Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@GucciFreshness

The 3rd try is a charm... So, I wasn't able to find a 10" blade near me that was suitable, but Lowes had a 7-1/4 "composite deck" blade and I picked that up and used it in my circular saw. Much better! So my edges aren't quite as clean/straight as yours, but you can't see that once installed.

I did take a few of the clip nuts back to my vice to align them better for re-installation.

This is what I would use for bolts... I ended up with some stainless steel as they didn't have any black oxide in the right size.

Amazon has them and less than $10 for 20. I paid $15 for 12 at ACE.

M6-1.0 x 45mm Flanged Hex Washer Head Bolts, 10.9 Grade Alloy Steel, Black Oxide Finish, Partial Thread, Coarse Thread UNC, 20 PCS

https://www.amazon.com/M6-1-0-Flanged-Washer-Finish-Thread/dp/B08ZJPSB7N/ref=sr_1_5?crid=329Q7ROY182VP&keywords=M6-1.0+X+45mm+Flanged+Hex+Head+bolts&qid=1687736402&s=hi&sprefix=m6-1.0+x+45mm+flanged+hex+head+bolts,tools,244&sr=1-5

The key to this project is the right "no melt" blade to cut the "plastic". This is what I used.

https://www.dewalt.com/product/dwa31740/7-14-composite-decking-saw-blade-40-tooth

I did find a product that would likely make this project even easier, but I was already vested in the materials I had. If starting from scratch I would consider this, it's a little more $$ but should be easier to work with standard woodworking tools, including a table saw:

https://www.amazon.com/BuyPlastic-M...6f9-b3a9-a75a8df6d355&pd_rd_i=B08M6CVGHJ&th=1

Quick look at my spacers after drilling.

raise step1.jpg

raise step2.jpg

I'm doing a full PPF in a couple weeks, so I will wait to install the trim until after that is done.
Looks perfect! I actually like the bolts you chose. And yeah, those clip nuts are a pain in the rear!! Definitely post some pics of the final product and your Bronco!!
Sponsored

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looks perfect! I actually like the bolts you chose. And yeah, those clip nuts are a pain in the rear!! Definitely post some pics of the final product and your Bronco!!
I love fabrication mods... It's easy to be so much more into the process and you actually have to do something other than bolt it on.

Although I could see someone making these and selling on Ebay, like they sell Jeep or Tacoma seat risers. I do encourage anyone wanting to try this to give it a go.

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Final step for me was a deviation from the original mod. I chose to use the DV8 Pinch Weld Covers.

https://dv8offroad.com/products/4-door-bronco-pinch-weld-cover?_pos=1&_sid=b8328953d&_ss=r

Here’s a few shots of the finished product.

Ford Bronco Operation "Raise Factory Running Boards" IMG_6350

Ford Bronco Operation "Raise Factory Running Boards" IMG_6348

Ford Bronco Operation "Raise Factory Running Boards" IMG_6347

Being a regular rock crawler with my Jeeps, the OBX running boards were the one thing I didn’t like about the OBX trim.

But the Bronco is going camping and to the beach…. So this mod fits the use and the wife says it’s a huge improvement over the stock OBX look.

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So did this mod yesterday afternoon and really like the new height of the running boards (thanks to OP). However, did run into issues with bolts/clips when re-attaching with the spacers. The bolts were a bear to reinstall (I used the Amazon ones from the link above). Two per side would not screw back in no matter what I did. Couple of things that helped: 1) drill the spacer holes larger which gave the bolts more room to align with the clips and, 2) only install the bolts loosely until all are started before tightening . I suspect the issue is the longer bolts don't have the (smaller diameter non-threaded tip) on the bottom to properly align them with the clips - unlike the OEM bolts, the replacement bolts are threaded all the way to the tip. Cutting the spacers was a breeze using my table saw with a (#60 general purpose blade). Going to get some new clips for the remaining ones that wouldn't seat as I suspect at this point they are stripped. Also have the DV8 pinch weld covers ordered so I'll readdress the clips once they arrive.

Thanks again awesome (and mostly) fun mod!!

BruceAZ

Badlands
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands/Sas, 04 Jeep Rucicon, 85 MB Gwagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
WOW, just found this thread. My Badlands came with rock sliders. The darn SAS tires threw rocks from day one and chiped the paint. I bought a set of the stock steps used here and replaced the rock sliders. They protect the bottom of the doors from rocks thrown by the tires, but lowered the clearance by about 2".
I gotta get busy and do this mod. Is there any reason that wood cut to size would not work for the spacers if an appropriate thickness is chosen?

Sponsored

soldier989

Base
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base MT / 2021 MX-5 GT / 1966 Ford F10
Your Bronco Model
Base
Rot comes to mind.

OP
OP
GucciFreshness

GucciFreshness

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

WOW, just found this thread. My Badlands came with rock sliders. The darn SAS tires threw rocks from day one and chiped the paint. I bought a set of the stock steps used here and replaced the rock sliders. They protect the bottom of the doors from rocks thrown by the tires, but lowered the clearance by about 2".
I gotta get busy and do this mod. Is there any reason that wood cut to size would not work for the spacers if an appropriate thickness is chosen?
I was thinking of long term durability as well but in dry Arizona it may last longer. The only other reasons I may go with something synthetic is that the wood may compress or expand over time and the fitment may suffer. Also, a piece of half inch treated wood may be almost as much as the $20 cutting board with lumber prices unlees you already have some. Keep us updated!

soldier989

Base
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base MT / 2021 MX-5 GT / 1966 Ford F10
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wood would be easy and cheap enough to replace by the time it became a problem. If you get ground contact treated wood and painted it, I could see it last a while even for us in wet climates. I don't see anything getting in there that would shred/break the wood. It could eventually split at a very inconvenient time. Definitely could use wood as a trial to see if you like it. Those are just some things that come to mind regarding the wood option.

I think the blocks of plastic would be much better peace of mind. There's multiple things you could do.

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So did this mod yesterday afternoon and really like the new height of the running boards (thanks to OP). However, did run into issues with bolts/clips when re-attaching with the spacers. The bolts were a bear to reinstall (I used the Amazon ones from the link above). Two per side would not screw back in no matter what I did. Couple of things that helped: 1) drill the spacer holes larger which gave the bolts more room to align with the clips and, 2) only install the bolts loosely until all are started before tightening . I suspect the issue is the longer bolts don't have the (smaller diameter non-threaded tip) on the bottom to properly align them with the clips - unlike the OEM bolts, the replacement bolts are threaded all the way to the tip. Cutting the spacers was a breeze using my table saw with a (#60 general purpose blade). Going to get some new clips for the remaining ones that wouldn't seat as I suspect at this point they are stripped. Also have the DV8 pinch weld covers ordered so I'll readdress the clips once they arrive.

Thanks again awesome (and mostly) fun mod!!
No doubt that straightening up the clip nuts and getting them lined up and YES, starting them all before tightening them is the part that takes the most patience in this whole project. Just disassembling the step deformed at least half of my clip nuts and they were falling off the step as I removed it. When you put them back on, you can see they don't align well and would be difficult to start the bolt. A little work in my vice with needle nose pliers and it wasn't too bad.

Reactions: Rat

Sponsored

Rat

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr Bronco Wildtrak, 22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thank you guys for sharing your work. I did mine today and am really pleased. I bought the 1” blocks from TPM plastics (King StarBoard - Marine Board HDPE - Black
1 (1.00)" Thick, 3-1/4 inches Wide, 3-1/4 inches Long, Color: Black – 137) 4 @ $28.73 delivered.

I just removed the entire step assembly rather than just the bolt holding the steps so I could better see what I was doing. The whole process from drilling the holes to putting back together took about 1 1/2 hours. Would go quicker if you have helping hands. :)

Ford Bronco Operation "Raise Factory Running Boards" IMG_5675

Ford Bronco Operation "Raise Factory Running Boards" IMG_5676

Ford Bronco Operation "Raise Factory Running Boards" IMG_5677

Ford Bronco Operation "Raise Factory Running Boards" IMG_5678

Ford Bronco Operation "Raise Factory Running Boards" IMG_5679

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Had been told 37's wouldn't work with factory running boards so I ordered some Go Rhino RB20s. They are still shipping with wrong brackets and was told the right brackets are backordered with no expected date so I'm sending those back. I tried putting back on the factory steps and after sliding them back slightly they worked fine with zero rub. I just didn't like how low they hung down. I knew that body lift pucks were just poly and could hold a whole unibody so I just ordered a $20 professional cutting board to try since it only had to hold a step. It worked fine. 1/2 thick board doubled up raised the factory boards to exactly where the RB20s sat with just a small part of the pinch weld showing. I ordered some $40 one-inch matte black auto trim and put that behind the steps and now I'm happier than if I had the $500 Go Rhino boards because the tapered design of the RB20s left more space open between the flare and step for dirt and mud to come through. If anyone wants to try this themselves and wants some details just let me know. This forum helped me out a ton and I'd love to give back.

How are the raised steps working out for you? Are the spacers stable? Is the adhesive trim for the pinch welds holding up? Anything that you would do different?

OP
OP
GucciFreshness

GucciFreshness

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How are the raised steps working out for you? Are the spacers stable? Is the adhesive trim for the pinch welds holding up? Anything that you would do different?
The steps are still great. Even though I used some blue loctite, I still check for tightness of the hardware periodically. The poly still looks new. Also, the trim has not budged. I didn't figure it would since it was made as exterior automotive trim. I really can't think of anything I'd have done differently. Hope it helps!

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Could probably just use some hockey pucks too instead :ROFLMAO: 🇨🇦

Great, innovative solution. Looks much better!

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hopefully, I'll be able to undertake the simple mod this weekend. I had considered the TPM Plastics linked earlier. But they wanted $28 just to ship four blocks of the plastic in addition to the $15 charge. Not extravagant of a cost, just seemed wrong to spend double in shipping to ship. So I was clued into a different direction when another poster had to go to Lowe's to get a different blade to cut the plastic they were using. So I went to Lowe's just to see what I could repurpose and they have composite (PVC) decking. They offer free samples of TimberTech that are 1" thick 4"x5". The associate at the Pro Sales counter gave me one, but referred me to the TimberTech website for additional samples. TimberTech will send up to 4 samples free of charge w/ free shipping. Their samples are larger than the one given at Lowe's. I chose the darkest finishes (Dark Hickory seems like the darkest).
Sponsored

Last edited: