Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Anything way over the top for what you're doing.

I feel like the fun in off-roading is finding something that challenges your ability and the vehicle, not just throwing money at accessories until nothing you're doing is challenging. Just my opinion and to each their own.

Went to MOAB about a year ago dirtbiking with some friends. Came across a convoy of brand new Wranglers and Raptors with everything you can buy out of a catalog. We wound up going up the same trail as them in a 2WD rental truck, on street tires, with 3 dirtbikes in the back. We definitely got some laughs out of that.

* Follow up - I think rooftop tents are pretty dumb *
I heard somebody apply this sound logic to the Mazda Miata (MX 5). It's strength is the fun factor. The vehicle maximizes fun. The Mazda can turn any exit ramp into a fun race track. It can turn your typical back road drive, into Lemans, and you can do it without expensive mods. The Mazda is not a race car, it is a driver's car, and enthusiasts car.

This is how I am viewing the Bronco, and partly why I went for the 2dr
it is a sports car for drivers. It maximizes fun. Mountain fire access roads outside of Ashville, driving the beaches of Corolla in NC, and cruising to the ice cream shop with my family (top down, doors off) on a Summer night.

Just like with the Mazda, most people don't buy a new one and turn it into a track car, the same is true for the Bronco and extreme off-roading...According To My Opinion.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

yep, and, no joke, the NC legislature just passed a law banning it.

https://www.wspa.com/news/nc-passes-bill-that-could-ban-squatted-trucks/

8B06F5FF-8E7C-4F5E-9C42-1877D2CBDDDC.png
Beat me to it.
Yes, unfortunately, it is a thing.
And it breaks my heart that it is called the "Carolina Squat".
Whenever people ask me about it from out of state, I always point the blame to South Carolina (No disrespect to the great Palmetto state, but hey, NC can't bear this burden alone).
It is horrible.
There is no way they can see what's in front of them and the headlights don't have enough adjustment to compensate.
I guess that's why they all put the lights in their wheels along with underbody glow along with the 36" diameter Exhaust tips, so they can be seen by others.
Because they dang sure can't see anyone else.
This is one law I can get behind...even though it kinda opens the door for expanding into affecting things that aren't as ridiculous (and I know this is subjective).
I've heard talk of the law being expanded to include ALL height modifications to vehicles legally tagged for highway use to limit them to less than 2" higher or lower than stock factory settings.
Before you know it this could continue to expand and constrict options until....
Well, I'll stop there before it becomes political.
At the end of the day we all agree the death of the "Carolina squat" will be a great day in the history of mankind, and there will be much rejoicing.

Sponsored

Uncle Gump

First Name
Gump
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Ranger, 1986 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I want to see more pictures of this. I like this. It looks like it's built well too! Good work.
Thanks...

As with much of what we build for ourselves... this too is seeing some "evolution". The biggest issue is when it's swung open the weight of it twists and flexes the bumper itself and the mounting brackets. You see a jack stand under the end... I actually built an adjustable leg to support the weight when actually using it. The company (Affordable Off Road) that built the rear bumper designed it to install with factory brackets but now makes a nice pair of heavy duty brackets and a brace kit for solving this issue. I just got a set of brackets from them ($85 sure saved me a bunch of fab time and with current steel prices... it was a no brainer) and the next project is to get them installed. I'm in the middle of a move so I'm a couple weeks out from making that happen.

I actually bought the steel box that I call my "chuck box" at a garage sale for $2... It actually fits my single burner Coleman stove... French press... small cook kit and some other necessities. That too is under "evolution".

Ford Bronco Off Road Mods People Think Are Cool, But Really Aren’t cook box

AOR doesn't have anything available for the 6G Bronco... but I'm sure they will. These folks do some really nice work.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

balynn1971

Badlands
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The ones that look like they can climb a mountain but have only conquered the Local Bubble bath car wash 😂
You stole my thunder. I've never owned a 4x4 but told my wife if I'm buying this thing I'm using it for what it's built for. I see too many of these things (mostly Wranglers) on the road all tricked out with everything that everyone has listed so far (some of which I have no idea what they are...thank you google) and you know they've never seen an un-paved road....don't get it. Excited to learn, get the damn thing dirty (probably scratch it up a bit, but that's OK) and have some fun.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This...this here 100%. These preproduction units we keep seeing with 10 damn circular lights on top....why? All the patterns are gonna overlap and be no different than having 2 lights.
You stole my thunder. I've never owned a 4x4 but told my wife if I'm buying this thing I'm using it for what it's built for. I see too many of these things (mostly Wranglers) on the road all tricked out with everything that everyone has listed so far (some of which I have no idea what they are...thank you google) and you know they've never seen an un-paved road....don't get it. Excited to learn, get the damn thing dirty (probably scratch it up a bit, but that's OK) and have some fun.
I swear its as bad if not worse as the dummies that buy a sports car but only drive the speed limit if not under....

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Snorkels. I estimate that of the people who have them, less than 1% have ever needed/taken advantage of one.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Snorkels. I estimate that of the people who have them, less than 1% have ever needed/taken advantage of one.
You know until about a year or so ago, I thought the snorkel was literal and for fording water. Read that its actually to breathe better in sand

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You know until about a year or so ago, I thought the snorkel was literal and for fording water. Read that its actually to breathe better in sand
It's both, but the number of water crossings where you'd be deep enough to need the snorkel AND also be able to make it across without being swept away or destroying all the electrics in the vehicle is exceedingly low. They are very useful in sand.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Right. How many that you see on the road have ever been in a situation that benefited from having one for any reason though?

I think now that OEMs have started including them in “XxxTrEmE oFf RoAd PaCkAgEs,” they’ve become cosmetically desirable and not much more
Sponsored