darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a SAS and plan to do a 3" lift on it. It's well known the CV angles are maxed out at full droop. I'm not a fan of the modifications required to do a diff drop (and loss of clearance) so I reached out to RCV. I planned to get a set of RCV axle shafts anyway but I was curious if they had an increased operating angle which would overcome the increased angles of a 3" lift.

RCVs are happy up to a 28 degree tolerance. Anyone know the tolerance of the stock CV joints on the SAS?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

survivormanca

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

survivormanca

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What type of lift are you planning? I don't believe CV angle would be an issue if you are doing coil-overs and UCAs. A spacer lift would be a different story.

OP
OP
darkscion0

darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I want to get a lift that will actually give me 3" of usable suspension travel. A lot of lifts out there get around the CV issue by just having the vehicle "live" in a different area of the stock suspension travel which gives you a lift but offers nothing in additional droop, travel or articulation.

What type of lift are you planning? I don't believe CV angle would be an issue if you are doing coil-overs and UCAs. A spacer lift would be a different story.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I want to get a lift that will actually give me 3" of usable suspension travel. A lot of lifts out there get around the CV issue by just having the vehicle "live" in a different area of the stock suspension travel which gives you a lift but offers nothing in additional droop, travel or articulation.
So you are talking not just a lift but increasing travel? If so, what you need firstly is a pocket full of extra cash hanging around. A lift alone isn't going give extra travel. Longer travel coilovers, UCAs, rear control arms & sway bars...bunch of money to do it right

OP
OP
darkscion0

darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh I'm well aware of what will be needed. The first obstacle is to ensure the CVs will survive.

So you are talking not just a lift but increasing travel? If so, what you need firstly is a pocket full of extra cash hanging around. A lift alone isn't going give extra travel. Longer travel coilovers, UCAs, rear control arms & sway bars...bunch of money to do it right

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh I'm well aware of what will be needed. The first obstacle is to ensure the CVs will survive.
I'm not sure what u seek actually exists yet! There's a Loren Healy video on YouTube w/ his and RTR's prototype lift/suspension, not sure when it will be available.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

it almost sounds like you want to reduce your useable suspension travel down to only 3" o_O

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry, I think you are referring to ball joint angle, not axle shaft CV joint angle. Any lift, no matter how the lift is constructed, will raise the vehicle and will increase the axle CV joint angle at full suspension droop. Plus, the axle CV joint needs enough available movement to also allow full turn lock to lock at that increased angle.

Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When I get some time, I'm going to lift the front end and pull a spring/shock out and test the angle and measure the whole suspension range.

Juat an FYI, Dirt Lifestyle just did a video with the owner of Marlin Crawler. They have an RCLT, rock crawler long travel, kit for the IFS Toyata's and we're doing a Q&A session. One of the questions was if they were planning on a kit for the New Bronco. His answer was "No comment!" Here's hoping!!!

https://www.marlincrawler.com/suspension/rclt/rclt-hd

JPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nothing is out yet, probably wont for a while too, IMHO, but you never know. I reached out to Metal Tech and they are working on a REAR long travel, probably with ICON , like they did for the FJs.

RCV is your best choice for axles, but i would open up the front dif. to see what's inside there and see if it's solid enough to tolerate the added stress they will add. So far, from some videos of people breaking , i doubt it, sadly ...

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I did a 1.5” diff drop which is almost unnoticeable (I still have 13” of ground clearance under it) and I also plan on a long travel setup and better axles and CVS. Eventually I'll run 40s, so I'll gain back whatever ground clearance I lost.
I highly suggest a diff drop if your wanting much droop . The stock SAS axles are close to max angle at 1” droop past factory, with a 1.5” diff drop, then 2.5” droop beyond factory is survivable on the stock CVS.
I've been having conversations with Dana almost daily regarding their upgraded Extreme duty 32 spline axles, I can tell you they are going into production as we speak. These should be stronger than the HD 29 splines that the aftermarket is coming out with. Hopefully they can handle a similar steep angle.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There’s a reason the two people I’ve seen running 4600 class bronco’s are running portal boxes. Keep that CV angle low and strong but get the lift at the wheel.
Sponsored