Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hopefully, I'll be able to undertake the simple mod this weekend. I had considered the TPM Plastics linked earlier. But they wanted $28 just to ship four blocks of the plastic in addition to the $15 charge. Not extravagant of a cost, just seemed wrong to spend double in shipping to ship. So I was clued into a different direction when another poster had to go to Lowe's to get a different blade to cut the plastic they were using. So I went to Lowe's just to see what I could repurpose and they have composite (PVC) decking. They offer free samples of TimberTech that are 1" thick 4"x5". The associate at the Pro Sales counter gave me one, but referred me to the TimberTech website for additional samples. TimberTech will send up to 4 samples free of charge w/ free shipping. Their samples are larger than the one given at Lowe's. I chose the darkest finishes (Dark Hickory seems like the darkest).
All finished.
Ford Bronco Operation "Raise Factory Running Boards" 20231208_131151

I should have bought the bolts from Amazon that was linked earlier from the get go. I figured I could find them locally. But apparently 45mm is rarer than hen's teeth. Ended up ordering the bolts leaving the unfinished project in clamps until they were delivered.

I ended up using the free sample from TimberTech. Dark Hickory from the Vintage Collection seemed to have the darkest finish. What you see is the underside of the deck board. The Vintage Collection is exactly 1" thick.
Ford Bronco Operation "Raise Factory Running Boards" 20231129_161907

Ford Bronco Operation "Raise Factory Running Boards" 20231129_162006

Ford Bronco Operation "Raise Factory Running Boards" 20231129_164617
Sponsored

Last edited:

JR23

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23’ Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just got around to finishing this mod after ordering the parts last month. Overall a cool mod for stock boards.

The Amazon orders bolts work great but were already showing light signs of rust after a week in the salt here in the Northeast.

I would highly recommend sourcing 1” thick material. I used the cutting board but twice the cutting and drilling and my cutting was less than perfect (using a saber saw).

The clips are the devil and taking time to tighten and straighten them helps but I am still missing a bolt on one side and basically gave up.

BigRed13

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just got this done on mine (my wifes actually) today. Was able to find a one inch thick cutting board on Amazon that was large enough to cut all six pieces from. Amazon.com: Restaurant Thick Black Plastic Cutting Board, 18x12, 1 Inch Thick: Home & Kitchen ($25) Also, had a few of the clips that were sliding around. I put a dab of super glue on them and let them set up while I was cutting the boards. Wish I would have done that on the first side I tried doing!

Ford Bronco Operation "Raise Factory Running Boards" before
Ford Bronco Operation "Raise Factory Running Boards" after

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just revisiting this thread and to emphasize what a difference the 1" makes (TWSS). Mine have held up just fine. Never really needed the steps. Have a set of rock rails that are easily swapped out. But the steps serve a purpose of catching gravel. I look forward to SCE with the raised steps as they will save my paint when navigating Rich Mtn, Parson Branch, Sparks Lane and other roads out of Cades Cove.

Sponsored

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All finished.

I should have bought the bolts from Amazon that was linked earlier from the get go. I figured I could find them locally. But apparently 45mm is rarer than hen's teeth. Ended up ordering the bolts leaving the unfinished project in clamps until they were delivered.

I ended up using the free sample from TimberTech. Dark Hickory from the Vintage Collection seemed to have the darkest finish. What you see is the underside of the deck board. The Vintage Collection is exactly 1" thick.

Did you have to trim the samples down? Or did you just use them as is?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did you have to trim the samples down? Or did you just use them as is?
They were trimmed using my circular miter saw. The samples come in 12" pieces. If you hit up the local HD for the free sample, they are 4"x4" samples. But the Pro Desk will only give out a sample or two. Ordering from TimberTech is free up to 4 samples.

The only issue I've seen is with the Amazon hardware linked earlier. It is so hard to find quality hardware. As I mentioned in my earlier write-up, I had tried to source the hardware locally, but had no luck as the size is popular and was unavailable at the different stores. Ended up getting the Amazon set. I've already noticed them rusting so I'll brush them down and blast with the rattle can.

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They were trimmed using my circular miter saw. The samples come in 12" pieces. If you hit up the local HD for the free sample, they are 4"x4" samples. But the Pro Desk will only give out a sample or two. Ordering from TimberTech is free up to 4 samples.

The only issue I've seen is with the Amazon hardware linked earlier. It is so hard to find quality hardware. As I mentioned in my earlier write-up, I had tried to source the hardware locally, but had no luck as the size is popular and was unavailable at the different stores. Ended up getting the Amazon set. I've already noticed them rusting so I'll brush them down and blast with the rattle can.
Oops... wish I knew that before I ordered 4 samples of it 😂. Seems McMaster has stainless steel screws that match so I might go with those. Thanks!

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Oops... wish I knew that before I ordered 4 samples of it 😂. Seems McMaster has stainless steel screws that match so I might go with those. Thanks!
Chop up what you need and pass along the samples to another Bronco owner looking to raise their steps. Also, on the TimberTech's website they do give the dimension of the samples. Depending on which product line, there are varying width and thickness. But if people order the sample that I mentioned, it will be 1" thick 5" wide and 12" long. Chop them down to size and you'll have a dimensional stable spacer.

Hardware from McMaster, I would trust.
Sponsored