacers but was just too big and clumsy with 4 bolts to hold it together.

Version 2-Many: Dimensions seemed very close but could never quite get it to fit right. Many 3d printed parts were created in hopes of finding one that fit. Various sizes and shapes being tested all getting close but failing.

Final Version: The final version I actually removed the oem crossbars to get very accurate measurements of it. This resulted in a near perfect fit around the crossbar with what looks like no need for anything like thick double sided tap to take up extra space between the mount and the crossbar. I did try a single bolt and nut with a latching system but I decided on two bolts and two locknuts which are much easier to replace if broken than a complicated latch built into the mount. I was able to get a prototype cnc'd out of aluminum which looks pretty good and is will be very functional. I did post this to a local facebook group with others showing interest in it but the current prototype costs to order just a handful would be well over $100 each mount. I could get it lower on a group order but if anyone here knows a manufacturer that would be interested in helping get this built in quantity let me know.

Thank you for sharing this!

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really like the OEM look of parts and I try to keep my rig that way as much as possible. Thanks for doing this; it would be perfect for mounting my recovery boards to a crossbar but the price would be steep if I were to get a pair. I hope you do get some manufacturing involved to help bring the cost down.

smonroe11

Badlands
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Better get a patent lawyer on it pronto!

Sponsored

Tellsnow

Base
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is excellent! I’ve been keeping an eye out for a manufacturer to put out OEM bar mounts, but doesn’t seem like any have done so yet. I think just about anybody with the rack that wants options would be interested in these.

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Great job, you should make the same thing for the bars running the length of the bronco, these bars…
938261D7-7C0D-445C-B094-C52914C0E6B8.jpeg

problem with the rack is that the cross bars running between the bars running the length of the vehicle do not really provide a lot of space. If I put paddle boards/kayaks on cross bars with paddle bracket holder and all attached to cross bars I barely have room for paddle bracket holder. If I could utilize the bars running the length of the vehicle then I’d have more space, you could mount paddle, fishing rods etc to that bar instead of cross bars…hope this makes sense lol.

Or make cross bars that stick out past the bars running the length of the vehicle.

OP
OP
JoshFisk3

JoshFisk3

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Base
That’s a good idea i’ll see what i can do. Did this get reposted somewhere recently?

Tellsnow

Base
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think my post brought it back to life/top of the recent post list. Was doing some digging on mounting ideas. Let me know if you end up making a small batch and selling them!

Sponsored

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
That’s a good idea i’ll see what i can do. Did this get reposted somewhere recently?
Hopefully! 😂, the oem rack is completely forgotten about in regards to accessories. Don’t really want to spend the coin for aftermarket rack when already have one.

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OP
OP
JoshFisk3

JoshFisk3

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Base
I dont think getting a patent would be difficult. I have pretty clear development path. But also seems cost prohibitive.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah..we need some mounts for the side rails so we can bolt up things like awnings and such. But I'd want to see 2 threaded holes per bracket.... Preferably spaced apart with the standard (which I think is 2"?)

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I dont think getting a patent would be difficult. I have pretty clear development path. But also seems cost prohibitive.
A utility patent will run $10 - 20K, depending on how button down you want it to be. You will never recoop that.

If you are serious, a design patent and trademarks on the device's unique appearance will buy you some protection. However you can never claim that any of the IP has anything to do with the unit's functionality. That will void the IP. Likewise, copyrighting your drawings will add a few wires for other to trip.
Sponsored