Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great stuff, thank you Ross!

Any review/feedback your son has from a kid perspective? I have two boys (11 and 14) and they would love to hear something like that. :)
Sponsored

Big L 65

Outer Banks
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't know, guys. Waiting until 2023 just to get my painted top (IMO the only one that looks at all decent)? Rubicon's looking better every day - and they're available!
Iā€™m in the same boat as you smh I canā€™t believe they cant get these tops to us .

DFNMAN

Base
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' 2dr, 15' M3, 07' FJ, 03' M3, 79' 928
Your Bronco Model
Base
At this point I'm more inclined to put some money into upgrading the speakers. I don't need a sub or anything crazy, just a better full-range sound reproduction.
Is there any room under the front seats for an under seat subwoofer?

Cridlon

Big Bend
First Name
CLIF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Great write up! Ross, you have the signature led lighting, I have that ordered too. Did that upgrade your tail lights to led also?

Andrew_EOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
*Side Note* I know this was in another thread, and had some discussion, BAJA vs SPORT modes.

We have a demo here that has the sport mode and mine has baja. I have been able to test out both. They are NOT the same! I would strongly discourage using BAJA on pavement! Even switching back into 2H. The shift points are not the same as what it is in Sport Mode. BAJA on pavement IMO is not a good option. I dont know if it will hurt anything on the Bronco, it was just not a good ride. Holds rpms too high and shifts hard or feels like it wont shift. overall it is not the same as Sport mode. I can say I will not be using it as an alternative to sport mode. off road is a different story, as I was able to use Baja in texas on the dirt track!
This is what I expected. Thanks for comparing that.

Sponsored

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜88 911,ā€˜15 Chevy 2500, ā€˜24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This sounds like a good problem to have, haha! I have taken a few calls in my badlands with soft top on, windows up and no one has complained or said they couldn't hear me.
True, yeah more 'Me time'. If only there were some way not to be tracked down when at Home Depot/Lowes etc...

OP
OP
PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

PREMiERdrum

How is the blue tooth mic for phone conversations?

My wife biggest complaint with my STi besides "Do you have to drive so fast?" was with the phone. The center a/c vents would blow directly on the microphone, that coupled with the lack of sound deadening and intake noise routed to the glove box resulted with "Call me back, when you get where you're going."

I'm old and still find it easier to use the phone function of my cellular rather then text and drive. Good to know the Bronco tracks straight for those who do text and drive though.

Glad you and your family are enjoying the New Bronco!
Call quality is superb, though I haven't attempted anything with the roof off (not sure why we would tbh).

Nice review. Thanks!

ā€¦..but whatā€™s it smell like? LOL
In short, heaven. Not an overwhelming new car smell (my ex-wife just got a Kia Carnival that's been an absolute shitshow of an ownership experience, but the interior had a STRONG model glue smell)

Great stuff, thank you Ross!

Any review/feedback your son has from a kid perspective? I have two boys (11 and 14) and they would love to hear something like that. :)
My son - who turned 9 yesterday - thinks it's the absolute coolest. He's asked to go pick up most of his friends to take them on joy rides, and we've been able to make it happen for 4 or 5 of them already. I will say that without the tube steps they'd all be struggling to get in a bit.

Is there any room under the front seats for an under seat subwoofer?
Perhaps? I'll poke around today and try to get you a better answer.

Great write up! Ross, you have the signature led lighting, I have that ordered too. Did that upgrade your tail lights to led also?
Yes! You get the higher-end tails as well.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

To be fair they're 4" around... šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Edit: In all seriousness, a 4/6 4/6 front and 4/4 rear could be just fine with a properly reinforced cone and reasonable EQ work. I'm curious if the Bronco cones are a more weather-resistant material instead of pulp, which would contribute to the tinny sound.

I'd love to hear some woven, reinforced glass cone units in there. That would make a world of difference.
I admit to being spoiled. My GTI came with Dynaudio speakers from the factory. The 11 speakers and two subs setup that was in my BMW can't even touch how unbelievably perfect the VW sounds.

Since the GTI is going track car eventually, I might try to lift the speakers right from this car into the bronco when it shows up

Cridlon

Big Bend
First Name
CLIF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes! You get the higher-end tails as well.
[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah! Thanks Buddy!

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
20210704_100731.jpg

Yesterday afternoon marked exactly one week since taking delivery of Betty, a 4 door Bronco Big Bend (2.L, 10 sp auto, MIC roof, Mid Package, Signature Lights, and floor liners). With 7 days and almost 400 miles on her, I thought it would be good to report back on how things are going.

First of all, this thing is every bit as smooth and drivable on-road as my Flex or my wife's Explorer. It tracks straight and smooth with none of the wallowing or skittering you see with other off-road vehicles. The suspension and "big" tires (non-squatch here) swallow up fairly significant imperfections in the road, even at speed. It's engaging and quite responsive, with good feedback both from underneath in the straits and in the wheel during turns. The turning radius seems a lot tighter than the wide, flat hood would lead on from the driver's seat.

When you put your foot in it, the 2.3L will go. This does NOT feel like some wheezy punishment of a base engine. I doubt any of you selecting the 2.7L will be disappointed, but the 2.3 is beyond adequate. I'm averaging 21 mpg in mostly around town and back country road driving.

There's something about the height and shape of the windshield frame that minimizes buffeting even with the front 3 roof panels off. The back seat is treated to a nice face-full of breeze but the pressure is pleasantly consistent. It's still smooth enough that a certain just-turned-9-year-old enjoyed about a 20 minute nap while cruising the back roads of Licking County, Ohio:

20210702_161511.jpg

The interior materials are TOUGH and hardy. I've had far too many "oh shit!" moments already where a baseball bat, cooler, or piece of drum hardware made less-than-ideal contact with parts of the cabin, and any little mark that might remain just wipes right off.

The roof panel design, weight, and operation has really impressed me. We're talking less than 60 seconds to get the front 2 panels off and stowed, and not much longer to get the mid panel off. My nephew - a very small 10 year old - wanted to learn how to work the roof last night. He figured it out in a couple minutes as I watched and had no problem maneuvering the front panels. Open air experience was definitely a big priority for the engineers and they absolutely nailed it.

I've gotten her off road a bit more at a buddy's horse farm. Took it on a trail through the woods, and while it wasn't incredibly difficult terrain, the Bronco just swallowed it right up like it was on a flat stretch of road. I need to get her to one of the trail parks around here to really stretch her legs and see what she can do.

I don't expect this to change for a while, but this thing is an attention getter. I've had 2 Bronco Sports track me down (one on the freeway and one on the main drag thru town) honking and waving like they saw a celebrity. Lots of questions and comments from strangers in parking lots with many happy at the chance to hop in and check her out. Also, the signature lighting just looks absolutely slick after dark. It presents like a concept car, not a production model.

One week in and I have no regrets in my build - this is exactly the Bronco that fits me. IF you're thinking about sacrificing some of your preferred options to try and get one sooner, I'd recommend against it. You've waited this long to get just what you want, and I can promise these rigs have the goods to deliver once they arrive.

I'm obviously a bit biased, but the Cactus / Carbonized combo has a lovely purposeful two-tone effect. The Carbonized accents aren't quite black but are a beautifully deep gray. With the Carbonized wheels, grille, and badging on Big Bend it all just goes so well together.

No dislikes. A few things that have taken getting used to:
- The Auto Start/Stop seems to get smoother and less noticeable as you go. I hated it on day 1 but haven't turned it off since day 2.

-When you open the driver's door the active grille shutters get into position for driving, creating a high pitched mechanical sound from the front end. It still surprises me every time. (it isn't loud, but decades of ear damage from live music and approx. 35% hearing loss has left my ears quite sensitive to higher frequencies).

- Opening the swing gate takes some getting used to. Pull the handle towards you and the operation is fairly light for the first 1/3 of travel, but then the strut kicks in. Your first instinct is to keep pulling but the resistance is heavy. In actuality, once you feel the resistance you just let go and let the strut push it open for about the next 1/3 of travel. It has taken me almost this whole first week to stop fighting the damn strut.

In full transparency, my last 2 daily drivers were a 2013 Flex preceded by a 2008 Fusion. Lighting tech has made HUGE strides in the time between then and now! The Bronco has a nice *broad* wash of light and the auto high beams work much better than I would have expected. The pattern is much better than that of our Explorer which throws a bit narrow and boxy.

Yep, you can push it a tiny bit more to hit the "rest" in travel at 90 degrees, or push through that travel to the 2nd stop which is a good ways past 90. Having the strut is a big help, it's just getting used to stopping and letting the strut take over.

The sound system is adequate and absolutely no better. The cones all appear to be fairly undersized (likely made to fit in the dash top and C-ring pods) but the sound with the EQ flatlined is very hollow and tinny. Bump up your low and mid and take down your high and it sounds like a fine car stereo system. There is plenty of power to keep the music audible even with the roof off and windows down at speed.

It's been pretty hot here - over 100 with nearly 100% humidity. It does take the back seat a few moments more to cool off than the front, but my kids have actually complained about getting cold while I have the front climate set to my comfort. When running AC with the roof off, I agree that the air movement pulls the cold air up and away from the back seat.

The lack of rear vents hasn't been an issue for us, though I'm sure the kids miss having their own climate controls like they had in my Flex and have in our Explorer. The complaints here seem to be loud enough that I can't imagine Ford not addressing it.

Nothing major at this point. I'd like to add the sill plates as there is a good bit of horizontal painted surface at the entrances that I could see getting scratched up. Other than that, some visual upgrades to the grille lettering and trailsights and inserts for the "BRONCO" on the passenger side dash will probably come along.

At this point I'm more inclined to put some money into upgrading the speakers. I don't need a sub or anything crazy, just a better full-range sound reproduction.

I'd expect it to be very, very similar. I'm curious myself to get into a 2dr at some point to see if it feels that much more nimble.

I noticed whistling around the mirrors and roof line once so far, and that was going 80mph down the interstate in moderate to high winds. Otherwise I haven't experienced it.

4" in both the dashtop and rear pods, 6.5" in the front kick panels.

To be fair they're 4" around... šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Edit: In all seriousness, a 4/6 4/6 front and 4/4 rear could be just fine with a properly reinforced cone and reasonable EQ work. I'm curious if the Bronco cones are a more weather-resistant material instead of pulp, which would contribute to the tinny sound.

I'd love to hear some woven, reinforced glass cone units in there. That would make a world of difference.
Have you returned to the truck from being inside a store/restaurant/etc. with an offer to buy it slipped under a windshield wiper or anything like that?

Sponsored
OP
OP
PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Have you returned to the truck from being inside a store/restaurant/etc. with an offer to buy it slipped under a windshield wiper or anything like that?
No, but there was a pair of panties on the side mirror after our gig last Saturday.*

*not really
**and I've really only left it parked somewhere for more than a few minutes on just a couple occasions.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Perhaps? I'll poke around today and try to get you a better answer.
While you're there maybe guesstimate if the dual ARB air compressor will fit under the passenger seat. Want to wire it up to an "ejection seat" button.

Wanderer351

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 E350 4x4 sportsmobile van. 2020 f150 2.7 crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fantastic right up and Iā€™m just up the road from you in Utica Ohio so I will keep an eye out! If somebody in a huge blue four-wheel-drive van or a blue F150 honks itā€™s me!

weā€™re very fortunate where we live there are tons of places that we can take it back road and even some unmaintained county roads Iā€™m really looking forward to putting my badly and Sasquatch through if the dealer will ever call me back so that I can get my order placed!!

If youā€™re on Facebook check out Weekend Wanderera USA or Midwest Overlanders! we have a huge group of like-minded family friendly folks travel back roads camp and generally have a good time

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ross, I'm happy to hear your Bronco is everything you expected. I was also looking forward to reviews by actual buyers of the Bronco. Those "normal guy" reviews tell me more than all of the "talking head" reviews put together.

cybersal

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm stoked that the Broncos are everything drivers have hoped for. SO looking forward to taking delivery this fall.
Sponsored