Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exactly.
Now, which popular classics have had their values tank in recent years?
Which will tank when the Boomers "age out"?
camaros have taken a hit, moreso than mustangs and chevelles, because the newer models are not well liked. the EBs are probably the biggest growth, while the wranglers have been fairly stagnant due to the replacement being a good solid replacement.
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't think it will affect older Broncos, as they are completely different vehicles. 2019 and older Explorer values, on the other hand, will plummet. Who would want one of those when you can get a convertible one with a cooler name?

All kidding aside, I don't see how anyone would have to make this choice. Any buyer who has $40K+ to spend will only have one or the other in mind. You either want an old Bronco, or you are looking at a new SUV and the Bronco could be an option. No one will buy a '69 Bronco to commute with everyday and take the kids to grandma's house 3 hrs away. Sure, it can be done. I did it when I was younger, but I didn't spend anywhere near $40K to do it.
But if we are talking late model Broncos, especially the EFI ones, I could see where all the new Bronco hype might lead someone to consider one of those. Those trucks are nice, dependable, and can be driven anywhere comfortably.
There are Jeep fans who, if the new Wrangler was not available, their cash would be going towards older Jeeps, causing prices to rise. Similar will happen once the new Bronco arrives, if it's perceived a worthy successor and can be personalized like the JL, some people will buy that instead of dealing with an EB. Keep in mind people want and buy EBs for various reasons, sometimes foolishly and the reality sets in.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be one of those companies hawking $100,000 EBs, if the new Bronco is a hit and getting kitted up and people are driving all over having a blast with them, top down doors off and all. The allure of the EB for certain segments of the market will wain. By how much? We will see ...

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
camaros have taken a hit, moreso than mustangs and chevelles, because the newer models are not well liked. the EBs are probably the biggest growth, while the wranglers have been fairly stagnant due to the replacement being a good solid replacement.
Yep, I'm working from home today, and looking at my Jeep TJ parked on the street outside. Someone could park a new Wrangler JL next to it, and both look similar, with many of the same features. A person walking down the street would immediately identify both as a Jeep. And a Jeep fan knows the JL is a solid replacement with many of the same looks and features of older models.

And that is why Jeep fans and others are able to buy a new JL, instead of throwing their cash at old TJ/CJs. The extent to which that happens with Broncos, will depend on the type of vehicle Ford delivers, and how it is perceived by the public.

Also I think new Wrangler vs older Jeep models, is a better analogy than some of the other new vs. classic car analogies. The old 4x4s are viewed with more utility, and we already are fairly sure the new Bronco will come with removable top/panels and doors? Those are the sort of key ingredients that make the appeal of the new vehicle and old more similar.

B-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco Explorer, 1985 Mustang GT, Z71
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There are Jeep fans who, if the new Wrangler was not available, their cash would be going towards older Jeeps, causing prices to rise. Similar will happen once the new Bronco arrives, if it's perceived a worthy successor and can be personalized like the JL, some people will buy that instead of dealing with an EB. Keep in mind people want and buy EBs for various reasons, sometimes foolishly and the reality sets in.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be one of those companies hawking $100,000 EBs, if the new Bronco is a hit and getting kitted up and people are driving all over having a blast with them, top down doors off and all. The allure of the EB for certain segments of the market will wain. By how much? We will see ...
I kinda see your point. Back when the YJ replaced the CJ, CJ prices really took off. Everyone hated those square headlights. 25 years ago, my buddy paid $7000 for a used, final year, well equipped '86 CJ-7 Renegade. I thought he was crazy. That was a lot of money for a college kid. My Bronco was less than 1/3 of that price. But the Jeep was really nice.
There was a guy not far from us who specialized in selling CJs. He put new paint on old Jeeps and sold them for crazy money because everyone thought "real Jeeps" were dead. I haven't looked at CJ prices, but I know they aren't in line with early Bronco values. CJ-5s are dirt cheap in some cases. Maybe the new Bronco will be the relief I have been looking for and will cause EB values to drop to reasonable levels.

But, I still don't see an EB as a viable option for someone who would also consider a new Bronco. It is now common knowledge that EBs are considered "collectible" and one test drive would show that you will not get the same kind of driving experience as a brand new vehicle. Jeeps are different because they never stopped making them. Wide track CJs drive just as well as any YJ. Their only advantage was the EFI on the later 4.0. TJs are going to be a lot better than both of those and the newest ones are probably even better, even though they got fatter.
But there is a huge development gap between 1977 and 2021. Even the big Broncos, which are lightyears ahead of an EB, are going to seem primitive compared to a truck that is 25 years newer.
My point is, I might be able to talk my wife into driving a new Bronco, but there is no way she'd take any of the previously built Broncos as a daily driver. And I wouldn't want her to. Like most car buyers out there, she wants things like airbags, touchscreens, car seat latch points and cupholders. The average person would think you were crazy to suggest they put their kids in an old truck from the 90's.

Sponsored

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I just reached the point of being able to buy an old EB?
Decision Making

EB:
  1. Nostalgia
  2. Appearance (maybe)
  3. Home Mechanic Upgradeable.

Bronco/Bronco
  1. Payment over Lump Sum
  2. Warranty
  3. 4 Doors
  4. Modern Safety
  5. Modern MPG
  6. To name a few
I'm on the Bronco/Bronco bandwagon.
EBs are awesome. But with a modern option coming unless it fails in some significant way it will be New over Old.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco II
To make room for this new bronco, I think I'm going to sell my 84 bronco ii.
What do you y'all think would be a fair price. Honestly, I never thought I would sell it. I love it, maybe too much, but I won't have the space for both.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I see the prices on full size Early Broncos going up. Bronco II, not so much.
Bronco II was an unworthy successor to the Early Bronco (sorry Camel), and the Full Sized Bronco was available at the same time. Think of Bronco II like Mustang II.

OP
OP

Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco II
Bronco II was an unworthy successor to the Early Bronco (sorry Camel), and the Full Sized Bronco was available at the same time. Think of Bronco II like Mustang II.
I think you hurt my BII's feelings!

I've noticed that to an extent, but I'm not sure why. The lack of a removable roof is a bit disappointing, but on the other hand I just left my BII out in some heavy rain and not a single leak!
A short wheel base true 4x4, no matter what it is, should be doing fine.

Also, I've been looking around and can't find a single one where I live, and online there isn't a decent one for under 5k. Big jumps from the 2ks 4x4s were going for a little while ago.

OP
OP

Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco II
Jeeps are different because they never stopped making them. Wide track CJs drive just as well as any YJ. Their only advantage was the EFI on the later 4.0. TJs are going to be a lot better than both of those and the newest ones are probably even better, even though they got fatter.
Ha! Jeeps are different because the new ones are just as bad as the old ones. If it sells well why improve it?

Sponsored

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I believe the old Bronco market will remain stable (not taking into account the coronavirus). You'll always find a buyer for for those bad boys. But as much as I love the old Broncos, I need a everyday driver. If I'm going to spend $50k I want factory warranty and the reliability a new vehicle offers. Half of my work day is spent in my vehicle driving to construction sites, it's like my second office. So give me the 4 x 4 capability, factory warranty, all the bells & whistles, and I'm good to go.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I believe the old Bronco market will remain stable (not taking into account the coronavirus). You'll always find a buyer for for those bad boys. But as much as I love the old Broncos, I need a everyday driver. If I'm going to spend $50k I want factory warranty and the reliability a new vehicle offers. Half of my work day is spent in my vehicle driving to construction sites, it's like my second office. So give me the 4 x 4 capability, factory warranty, all the bells & whistles, and I'm good to go.
Agreed: Nostalgic boomers with money are not (well may not) go away anytime soon, so classics from that era are going to stay at a premium.

And yep, need a daily driver with capabilities. And want the classic look.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I hope they drop back down out of lunacy.
All it does if force me to pay more for classic insurance and
make part costs go up, as parts suppliers end up getting much
higher prices for stuff, due to clientele being loaded.

LRDiscovery2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover Discovery 2, Lexus GS450h
I know that the overpriced c**p that Icon is selling will drop in price.